Eastern MT Upland Birds - First week vs. second

Evening all,

I plan on calling a biologist, but wanted some hunter insight as well, if you’ll be so kind.

I’m not elk hunting this year, so we want to take our two Brit’s on their first western bird hunt. We have 3 Michigan grouse seasons under our belt with informal and formal bird dog training.

The opener is September 1, but it works best for our schedule to get there the 10th.

Other than being pressured from hunters/dogs for 10 days, is there a significant difference in bird behavior, habitat preferences day 1 vs. day 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could get snow by the 10th which really helps. First weekend birds are quite dumb. If you goof it a little you’ll still find dumb birds! Snow likely to come more October but who knows from year to year!

WCB

WKR
No, and there is enough ground to hunt where you should be able to find unpressured birds all season. If you drive around and there is an obvious spot right off the road you can bet 10 other guys and their dogs have been there.

But in general no there should be basically no difference in bird behavior from the start to end of September barring a big snow storm....but highly unlikely in eastern MT.

OP
DmrbigEshotT

LOL of course

13c0ffc626f1463c502d09c953a165f4.jpg

9551cbabeafc6bfb706277f958a1ba76.jpg

66573e304cbb6ddb94f03c823710bd08.jpg

OP
DmrbigEshotT
We’ll be going after prairie birds, not grouse (other than sharpies).

lonespur

FNG
I spend a month or so there each summer, half of that before the rest after the opener. If you’re targeting areas anywhere near cropland some years the second or third week is sometimes preferred due to the crops getting harvested. Depends how early they can get crops growing and the amount of late summer precip.
That’s my experience near our camp.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Last year the opener had temps of over 100 degrees with the heat index, so plan accordingly. I would be prepared to shift my schedule for sure if I was hunting early season. Anything over 75 degrees and my dogs get gassed pretty quick, as do I. I would target the end of September or the first of October if it was me, and just deal with whatever pressure was there prior to my arrival.

OP
DmrbigEshotT
I spend a month or so there each summer, half of that before the rest after the opener. If you’re targeting areas anywhere near cropland some years the second or third week is sometimes preferred due to the crops getting harvested. Depends how early they can get crops growing and the amount of late summer precip.

Good tip. Thank you.

Also heat can be limiting some years. We live in MT and I generally don't go if highs are foecast above 85 degrees.

Get you Brits vaccinated for rattlesnake bite.

My opinion is the best time of year is to go a week or two after the opener but before pheasant.

Birds still hold well, but the pressure of opening week is gone. You'll likely have the whole place to yourself and farmers are much more friendly to giving permission before pheasant. Also you'll get lots of training opportunities on young pheasants since they aren't running too much yet (just make sure to identify before shooting).

OP
DmrbigEshotT
My opinion is the best time of year is to go a week or two after the opener but before pheasant.

Birds still hold well, but the pressure of opening week is gone. You'll likely have the whole place to yourself and farmers are much more friendly to giving permission before pheasant. Also you'll get lots of training opportunities on young pheasants since they aren't running too much yet (just make sure to identify before shooting).

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

jhim

FNG
I wouldn't worry too much about hunting pressure. I don't really see many other guys out after birds until pheasant opens up in October.

I prefer to hunt later than any one else in this thread, I guess. We would typically go early October for the cooler weather. Sure sometime the sharpies are getting grouped up and more jumpy but at least the dogs are comfortable. The huns get better later with improved scenting, IMO. And while we don't target pheasants it's nice to pick up a bonus bird here and there.

The locals we made friends with over the years always asked "why don't you wait until November to come?" That's when they thought it was best.

Evening all,

I plan on calling a biologist, but wanted some hunter insight as well, if you’ll be so kind.

I’m not elk hunting this year, so we want to take our two Brit’s on their first western bird hunt. We have 3 Michigan grouse seasons under our belt with informal and formal bird dog training.

The opener is September 1, but it works best for our schedule to get there the 10th.

Other than being pressured from hunters/dogs for 10 days, is there a significant difference in bird behavior, habitat preferences day 1 vs. day 10?

I realize this is way late for you as you’re probably ack home. But I have hunted the Plentywood Scobey MT area for the past 15 years or so. It’s always hot in eastern Montana in September and always hard on the dogs. I have 3 labs and a Chessie. I have the luxury of hunting one at a time and giving my Chessie Sky longer breaks. Sharptail and Huns are usually plentiful if you use the block management system and or hunt west of Scobey on State land that may be leased with crops or may be good hunting land. Take care. Motel rooms have been harder to find since Covid.