Eastern Sierra horse/mule packer -

BiG_Sea

FNG
Anyone have any experience with horse/mule packer outfits in? I pulled an archery tag for that zone this year and thinking about ways to extend my reach responsibly (I am old).

Last edited by a moderator:

brushape

WKR
Don’t overlook the low country and sage flats I’ve seen far more and better deer down low than up high in any x zone I have hunted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BiG_Sea

FNG
This right here.....
I’ve heard this and hunted the 4-6k elevation range between backpacking trips - never found a buck down there but it’s big and sonetimes busy country. I think the best part of “up high” where a packer can drop me is just less people traffic.

brushape

WKR
I’ve heard this and hunted the 4-6k elevation range between backpacking trips - never found a buck down there but it’s big and sonetimes busy country. I think the best part of “up high” where a packer can drop me is just less people traffic.

I had the opposite experience in x9a every trail leading into the high country had 30+ Subarus and Prius while zero people were anywhere to be found in the low country

87TT

WKR
One of the biggest archery bucks I ever saw in the Sierra was taken low near a busy campground.

OP
B

BiG_Sea

FNG
I had the opposite experience in x9a every trail leading into the high country had 30+ Subarus and Prius while zero people were anywhere to be found in the low country

I want to go somewhere where there’s nobody and I think that means going up from the low trailheads. Down low it’s fisherman or LADWP trucks blasting along the roads, up the high trailheads, it’s just people everywhere—first time in A17, I got up on a high glassing point and seven of the eight basins around me had tents.