Drew Utah-Monroe October Rifle -- guide or DIY as first timer?

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
I’ve hunted the Monroe. Here’s my thoughts…. It depends what you want out of the hunt. Will it mean more for you to just kill any bull on your own? Or kill a big one?

If you just want to kill a bull, you can DIY. Especially on that unit. There’s a lot of elk. You’ll see multiple bulls every day. Shouldn’t be much problem filing that tag if you can hike and glass.

But…. If you want to make the most of that tag and likely kill the biggest bull you’ll ever kill, hire a guide.

I initially was really drawn towards DIY because I thought it would feel more meaningful to do it on my own.

But then both practicalities (packing out at 10k feet elevation on my own!!) and hope that I can really make the most out of it with a guide persuaded me otherwise.

My hope really is that I will learn more from going with a pro than just stumbling around on my own and still harvesting a bull. Most likely the next many years I wont draw a unit this good and mostly will be hunting OTC in Washington. So stumbling around and hoping for still finding elk won't cut it there.

WRO

WKR
I initially was really drawn towards DIY because I thought it would feel more meaningful to do it on my own.

But then both practicalities (packing out at 10k feet elevation on my own!!) and hope that I can really make the most out of it with a guide persuaded me otherwise.

My hope really is that I will learn more from going with a pro than just stumbling around on my own and still harvesting a bull. Most likely the next many years I wont draw a unit this good and mostly will be hunting OTC in Washington. So stumbling around and hoping for still finding elk won't cut it there.

You made the right call, those mid season hunts are tougher than the rut it late hunts.

muddydogs

WKR
Not to crap on your good fortune but you do realize that your hunt is at the same time as the general spike elk hunt so be prepared to share the unit with a few thousand other rifle elk hunters. To find a spot to camp that isn't just a wide spot in the road one best show up a week early to claim a spot, think city traffic is bad wait until you see the amount of OHV's and pickups on the mountain roads. General season elk hunting in Utah is a big deal even a family affair. Just be prepared and realize that this isn't a true limited entry hunt with less than 50 tags issued. Bring and wear your blaze orange vest and hat, have some orange on your backpack as well.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Not to crap on your good fortune but you do realize that your hunt is at the same time as the general spike elk hunt so be prepared to share the unit with a few thousand other rifle elk hunters. To find a spot to camp that isn't just a wide spot in the road one best show up a week early to claim a spot, think city traffic is bad wait until you see the amount of OHV's and pickups on the mountain roads. General season elk hunting in Utah is a big deal even a family affair. Just be prepared and realize that this isn't a true limited entry hunt with less than 50 tags issued. Bring and wear your blaze orange vest and hat, have some orange on your backpack as well.

Ouph, I was aware spike hunt was on during the same time but didnt realize how *bad* that might turn out. I guess this makes me more happy with the decision to go with an outfitter -- well, at least I am hoping that guy knows his way around the crowds .. and how to lose them if at all possible.

But definitely going with my blaze orange pack lid over my normal one ...

SDHNTR

WKR
That’s right, I forgot about that hunt. Man I wish they’d chitcan that hunt. Monroe has miles and miles of 50” trails. You will want an atv, only because everyone else will have one too.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
That’s right, I forgot about that hunt. Man I wish they’d chitcan that hunt. Monroe has miles and miles of 50” trails. You will want an atv, only because everyone else will have one too.
😭 why do I get more solitude on public land in otc deer rifle season in Washington state

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
It'll still be the best hunt you'll ever have chasing monster bulls
Yup, it should still be great for huge bulls :) Just maybe not the solitude-in-the-mountains I might have envisioned earlier ...

... speaking of that, any units + hunts you recommend I build points towards for decent chance of decent bulls *with* solitude going forward :ROFLMAO:

Yup, it should still be great for huge bulls :) Just maybe not the solitude-in-the-mountains I might have envisioned earlier ...

... speaking of that, any units + hunts you recommend I build points towards for decent chance of decent bulls *with* solitude going forward :ROFLMAO:
If you haven't started already, build points in as many places as you can afford. After a few years you can begin to balance and alternate "opportunity" hunts with "quality" hunts and mix deer and elk. This has at least been my plan...

CONGRATS on this awesome tag. Just looked at GoHunt it looks like there was only 1 NR tag for this hunt and you got it!

Last edited:
OP
W

WaWox

FNG
If you haven't already, built points in as many places as you can afford. After a few years you can begin to balance and alternate "opportunity" hunts with "quality" hunts and mix deer with elk. This has at least been my plan...

CONGRATS on this awesome tag. Just looked at GoHunt it looks like there was only 1 NR tag for this hunt and you got it!
Yupp, i got lucky beyond my wildest imagination.

I am pretty new to this game so my most points anywhere are home state WA limited entry units and Wyoming (2 each .. ) and 1 in some other states ... [Nevada, Utah for not-elk!, Montana]. I didnt enter AZ because it felt extremely out of reach and very expensive and Colorado because I am expecting some risk that hunting won't be as legal/easy/plentiful by the time I'd built serious points..

I entered NM random draw and while I didnt this year I plan to start entering Idaho draws next year, too.

Do you think Az is worth the expense given the apparent point creep there? Would I ever catch up or am I better off saving the $250/year and pay an outfitter $7500 after 20 years of saved entries ?

Yupp, i got lucky beyond my wildest imagination.

I am pretty new to this game so my most points anywhere are home state WA limited entry units and Wyoming (2 each .. ) and 1 in some other states ... [Nevada, Utah for not-elk!, Montana]. I didnt enter AZ because it felt extremely out of reach and very expensive and Colorado because I am expecting some risk that hunting won't be as legal/easy/plentiful by the time I'd built serious points..

I entered NM random draw and while I didnt this year I plan to start entering Idaho draws next year, too.

Do you think Az is worth the expense given the apparent point creep there? Would I ever catch up or am I better off saving the $250/year and pay an outfitter $7500 after 20 years of saved entries ?
I too put in for NM (elk) but have yet to draw a tag there. I am definitely not an expert but I think AZ and CO are both worth it. AZ is definitely more of a long-term plan for both deer and elk but you can do some great hunts in CO with a few points. Do you have a GoHunt membership? Not an ad but it has lessened the learning curve for all of these states immensely for me.