EDC Knife Choice - Want Edge retention and sharpness

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have had/ carried a pile of edc knives in the past...my two absolute favorites are actually bargain type knives due to price. First is a sog terminus xr in D2 only mod I made was remove the thumb stud ( I hate thumb studs) second is a kubey pretender in D2. Both knives can be had for under $60
I pretty much gave up carrying anything else for edc.

Beendare

WKR
What's a good EDC with good blade retention? Here is what i'm looking for when I wanna go hiking'

1. Fairly lightweight since I will keep it in my pocket (<3.5oz)
2. Longer blade ideally (>3.25")
3. Quality Steel

I know there are steels out there like S95V from Benchmade that are called super steels but they are very hard to sharpen but supposedly retain edge well. Is there any other EDC out there I should be looking at? I hate Spyderco designs in general by the way. Never liked their para designs
So many great steel options.

I like my Mini Griptillian in 1054cm….it stays sharp, easy to sharpen.
Its close to S30v…its not S90v…a happy medium. I save the S90v for processing knives- my favorite.

Have always had good luck with spyderco. The para’s are great too and won’t break the bank. You don’t feel bad about using and abusing them.

jmassart

FNG
After 50 years of sharpening (trying) with stones and guides , lansky's, diamond sticks, carbide stuff etc. I finally got a worksharp belt sharpener. I can now get shaving sharp on all my pocket and kitchen knives. Even a caveman can do it!
These things have made sharpening so much easier. Each knife reacts a little differently but it works great.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
What model belt sharpener are you folks using?

I need to look into of these. Do you still need to strop it (or other finishing work) after using the belt sharpener?

Thanks,

Eddie

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
WorkSharp Ken Onion sharpener.... work your way through the belts depending on how dull your knife is determines which belt you start with. Finishing belt is determined on how "crazy sharp" you want your knife. Great system. Just be careful with the knife tips on the belt. Never run the tip all the way across the belt as you are making a "pass" along the belt. If you draw the tip across the blade it will round the tip off. Not desirable. I watched some videos on YT when i first got my unit and it really helped with the learning curve.

sndmn11

WKR

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Kershaw Blur is a great blade for the cost.
Easy open/assisted open, whether strong or weak hand, and whether you engage it tip up or tip down.
The sculpted tabs work great.

nosajnh

FNG
I have been carrying a Ken Onion serrated Leek for about 8 months and love it. The blade material is 14C28N. I touch the blade up with a couple strokes on a oval diamond steel a couple times a week and it cuts paper better than scissors. Is it shaving sharp, no however it does not need to be. The blade is 3" lg. and has assisted opening which I love. The knife is thin, so I keep it in the 5th pocket of jeans so it stays separate from keys or my cell phone in my front pocket. The serrated blade is a must for my EDC as I use it all the time. The knife will also slide into dress pants without being too bulky.

Seth

WKR
This is going to be a hell of a knife for the money (I have one in 20cv, they're ugly but man are they good tools).

Thanks for the link. I was looking for something like this and the price was very reasonable.

Thanks for the link. I was looking for something like this and the price was very reasonable.
There's not even a need to qualify it by saying "for the money"; it's just a great knife, period. :)

I have a Bradley 1 and an Air, they are great, and I love liner locks. The Air can slay boxes with the best in the world, and the Bradley has been through a few animals.

View attachment 519998
The GB1 is a heck of a knife in my opinion. That plus the GB2 and Bombshell have completely changed my opinion on liner locks; a high-quality example is pretty much unbeatable in actual use.

IMG_6226.jpeg

Photos don't quite do the level of finishing and quality on this knife justice. It feels great in hand, and the performance of the deeply hollow-ground blade is pretty much unbeatable in a folding knife. It's all the things I appreciate about the GB2 in an even-more-solid package with better ergos, at least for my hand.

Looks nice. I snagged an M4 Shaman not too long ago. But my Daily Carry.....the Manix hits the pocket every time. Just grabbed a basic DLC Manix with Lynch clip from Lynch which is right down the road. Nothing flashy. But sits low, uber thin, and should be super easy to sharpen. For $154