Eastern Coyotes - do you worry about your dog?

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
A small pack of Eastern Coyotes killed a doe about 300 yards from my cabin last week. You guys ever have trouble with your dogs and coyotes in a situation like this?

My dog is an 85 lb retreiver, age 8. With that the kill site so nearby, he has his coyote pillage dial turned up to 11. I worry about the dude. Sometimes he thinks he's the Chuck Norris of dogs, but he's really a big softie. He carries around a giant stuffed hedgehog to snuggle with, for gods sake.

What do you fellas think? Would you worry about your pup and what would you do? It's typical to have the coyotes around this time of year. I've just never had a kill that close to my door. No real interest in getting after them unless it's for the dog's sake. Alternative is just to keep a close eye the next several days, while they finish up the doe.

I’d err on the side of caution. Never can be to safe with your pup, he relies on you to keep him safe

Phaseolus

WKR
They learned to avoid my place, to an extent, after killing a bunch of them. Keep your dog away from them or they will probably kill him.

Trial153

WKR
We have lost some beagles to coyotes over the years running hare and rabbits, they generally cue in on the pack while they running. Seen them get torn up pretty bad.
Our big hounds can hold their own and we always keep few that could win a fight if they bay em up before we get to them. Had good bitch that for whatever reason had mean streak, a coyote was in trouble if she got a hold of it. For that matter you couldnt kennel her with another hound either. With me she was sweetheart.

You definitely hear about house cats and dogs disappearing. They way I figure it, its all part of living.

Fullfan

WKR
Live remote here and do have coyotes close to the house, have killed 3 from the kitchen widow. Have a 2 year old boxer that is mean and kills everything, and the wife has a lil sissy dog. I do not let the lil dog outside with out a guardian. Afraid she would not make it.

WJS23

WKR
Well looks like you have an active bait sight now so you should take advantage of that first of all. I shoot coyotes any time I get the chance to, I have a 68 lb black lab and when ever we go anywhere I have a gun on me just for that reason.

Diesel

WKR
We live remote also and coyotes are ever present. I killed two this past year from the dining room. We have six Goldens ( we breed them) that we let out together and they stay within the open fields, but I monitor them constantly.

Local trapper has taken seven coyotes around us so far this season.

I would not let a lone dog out knowing coyotes are about without your presence.

I think most of the dog snatches are smaller breeds. I have heard of larger dogs getting in fights with multiple coyotes but it seems more territorial than predation. Not sure that matters if your dog gets torn up.

SoDaky

WKR
Live remote as well.I have a young lab I monitor if it's dark out.I hunt coyotes(almost daily)and have a neighbor that traps.Still a potential problem for most dogs.Maybe once a year,if dark out,there will be a pair(usually a pair)that gets aggressive and will howl/bark close to the house.I resolve that quickly.
A fews years back a rancher nearby lost pretty much an entire litter of labs by letting them run around his buildings at nite.Warned him after the first loss but not heeded.

Your dog one on one would be fine. However, coyotes In pairs would have him in real trouble pretty quick. They are breeding and defending territory right now. Watch your dog man. If he encounters the male and female together, they will kill him.

I live in a small town that is on the edge of open farm land and woods. There has been less and less coyote hunting allowed. In fact you are no longer allowed to kill them in our township. In the past 4 years all the tree huggers are up in arms because the coyotes are now killing their dogs right in their back yards. It started with small lap dogs but now they are attacking larger breeds too like labs and goldens !! I put cams out behind my house and get picks of a big pack of 7 coyotes. Many off them are as big as a large german shepherd I never let my dog out without watching him very carefully anymore.

I had a border collie get attacked a few years ago. Never saw it, didn't know it happened until we had him at the vet getting sewed up and could see and measure the puncture wounds. Took him in there with a flap of skin hanging. Had no idea what had happened. He was working livestock when it happened and was over the hill on an outrun. Thought he had run into a stick or something.

Honestly I don't worry about it too much where we are. We have several guard dogs that kinda keep them away from the barns and the house.

I can see situations where I would definitely be worried about it.

And remember many of these areas that are first populated by coyotes in the east actually end up as coydogs. So might be helpful if you don't let your intact male wonder around.

I live up in BC on a small acreage just outside of city limits. I have always taken the stance that I would never kill wildlife on my property, until lately. We have a lab and an airedale that live in the house with us. We let them out several times a day to let them run the trails through the property for 10-15 minutes at a time. We have always had coyotes but their numbers are increasing. The wife came home to 4 standing on out lawn. They didnt leave when she arrived. She tried to scare them off and they reluctantly left. I dont worry about a single coyote but a couple could easily kill my dogs. I have missed two so far but am going to kill every one I get a chance at now. I have a lynx hanging around now that I think may have to go as well.

Brendan

WKR
Where I grew up in Suburban Massachusetts - a couple of yotes killed an ~80# lab a couple years ago.

I've had them sizing me up when out scouting, and not take off until I got aggressive and went at them (Wasn't carrying)

The problem is, they're losing their fear of people and dogs in a lot of areas.

Lowg08

WKR
I definitely worry about my rat terrier. Not at home but when I’m hiking or scouting or squirrel hunting. I try to keep a bell on him to deter them but he hates it with a passion

Poser

WKR
I once saw a entirely docile house dog of a Rottweiler that had never been in a fight before and most likley never seen a coyote before kill two coyotes in about 40 seconds. The first one was probably dead before the second one even knew what was happening and the 2nd basically got its head ripped off without a chance to put up a fight. A third one got out of dodge. Complete bloodbath. Unless coyotes are attune to attacking dogs, I think they need a stalking or a pack advantage on a dog, or be be very hungry, otherwise there is easier prey in the woods. I’d keep an eye on your dog, especially at night, but an 85# dog is not a soft target. If you want reassurance, get a big breed guard dog: Great Pyrenees Rottweiler, Doberman, Bernese Mtn dog etc. it would take a big pack of coyotes to even think about a pair of large dogs.

Coyotes pick up and carry off small dogs here pretty much once a month.
They love it during the winter when all the snowbirds come from back east
with thier little lap dogs.The Coyotes will run up and snatch them still on a leash
attached to the owners hand. Luckily I have my "Bird Dog"to protect me! 〽💥20190811_070131-1.jpg

Man there's lots of coyotes everywhere whether you see them or not. Like somebody said it's the worst time if year because of breeding and they get hungry depending on the winter. Most coyotes around here are sub 40# so for them to kill a big dog like that they really have to want it and your dog really has to have no fight in him. We had a 15# Jack Russell that chased coyotes out of the yard and would sometimes go on walk about for a week at a time. Sometimes a little beat up but never serious. Little dude would throw down with cats, woodchucks, coons, dogs 3 times his size, didn't matter. We also had a rottweiler that he never tangled with because that dog could kill him in about 3 seconds. Just a long winded way of saying if your dog puts up a fight it will take more than a pair. Also, around here we run coyotes so much with hounds that they know it's a very bad day when a dog starts chasing them. Have not ever had a coyote come close to killing a hound even when running multiples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
There was a super interesting tracking collar study a few years back on coyotes in the Chicago suburbs. They were literally living in narrow wooded lots between houses with few residents even aware of their presence. I recall them snatching some cats but almost never dogs. That does seem to be highly localized though as someone posted above, some packs have learned to target easy meals on leashes.