Easton fmj or gold tip or ???

Drelk

FNG
I dropped the fmjs and went to the kinetics.

I'm hard on stuff when I hunt. I was always wondering if I bent an fmj when I snagged my quiver or brushed against a tree.

Kinetics. I don't have those worries

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm really pissed that they got rid of the kinetic XT's they were cheaper and basically the same arrow.

I just bought a dozen Kinetic XT 200's a month and a half ago. You can still find them around. I won't use a nock bushing on them, and will only use HIT's. They spin better, they fly better, they pull better, and they look better.

If they'd get rid of the bushings, the outserts, and the collars, they'd be much more affordable and better for me as I'm going to toss all that stuff anyway.

I just bought a dozen Kinetic XT 200's a month and a half ago. You can still find them around. I won't use a nock bushing on them, and will only use HIT's. They spin better, they fly better, they pull better, and they look better.

Exactly right on all accounts. I'll have to look around.

MattB

WKR
I am not sure of the difference if there is any between the old FMJs and the new Deep 6 FMJs, other then the obvious . My experience is only with the Deep 6. I think they royally suck balls and if I wasn't hunting em in less then a week I'd be chucking em all in the burn pit. About a month ago I started strictly shooting broadheads out of my bows and I would get some flyers and after playing with shit came to realize some of my arrows were bent, causing these flyers. Threw 2 of them. These were normal use non hunting practice arrows.. On top of that, ive been shooting into a Glendell and let me show you these FMJs don't like anything hard in those targets. 2 more arrows down the shitter in the last couple weeks. Funny thing is I don't recall all these issues shooting carbon. And 5miles is right I bet if people spun test them more they wouldn't be happy

After this year I will forever be staying away from anything FMJ. Each their own though I guess.

45adc01c61a05efc545e28b865ac5ef0.jpg

5003124d35ae5643b41a6535a2eebdf2.jpg

With the shafts being damaged by the BH blades being pushed back, that is a BH problem or a user problem and not a shaft problem per se.

I myself prefer all carbon IC shafts, with Carbon Techs being my current choice. I shot Gold Tips over a decade ago and their spine tolerances were horrible (wouldn't group well), but I understand they have gotten much better.

Last edited:

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot fmj's for about 4 years. Never really had any issues with them. Swithched to black eagle rampages this year because I'm picky. I wanted to build an arrow at 520-535 grains with 14-16% foc. The arrows have seemed o.k. When they hit things besides foam theyre toast. Also seem fairly fragile when hit by another arrow. Think I will try some gold tips next year.

Whisky

WKR
With the shafts being damaged by the BH blades being pushed back, that is a BH problem or a user problem and not a shaft problem per se.

I myself prefer all carbon IC shafts, with Carbon Techs being my current choice. I shot Gold Tips over a decade ago and their spine tolerances were horrible (wouldn't group well), but I understand they have gotten much better.
Ok I'll bite because if there is a viable fix for this I'm all ears...how is it a user problem? Thanks

Elc1973

FNG
Sometime I think we are a little too demanding of our gear. I shoot the FMJ 300's and have bent a couple by hitting trees at local 3D shoots, but was not mad that the arrow bent I was upset for not making a better shot!! If I shot one into a cinder block or piece of steel I would expect any arrow to be damaged. I think the FMJ line is super tough and durable. Just my opinion and we know what that's worth!

bwlacy

WKR
Ok I'll bite because if there is a viable fix for this I'm all ears...how is it a user problem? Thanks

Try the UBARS from Easton. It's basically a washer to spread the force out and protect the end of the shaft. I'm pretty sure they recommend them on all HIT inserted arrows. I don't know if that will fix the problem but it couldn't hurt and they can't be very expensive.

TheTone

WKR
ACC Pro Hunter is discontinued.

Such a bummer; I wish they would come back as I love mine. I'm not a huge fan of the HIT's or outsert systems. I'm not looking forward to my supply running out and having to start over on arrows

_RJ_

FNG
Sometime I think we are a little too demanding of our gear. I shoot the FMJ 300's and have bent a couple by hitting trees at local 3D shoots, but was not mad that the arrow bent I was upset for not making a better shot!! If I shot one into a cinder block or piece of steel I would expect any arrow to be damaged. I think the FMJ line is super tough and durable. Just my opinion and we know what that's worth!

