Durable trekking pole

BD Carbon cork are great. I had a pair that I didn’t tension correctly and they would collapse under heavy use. Totally fixed when lever locks were tensioned correctly. I’m 225lbs with an elk front, rear and head they worked well. The issues I experienced were definitely user error. When adjusted properly and locked in with a little nail polish they are tough!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My Black Diamond Expedition 3 trekking poles have held up to 5.5 years of use and abuse.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Black Diamond fan. My first pair lasted 8-9 years before I snapped one glissading down a snow shoot. My second pair is probably 8-9 years old. Can't tell you how many times I've fallen on them or caught them between rocks with a fully loaded pack. Lots of "please don't be bent" moments and they've survived them all. I've rarely ever had to tighten the flick locks either.

Decker9

WKR
I also broke two pairs of FLZ poles, both pairs fortunately within warranty- both broke in the same place, clearly a weak point. The third pair were Alpine Carbon Corks and after a lot of tough use, I'm convinced these are the poles to use :)

Did you find the glue let loose that holds the linkage inside the pole together? Both of mine were just that, more of a defect then a break I guess. Shout out to their customer service though, very helpful folks.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not sure what was going on internally, but both cracked at the same spot

CoJrPT1.jpg

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
The black diamond alpine carbon cork are top tier and the best I’ve tested so far. Very stable and secure in all terrain. uses thicker carbon poles than most so not the lightest:

The only real option for me anymore

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
May want to look at getting @Brad@Argali new poles.

I’ve been running komperdell carbon poles for the last six years. I’ve been 240lbs-275lbs running these poles through all my hunts, I have flexed them and torqued them thinking I would break them, they are going strong still very impressed.

Thought I don’t know the model, can’t find the exact ones on the site so I’m sure they don’t make them now.

OP
OutdoorsMD

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the suggestions. I am 5”2 130lbs so breaking both of my leki micro vario poles which were brand new and run on one of the shortest settings on the same trip was concerning.