Eastman's takes a stance on long range hunting as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Idaho has a 16 pound gun limit that stemmed directly from guys shooting elk at distances further than we shoot now, with 50BMGs. I believe that all happened in the 80s. Enforceable? Never see game wardens, let alone ones with certified scales.

This whole thing reminds me of gun control.
That's exactly what I meant about things getting pushed to far, to the point where restrictions are set without hunters influence.

Sam since you are definitely one of the resident experts, what would suggest as reasonable limits?

What I would suggest is to do nothing. Each state has the right and responsibility to enact and enforce its own game laws. Idaho is doing just fine, thank you. If B&C wants to set distance limits on book entries, Eastman's wants to ban long range type stories, and Eberlestock doesn't want to sell their packs to LR hunters, let 'em!

jmez

WKR
A few problems I see with trying to draw a so called line in the sand on this issue. You can restrict the equipment but not the shooter. That is going to make the situation worse as now the long range shooters are going to do the same thing with equipment not suited for the purpose. You will have people that have little understanding of the issue making the rules. This is going to spill over and inadvertently set limits on all of the firearms. This could very well end up being a careful what you wish for situation.

Other than weight and optics what would they limit? I don't know much about it. Yes they limit archery equipment but most all of those regulations are minimums not limiting the upper end. I think archery is actually going the other way. You see more states allowing crossbows during archery seasons, lighted nocks and sights are being allowed in more places. More companies are making slider type sights allowing you to shoot 100+ yards with the turn of a dial. The archery community seems to embrace the new technologies.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
One you start putting limits on things there seems to be a snowball effect. Start putting a limit on rifles soon there would be limits on bows.

If you limit the equipment you would still have guys trying long shots with subpar gear, rifle or bow!

jmez

WKR
You can't legislate behavior. If they try, even with hunters input, it will end badly and we will be the losers.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree no matter the rule someone will try to side step it and dwell within the less defined gray areas

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I would suggest is to do nothing. Each state has the right and responsibility to enact and enforce its own game laws. Idaho is doing just fine, thank you. If B&C wants to set distance limits on book entries, Eastman's wants to ban long range type stories, and Eberlestock doesn't want to sell their packs to LR hunters, let 'em!
Interesting response. I would prefer nothing be done as well and to each their own but didn't you say earlier that you were there fighting for spring bear and a couple other things? So you know very well how things can turn emotional and get out of hand quickly and have dire consequences on hunters. Wouldn't it be a better scenario if we as hunters took a more proactive role in setting our own rules rather than let a free for all stir emotions in those that previously didn't care and give the antis fuel? If the general population that doesn't care sees us doing a fair job regulating ourselves and taking an interest in when to say enough is enough, then they are more likely to vote in favor of hunter friendly bills and not meddling in things that do not really concern them. If we let every just go then boundaries will continue to be pushed until hunters are looked on poorly by people that would otherwise not care. I'll go back to poison tipping arrows as an example. One could tip his arrows in poison as extra insurance that his quarry would die fairly quickly even if hit poorly accidentally, not terribly illogical. Then you have the guy who tips his arrows so that he doesn't have to shoot well, in fact so he could intentionally take bad shots and still kill his game. The latter would surely put hunters in a bad light quickly and the antis would have a ton of fuel against bow hunting period. So the answer is to make poison illegal. The same logic applies to limit ranges or gear in LRH, if manageable limits are not imposed by hunters then someone with too much money and not enough sense is going to make hunters look bad and that affects us all. Yes states have the right to govern themselves but we can affect how that takes place and when one state starts something new, others pay attention.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
One you start putting limits on things there seems to be a snowball effect. Start putting a limit on rifles soon there would be limits on bows.

If you limit the equipment you would still have guys trying long shots with subpar gear, rifle or bow!

There are limits on bows and muzzleloaders. Yes you will still have guys trying to shoot beyond the equipment but at least it puts up a good front and shows we are trying to do something.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Live2hunt everybody is looking for an edge to help them be better than the other guy out there ? What would you be willing to give up off your setup?

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't care that I'm better than anyone else. I'm actually probably going to give up my whole setup for traditional in the next couple of years.

