What are your thoughts on using a Ruger M77 Mark II in 280 as a long range shooter and hunting rifle?

ibjsb

FNG
I'm just getting into long range shooting and already have this gun, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it as a rifle to use. Also, what bullet weight seems to be best for the balance of long range shooting and still being used as a big game rifle here in Wyoming?

EdP

WKR
You really need to define what you consider "long range" for folks to give an informed answer because it means different things to different folks.

My source on twist rates shows the Ruger 77 in .280 at 1 in 9 1/2. That may not be a fast enough twist to stabilize the high BC bullets favored in the long range competition circles. You can select a bullet and use the Miller formula to determine if that bullet will stabilize. There are numerous websites with info on using the Miller formula and what value is needed for stability. I found my 7mm RM with 1 in 10 twist would not stabilize a 165 gr TGK so I think it unlikely 1 in 9 1/2 will stabilize the long 175 gr secant ogive bullets.

OP
I

ibjsb

FNG
I'm just getting into long range shooting and already have this gun, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it as a rifle to use. Also, what bullet weight seems to be best for the balance of long range shooting and still being used as a big game rifle here in Wyoming?
When I say long range I mean non-competition shooting for fun at 800 to 1000+

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I think you could do that with a Berger 168 VLD. I think they'd stabilize in 1:10 twist and I've shot them pretty far in my 280.

EdP

WKR
The rifles purpose built for shooting at those ranges typically have long throats and fast twist rates to accommodate the high BC bullets (heavy for caliber, secant ogive, plastic tipped). The rifle you have will likely be restricted to less than optimum bullets but that doesn't mean you can't have fun shooting it and it will certainly be an effective hunting rifle.

Stalker69

WKR
Load it and shoot it, see what it will do. Love my ruger 243. Find which bullets it likes, light bullets can still be more accurate then most can shoot.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Beat those 168's through it and have fun. You won't win matches with a lightweight slow twist rifle, but if you want to shoot milk jug sized rocks to the 1k area....you should be able to do so pretty regularly.

JasonWi

WKR
I’ve got a M77 7mmRM that’s my primary rifle and it was built in 1976. Newer barrel on it, but those 168 VLDH shoot great out to 700 yards and if a person wants to have fun and become very proficient with their hunting rifle it’s a win win.

You don’t have to own the latest and greatest to shoot far, last year was my first time shooting longer distance's (to me) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I killed my WY elk last year with this setup and he didn’t go more than a couple steps and died

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Give it a try. Neither of my M77s are that accurate. Both are acceptable for hunting within 300 yards but that's about it. I have been pondering rebarreling them and maybe even a stock swap.