DRT Terminal Shock Load Data

Update on a 6.5 loading. I am not able to reload at my current place, so I am using a few custom shops and my uncle does some reloading for me. This one is from Hendershots and I had them work up a load for the 6.5x55 Swede in a Tikka T3 19” barrel with Banish Backcountry suppressor. They do a nice job, but with the Swede and lack of modern book values, most loads are pretty anemic.
2.95” COAL
135 DRT terminal shock
Lapua brass
N560- They did not share grains of power used, but I weighed components and came out with 48grains minus primer which I estimate at 2.5-4 grains. Guesstimating around 45g or so of powder.
2694.6 fps average, ES 52.9, Stdev 15.3
The load shot fine but my shooting today was terrible. VV SKAN loading table below.

I will be working up a 135g round with my uncle with 555 hoping to be north of 2800 with a bit better ES and stdev.
Shot a 10 round group of this pretty quickly to see how it would perform. Grouped very well with 2680avg fps, 60 es, 27std dev. This bullet shoots great in my T3 6.5 Swede, I’m pumped. I am hoping the n555 shoots well and I can get a bit more velocity out of it. I am really hoping to hit 2750 with a 19” barrel.

Last edited:
OP
C
Updated the original post with some more 6 creed data. I've settled on 42.7gr of H4350 giving me right around 3000fps with a terrible es. It still doesn't shoot great at 100 yards (best 10 shot group has been 1.9") but it seems to tighten up at longer ranges (4.5"ish at 330yd). Good enough for now.

philcox

WKR
Anyone have experience with the 135 DRT in 6.5CM and the following powders? I am back fiddling and want to see if anyone has results with the following:
  • StaBall 6.5
  • N555
  • N560

z987k

WKR
Anyone have experience with the 135 DRT in 6.5CM and the following powders? I am back fiddling and want to see if anyone has results with the following:
  • StaBall 6.5
  • N555
  • N560
I think 555 and 560 will be too slow. I'm going to play with the 135 in 6.5cm here soon. 550 and rl17 will be what I start with.
Stable will probably be good. For those 3 powders I'd start there.

z987k

WKR
I wanted to do a 22 creed specifically to shoot that bullet but hunt in Colorado a lot so 6 creed it was. Been bugging DRT about a new 6mm bullet.
Ya, their 24cal bullet is lacking in the BC department compared to the 22 and 26.

OP
C
Ya, their 24cal bullet is lacking in the BC department compared to the 22 and 26.

Yeah I’ve been debating using my 6.5prc instead for that reason but I think I’ve decided the 6 creed with 4mph wind bracket (to 500yd) that I can spot shots easily with is still better than the 5mph wind bracket of the 6.5 and not being able to spot shots.

OP
C
Has DRT been receptive or let on about any new bullets in the works?

I shared the 6mm thread on here with them and suggested a new 6mm bullet would likely be quite popular. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention but that’s it. I’ve gotten the impression a lot if not most of their business is with military contracts, so I’m not super optimistic we’ll see many new developments geared toward the hunting industry. Maybe that will change as folks start seeing more terminal performance results and demand increases but we’ll see.

z987k

WKR
Yeah I’ve been debating using my 6.5prc instead for that reason but I think I’ve decided the 6 creed with 4mph wind bracket (to 500yd) that I can spot shots easily with is still better than the 5mph wind bracket of the 6.5 and not being able to spot shots.
Have you got them to offer shipping in the usps flat rate boxes? I've ordered from them a number of times and shipping up here is about the most I've ever paid to ship bullets.
I e-mailed them about it twice but they don't respond.

OP
C
Have you got them to offer shipping in the usps flat rate boxes? I've ordered from them a number of times and shipping up here is about the most I've ever paid to ship bullets.
I e-mailed them about it twice but they don't respond.

Yeah I think I had to call them though, at least the first time. For some reason I remember a usps option showing up online when I ordered earlier this year but could be wrong.

I shared the 6mm thread on here with them and suggested a new 6mm bullet would likely be quite popular. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention but that’s it. I’ve gotten the impression a lot if not most of their business is with military contracts, so I’m not super optimistic we’ll see many new developments geared toward the hunting industry. Maybe that will change as folks start seeing more terminal performance results and demand increases but we’ll see.
I appreciate the reply! I will do my best to get some results this fall on a few calibers. I can’t wait until we can pull together a decent “DRT results on game thread.”

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with the 79 gr in a slower twist 1:9 223? Feel like it would be on the border of stabilizing.

philcox

WKR
called DRT, they said COAL for 135 in 6.5CM is 2.775. That means the BT is in the neck (pic 1). That OK? Should it be seated lower like the 2nd picture?
IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

called DRT, they said COAL for 135 in 6.5CM is 2.775. That means the BT is in the neck (pic 1). That OK? Should it be seated lower like the 2nd picture?
View attachment 745347

View attachment 745348
Personally the second one looks “better” to me.

Also I’d try n555 first, that’s one of my favorite powders in the creedmoor case. I’d start around 40gr and go up from there, it’s pretty close to h4350 usually requiring about a grain more powder for the same velocity, but usually able to get another 50-100fps of velocity over h4350 in my rifles.

OP
C
View attachment 745347

View attachment 745348
Their factory loads look like your first pic. That's about how deep I have them seated in my prc loads too. Haven't had any issues but probably couldn't hurt seating them a little deeper.