The point is limitations will be set and anyone that thinks different is in denial. So it is better to open a dialog about it now and establish a semi unified stance as a hunting community other then the current "just leave us alone" mentality, which won't work when legislation is being passed. We can pull up a chair and have a seat at the table but what are we going to say when we're there?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
There are limits on bows and muzzleloaders. Yes you will still have guys trying to shoot beyond the equipment but at least it puts up a good front and shows we are trying to do something.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I know a guy shooting 180 yards with a compound. Seen a guy shoot a mule deer on TV with a ML at 325 yards with a peep site.

In the end all we are doing is dividing our core group of serious hunters, no matter the method. Seems like most of these hunting Organization are spearheading our own demise.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think the answer is? Should you be limited to 10 yards with your new traditional bow just EVERYONE else says that's the only way it can be fair chase?

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I know a guys shooting 180 yards with a compound. Seen a guy shoot a mule deer on TV with a ML at 325 yards with a peep site.

In the end all we are doing is dividing our core group of serious hunters, no matter the method. Seems like most of these hunting Organization are spearheading our own demise.
Yes I can shoot out past 100 with my compound too but would never shoot game at that distance. There are still limits though. Here in MO for example, no crossbows during archery unless you are disabled. Nothing that holds your bow in a drawn position. No laser sights. Etc... You can laugh all you want but there are plenty of restrictions on archery and muzzleloaders.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
This is my last post on this because I don't want to make it counterproductive. Anti's are pushing hard to stop all HUNTING. So I don't think we should give an inch on any of it. You can hunt with a stick or a LR rifle but in the end you are still killing......Some asshole in New York in a high rise condo just watched a WWF/PETA video on the internet. To him we are all the devil!

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think the answer is? Should you be limited to 10 yards with your new traditional bow just EVERYONE else says that's the only way it can be fair chase?
I can't answer either of those questions as I am proficient with neither weapon. I could tell you what limits most compound bow shooters should be limited to but that's another subject. I've asked the LRH on here and they seem unwilling to give an answer to reasonable rational limitations on long range hunting so when shtf and rules are made should I take the "not my circus not my monkeys" approach because what's the point of sticking together as hunters then when they need help while now they just close ranks and don't wish to attempt a viable solution. Do I think LRH is unethical, absolutely not. Do I think the majority of the world will see it as unethical, yep.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is the way I see it.........there's hunting, and there's shooting. If your intent is out to make a kill, and you're out doing that........you're hunting. As soon as you start to take the shot........you're shooting. So, it's not LR or SR hunting........it's LR or SR shooting.

As a bowhunter, when I step out of the truck it all starts out as LR hunting......until I decide to take the shot.

danarnold

WKR
Quote Originally Posted by mallacootasmoothie View Post
Everyone should watch this video before posting any further in this thread. And if you've aleady seen it, watch it again.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=d3k-rMm5mnA

Exactly!

X2

I had a lot of negative things to say to some of the people judging others on here in their posts, instead I sat back and watched and I'm glad I didn't especially after watching that video...thanks for posting it!

mt100gr.

WKR
The handful of LR rifle guys I know are every bit as in-tune with their weapon as I am with my bow. They can rattle off ballistics, load data, and rifle component specifics just like I can stand there and tell you all about my Hoyt. This impresses me, and I believe is critical for anyone to be proficient with whatever weapons they choose.

After a few years of almost exclusively bow hunting, I am experiencing something of a "rifle-revival" I am having loads of fun shooting and hunting so far this season and am really delving into the research as I look forward to setting up a new mountain rifle....just what happens when the wife decides she "needs" a minivan.

Interesting thing I have noticed, witnessed, heard about and have been party to: among the hunters I regularly communicate with, more clean kills and easy recoveries have resulted from the LR approach. Mid-range rifle shooting and close quarters archery tactics have actually turned up a lot of poor shots and terribly executed fundamentals.

I guess if I were going to get shot or shot at, I would appreciate not being tricked and manipulated, running in to fight another sex crazed dude only to have arrows whistling toward you....no thanks. Just pick me off from afar. IMHO, there is a lot of gray area when buzz words like "fair chase" and "ethics" are used. We all know the legal regulations and restrictions of the areas we hunt so as long as another HUNTER is abiding by the laws of that particular land, it is hunting. Don't give the anti's any more leverage against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.