DT1/DT2 question

jm1607

WKR
So I know recently The DT1s snow collar got shortened considerably. Along with that the pockets and sleeves got bigger and more usable. The size lost in the main bag was gained with bigger pockets so the overall ci is about the same. Same with the weight. This is how I understand it all at least...

My question is now that the main bag is considerably smaller (maybe 1k or so?), would it be worth getting the DT2 instead of the DT1 and saving 5oz? Before I would personally say no, but now??

On a side note, was the DT2 pockets/sleeves also modified or just the DT1? If they were, would that make the DT2 heavier (since it didn't have anything removed like the DT1 did)?

gelton

WKR
I have an older DT1 that I cut the snow collar off of and use the guide lid to replace the ~ 1,000 or so cubic inches that I lost. I find it much more functional than the snow collar. While it is true that the DT1 without a snow collar is basically the same CI as a DT2, the actual opening or circumference is bigger allowing easier packing for meat and gear. I would go DT1, remove the snow collar and add a guide lid.

If indeed the only difference between the DT1 and DT2 is the circumference on the opening and bottom of the bag. Is the DT1 worth an extra $44 for an extra 1" circumference up top and 2" extra circumference on the bottom vs the DT2?

Last edited:
The DT2 did receive the larger side and back pockets. Very nice and functional now since they are very usable when the main bag is stuffed full. No clue on weight difference and the only "fair and accurate" weight measurement would be from Kifaru using the same scale for both newly designed bags. It wasn't worth the extra money to me since the dt2 is plenty big and holds all my stuff. The guide lid and a few belt pouches can make up any extra ci's I might need. I chose to save the money and it's working great for me so far.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
If indeed the only difference between the DT1 and DT2 is the circumference on the opening and bottom of the bag. Is the DT1 worth an extra $44 for an extra 1" circumference up top and 2" extra circumference on the bottom vs the DT2?

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I'm less concerned about the money though and just thinking i could save a 1/4 lb!

Then I'm way good with the DT2. I can always pile stuff on top of the bag and secure it down under the guide lid if I need to. 5" & a snow collar isn't worth it to me. Good luck with your decision.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Then I'm way good with the DT2. I can always pile stuff on top of the bag and secure it down under the guide lid if I need to. 5" & a snow collar isn't worth it to me. Good luck with your decision.

So the DT1 has a 5" collar and the DT2 has a 0" collar?