Agreed!

_RJ_

FNG
Such a bummer; I wish they would come back as I love mine. I'm not a huge fan of the HIT's or outsert systems. I'm not looking forward to my supply running out and having to start over on arrows

I was about to switch over to the Pro Hunter. I have 6 and I love them. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.

MattB

WKR

At a minimum, I would use a UBAR. But frankly, using that style BH with a shaft that doesn't have the thickness of the lip of the insert protecting the end of the shaft is asking for problems. With that shaft type I would look to use a BH style where the body of the BH takes the brunt of the blades being pushed back rather than a washer or the shaft.

jmez

WKR
I have yet to find and arrow that doesn't reliably break when you hit hard things not designed to be shot with and arrow. Never really understood the whole "tough" arrow thing. I expect that they will break when hitting rocks, metal, etc.

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have yet to find and arrow that doesn't reliably break when you hit hard things not designed to be shot with and arrow. Never really understood the whole "tough" arrow thing. I expect that they will break when hitting rocks, metal, etc.
I expect breakage as well but my reds just seem abnormally brittle.

full draw

FNG
I have shot fmj and gold tips exclusively for years.

Fmj they fly better out of the box. They carry better in down range windy conditions. I have had laminate issues with one arrow. They bend but not easy. And their pricey. Biggest pro imo is they won't grenade on release if it has a weak spot leaving you impaled.

Gold tips are less expensive and require some fletchings modifications to compete with the fmjs flight. The ez fletch has given me the best flight out of em. they have less gpi relatively speaking of your after an arrow with a punch.

My financial situations has me shooting gold tips and they work well for me. If money wasn't a factor I would shoot the fmj until the lights burn out.

Whisky

WKR
At a minimum, I would use a UBAR. But frankly, using that style BH with a shaft that doesn't have the thickness of the lip of the insert protecting the end of the shaft is asking for problems. With that shaft type I would look to use a BH style where the body of the BH takes the brunt of the blades being pushed back rather than a washer or the shaft.
I gotcha. We'll if it matters any I would rather be shooting the Magnus Stinger but they don't come in D6. I experimented with a new, D6 arrow and broadhead and I guess this style just isn't for me. I don't like HITS that require special adapters, or arrows that need those outserts. Those adapters were mentioned to me last year when these came out but at the time they didn't make one for them yet, and I haven't looked since. So that would be my fault

After this season I will be going back to ST Epics and Stingers until I find something I can trust just the same. I never had these issues with that set up.

MattB

WKR
I gotcha. We'll if it matters any I would rather be shooting the Magnus Stinger but they don't come in D6. I experimented with a new, D6 arrow and broadhead and I guess this style just isn't for me. I don't like HITS that require special adapters, or arrows that need those outserts. Those adapters were mentioned to me last year when these came out but at the time they didn't make one for them yet, and I haven't looked since. So that would be my fault

After this season I will be going back to ST Epics and Stingers until I find something I can trust just the same. I never had these issues with that set up.

I'm with you on the HIT/D6 set-ups. Easton marketing will tell you it's a step forward.....but they don't tell you about the two steps back. :)

NorthT

FNG
I've shot fmj since 2008 and love them. Only time I've bent one was with glen del buck hitting the rod in the lower half. Bad shot on my part. I do like axis arrows , just wished they were a little heavier gpi. Never cared for ce, I have been wanting to try gt kinetics but have no reason to change at this point. Plus fmj and easier to remove from target than standard carbon to me. I have never used the adapter rings.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sometime I think we are a little too demanding of our gear.

I don't expect anything of my gear that I don't expect of myself. And I have extremely high expectations of both. It's my money, I have a right to expect a lot. I do a lot of stump shooting, grouse shooting on rocky and gravelly ground, and I'm just generally very hard on my equipment (as well as my body).

Bottom line is........my all-carbon TR Crush 300's and Kinetic XT 200's are head and shoulders more durable than the FMJ's. Heck, I have a dozen TR Crush 300's that I've been shooting since 2008 at about 10-12k arrows shot a year, and I still have 8 of the 12 and they're going strong still and spin perfectly with fixed heads. And at least four of them have been shot into or through elk. That's what I expect of my arrows.