Durston X-Mid Tents

are the stakes that Durston offers any good, or is it best to get stakes elsewhere?

Would love to see a pic of the packed pro1 and pro2 side by side. For 2 extra oz, I'm leaning toward the 2, even though I'm usually solo
The best I've found are the Rota Locura carbon fiber stakes. I have a set of both the 6" and 9" (I think those are the lengths offered, offhand) Ultra light and pretty dang strong.

BrodieBC

FNG
My stakes with my older 2P are just basic shepherds hook stakes but they do work quite well. I usually carry some mini ground hogs and some off brand carbon stakes as well. Always good to have a small variety for varying ground.

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
So I have the x-mid 2P with a mesh inner and loved using it for high country mule deer last season. Thinking about adding a 1p to the gear for this yr and maybe use it on my sheep hunt next year. Has anyone had any condensation issues with the 1p and solid inner? I think I’d like the extra warmth for AK but don’t want bad condensation issues.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So I have the x-mid 2P with a mesh inner and loved using it for high country mule deer last season. Thinking about adding a 1p to the gear for this yr and maybe use it on my sheep hunt next year. Has anyone had any condensation issues with the 1p and solid inner? I think I’d like the extra warmth for AK but don’t want bad condensation issues.
I actually think solid inners protect you more from it, while still breathing or allowing the vapor to pass through. I’ve ran a couple tents with mesh inners and a couple with solid inners. Friend of mine and I basically camped in a cloud, in a rainstorm for 10hr or so last fall - he had a xmid 1p solid inner. It did impressively well, and being able to pack up under the fly, and separate and pack a dry inner from wet outer tent was really nice.

There’s a point where it gets so cold that the inner tent can certainly condense or freeze, but that’s quite extreme, and it still works better than mesh in that situation.

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I actually think solid inners protect you more from it, while still breathing or allowing the vapor to pass through. I’ve ran a couple tents with mesh inners and a couple with solid inners. Friend of mine and I basically camped in a cloud, in a rainstorm for 10hr or so last fall - he had a xmid 1p solid inner. It did impressively well, and being able to pack up under the fly, and separate and pack a dry inner from wet outer tent was really nice.

There’s a point where it gets so cold that the inner tent can certainly condense or freeze, but that’s quite extreme, and it still works better than mesh in that situation.
Thanks for this MT. I think I’m gonna order a solid 1p x-mid and see how I fit in it. It seems like a really good tweener between the tiny 1p tents out there and a true 2p. Saves me about 10 oz I think over the 2p as well.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I just got 2 x-mid solids mailed up to Canada. Took a dirty one on taxes and duty. Somehow a $338 sticker price turned into $639. Over 150 in taxes and duty. Not cool

Any of you guys use this setup for sheep hunting in later months, like October, or sheep hunting in general?

Anyone use Ruta Locura tent poles instead of trekking poles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
That’s quite the video - like the skyscraper, you fully stake out the xmid perimeter before you try and put a pole in…..sure didn’t look like he was fully staked, making the tent a sail.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tom Heaney did a review on the XMid in Ireland. Everything was staked out, but that tent just isn't made for sustained high winds. He actually took his down after 30mph sustained, because it was loaned to him to review and the owner hadn't even used it yet. He didn't want to possibly damage it. Stakes may hold, but those sides catch a lot of wind. The UK guys are definitely the reviews to look for if you're wanting to know about high wind performance. Seems like 50mph is a fairly average occurrence on most of those peaks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dodido

FNG
I just got 2 x-mid solids mailed up to Canada. Took a dirty one on taxes and duty. Somehow a $338 sticker price turned into $639. Over 150 in taxes and duty. Not cool

I got a similar bill a couple of years ago when I bought my 2P Xmid and had it mailed to Canada.

I just picked up the new XMid 2 Solid from a cross border pickup spot two weeks ago - got lucky when the border guard let me pass without paying tax or duty :)

Just got a notice the x mid pro 1 is in stock. $600 but nearly half the weight of the regular version.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like he was able to get production up on these. I am considering a Xmid 2 solid. Normally I use a tarp, but they are not great in bad weather.

dapesche

WKR
Just bought a dcf tarp from a bike camper who is going from a hyperlite tarp to the xmid.

I have tge xmid to try for this season.

Somehow I managed to avoid duty and taxes on the tent and the poles, which arrived last week. VERY LUCKY.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Turned my xmid 2P solid into an igloo last night. Got 2-3 inches of Sierra cement overnight and it held up surprisingly well especially because this was the first time I tried to use it in the snow. Really glad I guyed out the top. It actually felt warmer with the snow on it because I could feel the temp drop when the snow slid off.

Zero condensation even when the snow built up over the shell at ground level leaving only the top vent open. Very pleased. Bottom picture is from the windward side.

IMG_4344.jpeg
IMG_4343.jpeg

Hoff

FNG
I had a 1p and I currently have the 2p. This thing pitches and breaks back down so easily. It’s quite light and packable for a poly tent. I haven’t had any issues with durability. I’m pleased. If I had a wishlist I’d want a 1.5p Xmid with a smaller footprint than the 2p and a little more elbow room in the inner than the 1p.
Agreed, I think that would be perfect