Dropping pack to stalk...

My daypack is my frame.
I don’t use a big bag, just a Cuban fiber stuff sack to get all my gear to camp.
A 1500cc access panel on my UL frame is all that’s needed for the daily.
It is light and slender as well as comfortable and ready to go at a moments notice and carries all my essentials and nothing more.

Why would someone drop that?

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
If you kill an elk at the bottom and of that 2k vertical hell hole, you might get out until midnight. Twist an ankle and it could be longer than that. I need every single thing in my pack. What would you have in your pack that you wouldn’t need in either of those scenarios?
Spotting scope, tripod, binos, pad or bedding, extra water, extra food, extra battery, pliers, wire, extra mag, little campy comforts and such. It varies depending on application.

Jn78

WKR
Spotting scope, tripod, binos, pad or bedding, extra water, extra food, extra battery, pliers, wire, extra mag, little campy comforts and such. It varies depending on application.
He said camp was above the hell hole so i assume camp stuff is in camp. Can’t see ever leaving binoculars. . . Or carrying wire.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
You can pretty much fit all of that into a suped up bino harness with a bladder. I know marsupial and kuiu have attachments that will fit all of those things. Get that Aziak clip for your inreach and you can clip it right to your harness to save the pocket space.

Good on you for doing what works for you! I have separation anxiety from my pack 😄

WCB

WKR
I have a 1600CC pack on my SG frame I use for day hunting. If I need extras (stove and extra food for the day on COLD hunts) or expect wild temp swings and bring extra extra clothes I throw a dry bag on the load shelf. I never take my pack off for the stalk until I am in really really close where it is going to happen right now or not. I'm not dropping my back 1/2 mile from an animal because if that animal spooks and goes in some direction other than towards my pack....I don't want to have to go back to my pack and then go find the animal again.

My bino pack always goes. Have used it numerous times to shoot off of.
It contains:
Wind meter
two headlamps
lens pen/cloth
tags
Zoleo is clipped to it

Phone is in pocket

Add the bow/rifle and all set. I carry a spare mag in my pocket.
Do you carry water or a life straw at least?

GotDraw?

WKR
@KennethDeemer -

HERE'S YOUR ANSWER, SPEND $15 AND GET ONE OF THESE:
100+hr Ultralight/v Small Dog Collar Strobe

1705375200547.png

This is what I use, v tiny, runs on two 2032 button batteries, waterproof and I can attest it will last 100hrs on strobe setting. Don't know about 200+hrs, but 100hrs for sure. Attach it to one of your straps where it won't snag a branch. You can see it from hundreds of yards away. Carry a spare set of batteries with you. Also suggest putting a small cutoff piece of plastic like from a candy bar wrapper between the batteries and the rear contact (as a kill switch) so there is NO way it will turn on and loose power until you need it and remove the plastic.

I used it once when I had a packer come up a long trail after dark to grab a bag I hung in a tree and he LOVED it. I use BLUE color. I also used it on an extremely foggy night to alert my brother where camp was as he navigated in late at night with less than 50' viz in dense fog. Hung the strobe from a tree limb and the flasher illuminated a huge halo in the fog due to reflection off the mist-- he found camp NO problem.

If I leave my pack ANYWHERE, I turn it on just in case. We all know that whenever you drop a pack, you will travel further from it than you planned and return much later than planned.

JL

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
I dropped my pack once in North Idaho and dont plan on doing that again.but If I were to think of a way to do that and still have necessary gear it would be some sort of detachable lid that has a waist belt like my summer backpacking osprey pack had.
Water
snacks
first aid
Go lite poncho as rain gear or shelter
2 headlamps
fire kit
kill kit
spare ammo if rifle hunt
insulation layer for under poncho
knife
tags
TP and wipes
compass and map

Matt5266

WKR
Personally I dont like getting more than 100-200 yards away from my pack. I usually just dump it right toward the end of a stalk or leave it with a buddy.

chindits

WKR
I never drop my pack. I have enough to just survive a night out. Depending on the season that could just be rain gear, food and water or during late season, down jacket and pants and a closed cell sit pad. A kill kit because I break down and move all the meat off the kill site before packing the first load back to camp. I have been out all night doing this process more than once. The worst was my solo moose. I had to wait til daylight to get through the willows. Without rain gear, down insulation and a fire I wouldn’t have made it.

I have pouches on my belt that have the, keep me alive stuff, if I get separated from my pack in a serious fall or river crossing accident. Fire, compass, head lamp, delorme, life straw.

wyogoat

WKR
No goddamn good reason to ever drop your pack!!
I know the intro said that’s not what the debate was but just in case any new western hunters use this thread as reference, you don’t drop your pack. Ever.
The country is too big and things can change fast and why have the dilemma of returning to get your pack that you are distancing yourself from or following the bugling bull in the back of your mind. Legit opportunities at elk are too few to have to make that decision.

I do this as well. I really like the kuiu hydration rig that attaches to my bino harness. I just keep it on my bladder while in my main pack at all times. Then if I am going to drop in I can just pull it out and quickly attach to my bino harness I'm already wearing. Seems to have enough room for the necessities.