Drop Camp Tent

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have multiple drop hunts scheduled and usually use my Nallo for just myself. On these hunts I will have my wife and daughter and thought maybe it was time to look at the tent market. I really like the small wall tent in nearly every Sportsmans right now, it think 12x12. Problem is, its 100#. A big arctic over may be a good fit but it's $2500. What I'm looking for is:

Fit 3 cots easily
Stove capable
6'+ in center to stand up on weather days and facilitate clotheslines
less than 35#
Wind/snow durability

What say you?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
First drop camp hunt I ever did was Mulchatna caribou in a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8man. I was impressed. Been through a lot of base camp tents since and was looking at exactly the ones you are looking at plus the Stone Glacier big one. In the end I realized I could replace an Alaskan Guide 8man five or six times for the price of one of the others…with the time I have left I may have to replace it once and I’m confident it will handle anything I can put it thru so picked one to replace my quite heavy 10x14 Kodiak Canvas.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at or considered the seek outside courthouse? I don't have any experience with it, but that seems to check your boxes, although the new Argali Yukon 8P also seems like a solid option

bmart2622

WKR
If you want Canvas a Mega Crew from Snowtrekker would be a great option but slightly above your budget. Otherwise, a Courthouse or Yukon from Argali would meet your criteria

OP
TheWhitetailNut

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at or considered the seek outside courthouse? I don't have any experience with it, but that seems to check your boxes, although the new Argali Yukon 8P also seems like a solid option
no, ill check now.

I have multiple drop hunts scheduled and usually use my Nallo for just myself. On these hunts I will have my wife and daughter and thought maybe it was time to look at the tent market. I really like the small wall tent in nearly every Sportsmans right now, it think 12x12. Problem is, its 100#. A big arctic over may be a good fit but it's $2500. What I'm looking for is:

Fit 3 cots easily
Stove capable
6'+ in center to stand up on weather days and facilitate clotheslines
less than 35#
Wind/snow durability

What say you?
I think a good fit for you based off your criteria would be the Arctic Oven Apex. Under 15lbs, packs to the size of a suitcase, wood
Stove compatible, good standing room, and excellent in extreme conditions.

Or

Both made in America! Snowtrekker coming out with a hybrid canvas/nylon tent here shortly. Believe it’s 40% less weight than their full canvas tents. I’m assuming cheaper as well.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
I think a good fit for you based off your criteria would be the Arctic Oven Apex. Under 15lbs, packs to the size of a suitcase, wood
Stove compatible, good standing room, and excellent in extreme conditions.

Or

Both made in America! Snowtrekker coming out with a hybrid canvas/nylon tent here shortly. Believe it’s 40% less weight than their full canvas tents. I’m assuming cheaper as well.
Id definitely be interested in a hybrid option from Snowtrekker. Do you have any more info about it?