Durston X-Mid Tents

Any recommendations for ultra lite stand alone tent poles if you don’t want to use your trekking poles? I have the 2p.

Love the tent! Thanks.

We have a really sweet set in the works but won't be out until fall. In the mean time, this pole from Tarptent is a good option:

We have a really sweet set in the works but won't be out until fall. In the mean time, this pole from Tarptent is a good option:
This is the set that I bought to go with my XMid2. Seem to work very well so far. Interested to see what Dan has come up with.

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
This is the set that I bought to go with my XMid2. Seem to work very well so far. Interested to see what Dan has come up with.
Any problems with those poles? I love my x mid but not one to carry trekking poles. I'd llike to not wait until fall for a better option if TT poles solve the problem

Any problems with those poles? I love my x mid but not one to carry trekking poles. I'd llike to not wait until fall for a better option if TT poles solve the problem
So far so good. Haven’t really pushed their limits though. Mainly just some light summer stuff and early fall. No snow or substantial wind. Sorry. Not great feedback.

The TT poles are pretty good. They adjust in 1 inch increments instead of continuously so you can't perfectly tighten the tent, but not bad. They're also a bit heavier than they need to be but not crazy. You can get a lighter and continously adjustable pole now from Ruta Locura, but it's very expensive ($65 x 2), whereas the TT ones are $25 x 2. Ours will be better than the Ruta Locura ones for a price pretty close to the TT ones, but again they're not in stock til Sept/Oct.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Dan I’m really looking forward to what you have coming. I have used your 2p in some pretty bad weather and it holds up very well with trecking poles but I haven’t been able to find a good replacement when I want to actually use my trecking poles while the tent is set up.

I tried the six moon design poles and they couldn’t handle heavy snow or wind at all

Dan I’m really looking forward to what you have coming. I have used your 2p in some pretty bad weather and it holds up very well with trecking poles but I haven’t been able to find a good replacement when I want to actually use my trecking poles while the tent is set up.

I tried the six moon design poles and they couldn’t handle heavy snow or wind at all
Yeah the SMD pole are super flexy. They are using tent poles, so they are designed to flex which is the opposite of what you want for a shelter. Ours will be dramatically stiffer. Of course as part of being stiffer and adjustable they will also be heavier, but not that much.

Ram94

WKR
Dan,

Are you able to share if there will be any updates with the new Xmid 2P? Solid inner option in this next batch?

Thanks!

Yes we will have the solid inner soon. Our next batch of the X-Mid 2 will go on presale on June 7 for delivery in late July and that will be the solid inner version of the 1P and 2P.

There will also be some other substantial updates for this batch that will also be present on the mesh version in the future. We will announce that in a few weeks.

mlgc20

WKR
Yes we will have the solid inner soon. Our next batch of the X-Mid 2 will go on presale on June 7 for delivery in late July and that will be the solid inner version of the 1P and 2P.

There will also be some other substantial updates for this batch that will also be present on the mesh version in the future. We will announce that in a few weeks.
Hi Dan - Any plans to make a 3P version of the X-mid? Specifically the Pro.

kad11

WKR

Can I pre- pre-order right now? I've struck out on all the previous sales 😂

I'm open to the idea of a 3P but we aren't working on a 3P at the moment and it takes almost 2 years to bring a tent to market, so we won't have a 3P sooner than '24. I'm still a bit unsure if the market is large enough because our 2P tents are already quite spacious for a 2P tent, so they reduce that desire for couples to size up to a 3P. But I do know that some people do want a 3P so it might be something we do next after the X-Mid Pro 1 is launched.

For pre-orders, we have a ton of people that want to preorder so to be fair we're opening it to everyone at the same time. I know it is disappointing to wait and then miss out, but we are working on much better production capacity and will have that online later this year. Sometime between this fall and early '23 we should be able to keep all models in stock.

Ram94

WKR
I'm open to the idea of a 3P but we aren't working on a 3P at the moment and it takes almost 2 years to bring a tent to market, so we won't have a 3P sooner than '24. I'm still a bit unsure if the market is large enough because our 2P tents are already quite spacious for a 2P tent, so they reduce that desire for couples to size up to a 3P. But I do know that some people do want a 3P so it might be something we do next after the X-Mid Pro 1 is launched.

For pre-orders, we have a ton of people that want to preorder so to be fair we're opening it to everyone at the same time. I know it is disappointing to wait and then miss out, but we are working on much better production capacity and will have that online later this year. Sometime between this fall and early '23 we should be able to keep all models in stock.
Is this next run going to be similar in size as the last couple that sold out in seconds?

Marble

WKR
Ok serious question and I'm not making fun of you guys.

Am I missing something when it comes to the quilts? I'm trying to understand what you guys are trying to accomplish. I've never used a quilt but it seems not very efficient to carry two things that weigh more when combined than my one bag. I also presume the two are more volume than one bag.

Currently I use either a 2 lbs 10 degree bag in September or my slick bag in October/November.

I have a woobie and have thought I could use it in a pinch. But I think quilts have a few more features than a Woobie.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Is this next run going to be similar in size as the last couple that sold out in seconds?
It was more like a minute or two, but yeah the next run is still a similar size. We're working on increasing production, but that won't be coming online until this fall.

Ram94

WKR
It was more like a minute or two, but yeah the next run is still a similar size. We're working on increasing production, but that won't be coming online until this fall.
Yeah I'm sure my internet in the far north isn't nearly as fast as most places so they were probably nearly sold out by the time my connection picked it up 😂

kad11

WKR
No worries - I was kidding about pre- pre-ordering. It sounds like they'll be readily available this winter regardless.

I really, really appreciate the genius simplicity of this design

The poly and mesh inner versions are up on @dandurston partner site called kaviso for pre-order. Delivery is November if you pay extra shipping or February for regular. seems like the solids are coming in early 2023 and the dyneema ones in 2023as well.

I pulled the trigger on a 1 p for a roomy solo shelter.