*edited*Official roast the first time elk hunter thread

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first time in Montana. My best friend and I are hunting with a family member that lives near Anaconda and gets out a decent bit every year with mixed success. He's going to go with us quite a bit, but also drew a special tag and obviously wants to hunt that unit a bit during September.

Before someone tries to start a roast over me asking about units, just know I'm not asking for advice, help, spots, or anything someone has worked hard to learn.

I was just curious to see if anyone on here has had past archery success in these units in September.

Would love to see pictures of peoples bulls(or cows) from the area if anyone has them!

Please dont hate me for being a NR Montana hunter. At least we're hunting with a local, right?

Last edited:
OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
It’s that taboo huh? lol

I appreciate the couple of guys that shot me a PM

Good luck everybody!

There will most likely be a ton of pressure anywhere that has decent road access. People are lazy though and just like anywhere if you get a few miles off the road you’ll get away from 90% of the pressure. Good luck, Montana can be tough

slick

WKR
Pressure has increased in those areas in recent years IME.
Have also pulled bulls out of that country.
Have also been unsuccessful.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the insight guys

I kind of expected there to be quite a few people around. Especially since it seems like more and more people are going to Montana

I was just curious if anyone had any success despite the pressure

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
You have been on this forum for a few years. You should know not to post specific units.

Again, I wasn't asking for insight, locations, or what the elk are currently doing out there at all.

I just wanted to hear what other peoples past success was and/or see pictures of peoples elk taken from the units.

Those two units collectively cover an area of 665,000 acres. You think I'm going to identify an aspen tree in the back of someone's picture or something?

I truly dont see how saying "yeah I killed a 6 point in there two years ago", "no I haven't shot anything there in 3 years", or sharing pictures is going to cause any harm or give someone any insight on what to do or where to go.

Regardless, accept my ignorant non-resident apologies. Didnt mean to offend anyone

slick

WKR
Is there a way to edit the unit numbers out of the original post?

In fact, I know there is. Might not be a bad idea.

I think posts like this usually say - I'm not asking for specifics - but that is exactly what you're hoping for - come on man be honest!

bsnedeker

WKR
I truly dont see how saying "yeah I killed a 6 point in there two years ago", "no I haven't shot anything there in 3 years", or sharing pictures is going to cause any harm or give someone any insight on what to do or where to go.

Sigh...this has been explained over an over and over and over and over again, but ok, ONE MORE TIME FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

Yes, GMU's are large areas....but how much area of any given GMU is actually conducive to DIY elk hunting? It's much less than people actually think. Now, your idea is that it would be great if you identified a specific unit in Montana and then have people share their pics of dead elk in that unit. Now every random person who googles that unit number comes up with this post and sees all the great pictures of dead elk and thinks "oh, this is a great area that I need to hunt", and now the 10% of the actual huntable area in that unit is covered by 500 more hunters than there would have been otherwise because of this post.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I think posts like this usually say - I'm not asking for specifics - but that is exactly what you're hoping for - come on man be honest!

Dude I'm literally hunting there for 14 Days with a local that has lived in the anaconda area and successfully hunted those units his entire adult life

So, no, I truly am not after that.

Thank you for knowing everything though. Super helpful of you.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Sigh...this has been explained over an over and over and over and over again, but ok, ONE MORE TIME FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

Yes, GMU's are large areas....but how much area of any given GMU is actually conducive to DIY elk hunting? It's much less than people actually think. Now, your idea is that it would be great if you identified a specific unit in Montana and then have people share their pics of dead elk in that unit. Now every random person who googles that unit number comes up with this post and sees all the great pictures of dead elk and thinks "oh, this is a great area that I need to hunt", and now the 10% of the actual huntable area in that unit is covered by 500 more hunters than there would have been otherwise because of this post.

Alright.

This answer actually perfectly makes sense and I now further extend my apology for my ignorance.

Not sure why it takes 15 douchey replies to get one well explained one, but thank you bsnedeker!

woods89

WKR

This should be stickied!

Bachto

WKR
Here is another thing to consider when making posts like this. I didn't see this thread before when it had the unit numbers. Though I figured out what 2 units your buddy could have a tag for in about .2 seconds from the information you gave. You said "lives near anaconda and has a special draw tag that he wants to hunt some in September". There are only TWO units near anaconda that are special draw elk tags. I knew this because I'm hunting the same ish area but it takes no time at all in Gohunt to figure that out. So I can with some accuracy figure out what units you will be hunting in, especially since those 2 units literally border each other.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Here is another thing to consider when making posts like this. I didn't see this thread before when it had the unit numbers. Though I figured out what 2 units your buddy could have a tag for in about .2 seconds from the information you gave. You said "lives near anaconda and has a special draw tag that he wants to hunt some in September". There are only TWO units near anaconda that are special draw elk tags. I knew this because I'm hunting the same ish area but it takes no time at all in Gohunt to figure that out. So I can with some accuracy figure out what units you will be hunting in, especially since those 2 units literally border each other.

The post wasn't in reference to those two units at all whatsoever. I dont care about them and they have no relevance to me.

We dont have a tag for those units and will be hunting generals elsewhere.

He's going to try to help us fill our general tags first, then move on to his draw tag afterward, whether we are still in town or not.

Again, I get everyones point.

No one let the cat out the bag on anything. I received some super helpful PMs giving info I didnt even remotely ask for.

Even had someone exchange phone numbers and offer to help out if needed while were out there.

I get it though. No publicly discussing unit numbers. We're good

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thank you for knowing everything though. Super helpful of you.
Not sure why it takes 15 douchey replies to get one well explained one, but thank you bsnedeker!

Maybe I can help out with the "douchey" reply thing. It's real simple-you posted unit numbers on the internet, and then got snippy or douchey as you say to those you are trying to get info out of when they made you aware.

You mentioned your local buddy that's lived there his whole life. Would this not be the ultimate source of "local" knowledge?? Boots on the ground from a known and trusted source is not comparable even in the slightest to asking dudes on a forum.

Thank you for removing the unit numbers-seriously. You sound excited for the hunt, that's awesome. Enjoy and good luck!

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I can help out with the "douchey" reply thing. It's real simple-you posted unit numbers on the internet, and then got snippy or douchey as you say to those you are trying to get info out of when they made you aware.

You mentioned your local buddy that's lived there his whole life. Would this not be the ultimate source of "local" knowledge?? Boots on the ground from a known and trusted source is not comparable even in the slightest to asking dudes on a forum.

Thank you for removing the unit numbers-seriously. You sound excited for the hunt, that's awesome. Enjoy and good luck!

Guys. This is literally the third time I've written this.

I DO NOT WANT AND AM NOT TRYING TO GET ANYONES INFORMATION/KNOWLEDGE.

Please quote one thing I said that led anyone to believe I was fishing for info.

Youre right, I do have a local. I dont need any info.

I literally just thought it would be cool to see or hear about animals people have harvested in the past there.

I dont give a crap where you did it. I dont care how you did it. I dont care if you called, or stalked, or tree stand hunted. I dont care what the date was. I dont care if you were in a meadow or dark timber. I dont care if they were bugling or silent. I dont care if you were in the big hole or in the pioneers. I didnt want anyones knowledge. I just wanted to see what people have killed in there.

The harvest records are public information. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can see exactly how many bulls, cows, and 6pt+ bulls were killed in any given unit per Montana FWP website. Its not like its some big secret how many animals are taken out of these units and what the overall success rate is. Montana literally publishes it.

Again, I just thought it would be cool to actually see some of them.