El Coyote quilt on a Zenbivy light sheet?

Curious if something like this is a possibility. Looks like the Zenbivy Light system has hooks or loops rather than zipper like their regular bed. The EC quilt for my size is a full 9oz lighter than the Zenbivy Light offering but I really like the idea of the sheet with the wings ZB offers. Thoughts?

turley

Lil-Rokslider
What would be the advantage of this over a El Coyote Quilt paired with a Borah Gear Bivy?
Seems like the Borah would offer better protection from drafts and bugs.

OP
ScreamingPotato
What would be the advantage of this over a El Coyote Quilt paired with a Borah Gear Bivy?
I'll check out the Borah, never seen it before. Mainly what interests me on the ZB sheet is the wings that keep the quilt tucked in on the sides and the hood up top that the quilt tucks into, hood looks super comfy. lol

turley

Lil-Rokslider

With a bivy it keeps your pad and quilt together inside of it and the water resistant breathable fabric helps prevent moisture from collecting on the outside of the quilt fabric.
With either a bivy or a zen bivy light sheet it would be paired with a tarp for rain protection.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The advantage to the ZenBivy system is an insulated hood and the sheet covers either all of your pad or half the pad depending on the model. You're still sleeping directly on the pad in a bivy. You also aren't kicking out a leg if you're hot or need to stretch out a cramp in a bivy. The Borah has a place, but will be nowhere near as comfortable and flexible as the ZenBivy setup. Bivys don't breathe that well either, no matter the marketing or claims. I have several, they are all a compromise.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider

I'm not sure how well this would work with an El Coyote quilt, but it looks like you can adapt a variety of quilts to fit the zenbivy system

I have been looking at this. You could make some clips to go over the top. Elastic cord and a clip can’t be that hard.

BBob

WKR
This has been discussed in another thread. It is possible and people have done it. Someone from Zenbivy supplied the recommended dimensions on Backpacking Light to add the loops to any quilt to make it work on any of the ZB sheets. See the link to the thread below for more info. I just received a light sheet to try but I haven’t had time to mess with it yet.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I have been looking at this. You could make some clips to go over the top. Elastic cord and a clip can’t be that hard.
If you’re adding elastic cords over the top of your bag or quilt you’re likely going to be reducing loft. Might be okay as a test but probably not the best solution for full time use. The Zenbivy already has plastic clips for I believe 2mm cord.

Last edited:
It would not have to be tight just enough tension to hold the wings up but I get what you’re saying.

Red33

FNG
This has been discussed in another thread. It is possible and people have done it. Someone from Zenbivy supplied the recommended dimensions on Backpacking Light to add the loops to any quilt to make it work on any of the ZB sheets. See the link to the thread below for more info. I just received a light sheet to try but I haven’t had time to mess with it yet.
This. I did it and it worked excellent.