Durston X Mid 1P vs ?

Dirtbag

WKR
Im going to upgrade my tent this year and wanted to get some opinions. I've been using a Hubba Hubba since 2014 and it has been great, but at nearly 4lbs I'd like to get into something lighter and move into a trekking pole tent.

right now at the top of the list is the Xmid 1P. is Durston hunter friendly? Any other options I should really consider? was also considering a SO silex but I feel like the footprint is big and may be tough finding a spot on the mountain for it.

Tent wil be used in Nevada, Colorado, wyoming mid august to the end of september.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to beat the Silex. For run and gun and no bugs I only take the fly without the inner nest. Footprint has never been an issue in Colorado for me. You have to remember when it comes to most trekking pole tents most require tie out points which the manufacturers don't list as footprint. I can only remember one time that I felt the need to guy out my Silex. Don't forget about the Made in the USA on the SO, not so much with the Durston.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't owned one yet, but I'll say this. I hit Dan up the other day about the Mid 1 Pro with the sily floor and DCF fly and I got a fantastic quick response back with a ton of information. Guy definitely seems to care about his product and is willing to take the time in an email to explain everything.

OP
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

WKR
Hard to beat the Silex. For run and gun and no bugs I only take the fly without the inner nest. Footprint has never been an issue in Colorado for me. You have to remember when it comes to most trekking pole tents most require tie out points which the manufacturers don't list as footprint. I can only remember one time that I felt the need to guy out my Silex. Don't forget about the Made in the USA on the SO, not so much with the Durston.
Cool, thanks for the feedback.

OP
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

WKR
I haven't owned one yet, but I'll say this. I hit Dan up the other day about the Mid 1 Pro with the sily floor and DCF fly and I got a fantastic quick response back with a ton of information. Guy definitely seems to care about his product and is willing to take the time in an email to explain everything.
Great to know. Customer service is a dying art.

Braaap

WKR
I have a Xmid 2p solid and a silex. I really like the xmid! The silex is good but I use a borah bivy in it to keep bugs off of me. I really have no use for both and if I were to sell one it would be the silex. I live in NV and mostly hunt in NV. The xmid is very impressive when you consider all aspects of design, function, quality, price etc.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Xmid 1p is awesome for a solo shelter, especially for the weight/price. I’ve also discussed some things direct with Dan on materials, design etc and he was very sincere and detailed with his responses. The thing I really like about the design is there’s lots of gear room, or you can really narrow the pitch for tighter spots. Inside, loads of usable space. I’ve used a lot of 1P tents and really dig the xmid, especially for foul weather scenarios.