Dry ice

We will pack the igloos with a block or two of dry ice on the bottom covet that with a layer of cardboard then place pre frozen and wrapped meat (vacuumed packed) on the cardboard another layer of cardboard on top and then two more blocks of dry ice close cooler and duct tape around lid to act as a seal two and a half days later once home the meat is still frozen solid and there is a bit of dry ice left

We will pack the igloos with a block or two of dry ice on the bottom covet that with a layer of cardboard then place pre frozen and wrapped meat (vacuumed packed) on the cardboard another layer of cardboard on top and then two more blocks of dry ice close cooler and duct tape around lid to act as a seal two and a half days later once home the meat is still frozen solid and there is a bit of dry ice left

How does it offgas if you tape the lids shut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really never worried about it to be honest I guess if it was a issue you could leave the drain plug open, Never had a problem I think a lot of folks read more into things than needs to be worried with. Never seen a issue with it effecting the meat but then its pre froze and vacuumed packed, been doing it this way for years no problems.

rayporter

WKR
in the trailer we put down a tarp and packed elk on the tarp with a couple 6to 8 lb blocks of dry ice.

then put a tarp on top with gear packed on top. most of the elk would be frozen by the time we got to eastern Ohio.

actually most of the meat would be frozen before we hit the Mississippi.

it is always a pretty hot trip back.

Really never worried about it to be honest I guess if it was a issue you could leave the drain plug open, Never had a problem I think a lot of folks read more into things than needs to be worried with. Never seen a issue with it effecting the meat but then its pre froze and vacuumed packed, been doing it this way for years no problems.

I’m far from an expert on dry ice. It’s just seems that I’ve read it needs to be allowed to vent because of the gas buildup as it goes away.

I think it just dissipates never heard of it building any kind of pressure or effecting the frozen items in the chest with it.

The Guide

WKR
I’m far from an expert on dry ice. It’s just seems that I’ve read it needs to be allowed to vent because of the gas buildup as it goes away.

Even with duct tape, those cheap plastic Igloo coolers don't seal that well. I've never seen one that would hold water if tipped on its side let alone hold gases well enough to create pressure.

Jay

Guess the secret is not to up set the cooler.(just ribbing ya) but we have never had any problems with such a set up and as I said earlier once the cooler is taped up it holds well, one year we stopped for a pheasant hunt in South Dakota on the way back from Wyoming which added a extra day travel an even opened the coolers to put the cleaned birds in re sealed and all was frozen solid once home has worked like this for the past few years and transported a few antelope and deer this way.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
I think it just dissipates never heard of it building any kind of pressure or effecting the frozen items in the chest with it.
Dry ice sublimates, meaning it turns straight from a solid to a gas. Never made a dry ice bomb before?

That gas and pressure has to go somewhere

The Guide

WKR
Dry ice sublimates, meaning it turns straight from a solid to a gas. Never made a dry ice bomb before?

That gas and pressure has to go somewhere
How do you get pressure with no mechanical seal? Even rotomoulded coolers with a gasket do not seal well enough to produce the type of pressure a pop bottle and dry ice will make. Henceforth the reason you don't put dry ice in a cooler that is kept in the living space of a vehicle.

Jay

cb2176

FNG
I wish a dedicated "dry ice" app or website existed... like for recreation fuel. Sometimes it's a pain to find it.

*zap*

WKR
20240913_100138.jpg

10# in this lifetime 28 lasted 4 days in 90 degree heat in the sun all day. Put it in Monday eve and now the stuff is still cool but I think the dry ice is all gone. Home in a few hrs anyway.

Jimmy

WKR
I used to pack fish back from BC. We used a medium chest freezer and fill with wrapped, frozen fish. Once I got to a town that sold dry ice I'd buy it and lay it on top of the fish, maybe a blanket in between, inside the chest freezer. Then I duct taped the seams around the lid and covered with a blanket. Never had a problem.