Early season pants knee pad compatible?

68Plexi

WKR
Hey all. Looking for some advice on early season (August) pants that are knee pad compatible. Temp ranges likely 40-80. I can always wear a removable base layer for mornings, more concerned with hotter afternoons and hiking. I'm specifically talking about early season pants for archery that don't grab stickers, have hip vents, are durable enough for me to move on my knees and are knee pad compatible. I don't care if the knee pads are built in, although I'd prefer the ability to take them out, and I don't care if they're camo.

I have gone through a bunch of pants trying to figure this out. KUIU Attacks (too warm and grab stickers like velcro, no knee pads), FL Corrugate (no hip vents and also grab stickers like velcro, no knee pads), Stone Glacier De Havilland original (was hopeful, but in between sizes L and XL - neither fit, I'm a 36 in everything else), Prana Brion (love them for everyday, but way to fragile for brush, no hip vents and not knee pad compatible), KUIU Alpine (closest match, but were really baggy and loud, and are discontinued).

Right now I mainly wear a pear of KUIU Kutanas and they are great. Really durable, don't grab stickers, have hip vents, light weight, but are not knee pad compatible. Maybe I just need to carry a pair of construction knee pads or something and be happy with the Kutanas. This is definitely a first world problem, I get it. Kinda feel like I'm being too picky expecting one pant to check all these boxes, but this is a gear forum so I thought I'd at least see what I might be missing. Stone Glacier De Havilland lite (new model size change?),

By the way, I did run a search before deciding to post this and all the typical mentions (Sitka mountain, timberline, KUIU Pro, etc would be too warm for what I'm looking for IMO).

*zap*

WKR
no hip vents...they are very light so hip vents should not be an issue as the material itself vents very well. To regulate body heat use a zip off/on bottom.

*zap*

WKR
As far as any material being a burr magnet you just let the garment sit overnight and then use the back of a straight blade knife or saw and run it across the material and that stuff comes right off...

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka ascent is what I have been wearing the last couple years for my early season archery hunts and they work great overall. Breath really well.
Second would be Kings Camo preacher pants. A little warmer than the ascents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
Sitka ascent is what I have been wearing the last couple years for my early season archery hunts and they work great overall. Breath really well.
Second would be Kings Camo preacher pants. A little warmer than the ascents.

Looks like the Ascent runs small. I’m a 36 in almost everything. You guys suggest a 37 or 38?

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like the Ascent runs small. I’m a 36 in almost everything. You guys suggest a 37 or 38?

Correct. I am a 34 normally and have the 36. A little loose but the 34 was too tight.

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
I love my Sitka Ascents for warmer weather hunting, but mine don't have the kneepad pockets like my Sitka Mountains or Timberlines do.

Are yours older? Sitka’s website has knee pad sleeves in the description of the current model.

Hondo

WKR
Another recommendation on the Sitka Ascent pants for early season and mine all have the knee pad pockets. Tough 4 way stretch fabric that breathes well. I like the Kutana pants too but when it is hot I go with the Ascents.

Kostrize

WKR
SG DH Lite is a great pant for what you’re describing IMO. I used it last year at 95 degree heat and thought it did well. Didn’t try it with knee pads yet but the inserts feel like they’d be comfortable with pads in them

Canis Alpine and Alpine Light pants would also be worth a look

I’m in the minority that thinks hip vents are kind of overrated for truly hot temps. It’s more important to me that the material breathes well to begin with. YMMV. Early season opening those vents exposes me a lot more to insects I’ve found

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
SG DH Lite is a great pant for what you’re describing IMO. I used it last year at 95 degree heat and thought it did well. Didn’t try it with knee pads yet but the inserts feel like they’d be comfortable with pads in them

I’m in the minority that thinks hip vents are kind of overrated for truly hot temps. It’s more important to me that the material breathes well to begin with. YMMV. Early season opening those vents exposes me a lot more to insects I’ve found

Yea, the completely open vents (and the fit) kinda scared me away from the SG pants. I’d find a way to get bugs, rocks, twigs, whatever in my pants for sure.

And it’s why I don’t own KUIU Tiburon pants because the bugs eat me alive through that loose knit material. I briefly had a Tiburon shirt and the mosquitoes had an all you can eat buffet through it. The Kutanas do a better job of keeping them at bay.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Kings preacher pants come pretty close to what your describing. Although they’re not paper thin like most early season pants that rarely get the vents because of how lightweight the materials already are. Probably worth a look though. Kings has some of the best sizing options IMO and I’ve been very happy with their xkg lineup. Their lone peak pants are hands down the best late season pants I’ve worn. If they’d have put knee pads and vents in the Ridge pants they’d have checked every box you described. Not sure vents would be necessary in that lightweight of a pant but knee pads could have been in there as they’re just the lightest weight version of the other two (lone peak, preacher)

ChrisAU

WKR

I'm on the search for a pant similar to OP to use for shooting competitions, these are at the top but I can't find much about the knee pad part - do they come with them? Or do you need to buy some other brand to put in them?

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
If you’re talking about the SG DeHavilland’s, they do not come with knee pads. A bunch of knee pads should fit, Sitka, 5.11, even cheap ones on Amazon, but the SG guys recommend Crye Precision. They are probably the most expensive, but they are nice.

Replying to ChrisAU, forgot to quote.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
New small mom and pop camo brand based out of Idaho. Customer service is great and pricing is great. I don't have a pair of these pants, but you can talk to Moosie and see if these pants fit the bill for what you need.

I don't know how tiburons would do at the low end of the temp range you are looking for, but with ling johns it might work, but at the high end 70-80plus they are hard to beat. What about carrying a pair of lightweight gardener knee pads to strap on for a stalk? I did that for a while. I didn't think the ascents breathed very well in high temps and sold mine. They really should add hipzips. I think that's the only major brand with kneepad compartments. Your kinda handcuffing yourself of options if your hung up on that which is why I suggested the gardener kneepads