Dry ice

Arcola

FNG
Need a few more details on your situation. A little goes a long way with that stuff.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Dry ice sublimates at a rate of 2-10% per day, average of 8% per day, so you can plan according to that.

Your container needs to vented at points as well, and I wouldn't leave it in car or anything like that. Unless you enjoy breathing carbon dioxide instead of oxygen.

Jethro

WKR
We’re also doing 30hrs, 12 days, 30hrs. Not taking any from PA.

In WY we’ll buy some and put it in the cooler that holds our frozen ice bottles. How much???? 4-5lbs I’m guessing.

Trip home yet TBD.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider

In WY we’ll buy some and put it in the cooler that holds our frozen ice bottles. How much???? 4-5lbs I’m guessing.

Trip home yet TBD.
4-5 pounds won't even last a week

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR

Trip home yet TBD.
What part of Pa?

taskswap

WKR
We travel empty, and only buy ice one packing out for the drive home. Saves weight (and gas mileage) on the drive in, and it's one less thing to melt (or vaporize) and waste money on.

There are a million Walmarts with $3-$4 per 10-20lb bag. It's not like it's hard to find. And if you really want dry ice, almost every town or city has at least one grocery store that sells it. King Soopers is a very common chain in Colorado, for instance, and they sell it. I'd buy it only once I need it. Just in my opinion.

lintond

WKR
I buy a brick per cooler & fresh ice before I head into the mountains depending on how far town is. If town isn’t far then I don’t bother and will just run to town for more ice if successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy a brick per cooler & fresh ice before I head into the mountains depending on how far town is. If town isn’t far then I don’t bother and will just run to town for more ice if successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
exactly get a cooler but still will have to change the ice from time to time cause even with best beer cooler you have at tops 48 hours before defrizzed..

wytx

WKR
You don't need for the entire time, just to get your ice frozen.
Keep coolers in the shade, maybe a towel or something on top to help insulate.
Get some for the home trip but keep it off the meat if you really need it.

Pack cooler with ice jugs, throw a bag of loose ice over them and they will stay frozen for many days if you don't open the cooler.

Geewhiz

WKR
Get a 10 lb block of dry ice, throw it in the bottom of your cooler and then cover that with a good amount of regular ice and the dry ice will keep the regular ice frozen for a long time. If you have a good cooler that isn’t constantly being opened then it should last many days

Weldor

WKR
Put 10 lbs in a 150 qt. cooler with a hind quarter and front shoulder and back straps last October. Hung it the first night about 65 degrees in the am, ran to town for the dry ice put it in the cooler on a rack. (not touching meat) cooler was in my garage door open 90 degrees that day. next morning dry ice gone, but meat pretty much frozen. LIke the most quote on here not worth the sqeeze for what you get.IMHO A guy could make a small fortune in Northern AZ with just a walk in for hunting season. We run to Texas every year 24 hrs in the coolers, 50 to 90 degrees 1 or 2 bags of regular ice works just fine when the meat comes out of the walk in cooler.

cb2176

FNG
Dry ice is nice to keep it frozen (if already frozen) on the long trips back.

As mentioned, be careful with it. Put the coolers in the truck bed or a trailer. Inside something like a Tahoe or Suburban you could get overtaken with carbon dioxide.