Drew Utah-Monroe October Rifle -- guide or DIY as first timer?

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I got stupid lucky (my best estimate: 1 in 500-1500 chance) and drew October 5th thru 17th Monroe unit any weapon (for me: rifle) Elk tag. The problem: this unit is too good for me. I am not an elk hunter -- I have taken black tail deer on the Washington Olympic Peninsula but haven't ever hunted elk before. Went I entered for this unit, it was very much with the intention of "building points" while I go elsewhere to practice and learn.

But now it looks like I got once-in-a-lifetime luck and need to make the most of it. I can probably do one scouting trip in the summer to see the unit in person but I won't be able to be there much just before the October season starts. My plan would be to drive down from Washington state, rent something local for the two weeks and then drive in + hike in, camp deeper in the unit for some of it. Trying my best. Should I get a guide instead of DIY-ing it?

Background: mid-life onset hunter, two seasons of blacktail deer, probably not a great shot (closest range only goes to 200 yards and while I get shots within deer-vital area in that range, that's under range conditions.. ), reasonably fit (and now with a ton of motivation to get in the best shape I have been at least since having kids), happy to hike a bunch, carry heavy loads, and busily reading up on how to hunt elk.
My first ever elk tag was in 2012, also in Utah, and I drew it as a non-resident. I’m well aware of the luck needed there.

It was a tough hunt. More mentally than physically. It was everything I wanted and needed to experience…before I even sent an arrow.

I went DIY for various reasons. Some of them are as follows:

First, I sought the challenge and really enjoy the entire process of learning something new. Don’t underestimate how many GREAT resources you have access to that DRASTICALLY cut the learning curve down. Most of them are either FREE or cheap. Don’t overestimate how complicated it actually is.

Secondly, I thought about a limited entry tag as a great learning opportunity. Statistically, you will have less competition and more interactions with a tag like this.

Some other things off the top of my head would be cost, flexibility, and pressure. In my case, I’d prefer to spend money on my own gear (since I was just starting to hunt out west and already addicted). The DIY way is more flexible from a timing perspective as well.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
I went DIY for various reasons. Some of them are as follows:

First, I sought the challenge and really enjoy the entire process of learning something new. Don’t underestimate how many GREAT resources you have access to that DRASTICALLY cut the learning curve down. Most of them are either FREE or cheap. Don’t overestimate how complicated it actually is.

This makes a lot of sense. i love hunting partly because it was something completely new for me to pick up. None of my friends none of my family, no one even in my extended social circle (work, school, ...) was into this or had ever done it before.

If you don't mind, what resources did you use? I love reading about hunting skills and tactics, always looking for more resources! Thanks!

roymunson

WKR
As a guy who didn't have the generation before me teach me how to do the western thing, kudos to you for laying your pride down and giving yourself the best chance to have an amazing trip. I know some folks poo poo someone using guides, but while I can deer hunt in Ohio alright, I am pretty ignorant to the nuance of western elk hunting. A guide is a good way to learn a lot about how things work.

You can always go DIY on another hunt. Maybe a smaller bull will mean more to you if you DIY, but if you've got a legit chance at a big bull, and have the means to do so, go with a guide. You can be a tough guy later.

Agree with going guided if it works in your situation. I would also recommend talking to Shane Scott with Shane Scott Outfitting. He lives in Richfield and knows the Monroe well and has good guides for that unit as well. I would say go with Russ or Shane Scott's outfit.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Thank you both! @elkhunterUT @roymunson !
I definitely want to go DIY hunting next -- my hope is that I can identify a unit in Wyoming/Montana where I can have a *decent* chance of seeing a legal bull in ~2-3 years (ie when I have 4-5 points) or get lucky with Idaho random draw. Those would still be a long drive away but somewhat more feasible to go scout in advance and do by myself than a trophy unit in Utah.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’ll go against the grain and give you a different opinion based on experience. It was only my second elk hunting season years ago and I drew a OIL tag in the Gila. I wanted the biggest bull on the mountain, naturally. But knew the best chance was to go guided. I didn’t like the idea since hunting is about the process and guides do everything for you other than pull the trigger (easiest part). I knew I wouldn’t feel any sense of accomplishment, I had plenty experience with guided hunts (invited at no cost to me). I did my homework and arrived 5 days before the season to scout and killed a solid mature 6 point on day two of the hunt. Only had a buddy with me to help pack out and he had zero elk experience too.

You say you’ve hunted blacktail which is arguably one of the toughest hunts in the lower 48 along the coast. People might disagree but I’ve hunted all over and elk are by far and away the easiest thing to find and kill with a rifle ESPECIALLY in a LE unit in Utah.

Think about unguided and just do your homework and devote at least 10 days to the hunt. You said it, it’s not about the inches to you. You’ll get a bull just not the 390 that an outfitters posey of 12 will hand you on a silver platter. Just my 02 cents! Good luck either way!

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
I’ll go against the grain and give you a different opinion based on experience. It was only my second elk hunting season years ago and I drew a OIL tag in the Gila. I wanted the biggest bull on the mountain, naturally. But knew the best chance was to go guided. I didn’t like the idea since hunting is about the process and guides do everything for you other than pull the trigger (easiest part). I knew I wouldn’t feel any sense of accomplishment, I had plenty experience with guided hunts (invited at no cost to me). I did my homework and arrived 5 days before the season to scout and killed a solid mature 6 point on day two of the hunt. Only had a buddy with me to help pack out and he had zero elk experience too.

You say you’ve hunted blacktail which is arguably one of the toughest hunts in the lower 48 along the coast. People might disagree but I’ve hunted all over and elk are by far and away the easiest thing to find and kill with a rifle ESPECIALLY in a LE unit in Utah.

Think about unguided and just do your homework and devote at least 10 days to the hunt. You said it, it’s not about the inches to you. You’ll get a bull just not the 390 that an outfitters posey of 12 will hand you on a silver platter. Just my 02 cents! Good luck either way!
I certainly found blacktail deer to be incredibly sneaky and stealthy!

I really appreciate this perspective -- I definitely don't want the "here's the bull we have been GPS tracking for a couple days, pull the trigger" approach to a guided hunt. I am hoping if I go with someone like Russ, I can tailor it to my needs/wishes (namely: actually hunt, actually learn what it takes to hunt elk, find a good elk, ... and then have help packing it out). I don't have any friends that want to take 10 days off work to come along and no family this side of the planet, so I kinda need a hand for hire for some of it.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I certainly found blacktail deer to be incredibly sneaky and stealthy!

I really appreciate this perspective -- I definitely don't want the "here's the bull we have been GPS tracking for a couple days, pull the trigger" approach to a guided hunt. I am hoping if I go with someone like Russ, I can tailor it to my needs/wishes (namely: actually hunt, actually learn what it takes to hunt elk, find a good elk, ... and then have help packing it out). I don't have any friends that want to take 10 days off work to come along and no family this side of the planet, so I kinda need a hand for hire for some of it.

They certainly are, cut my teeth hunting them on the coast. A mature forked horn blacktail means more to me than a 350 bull hah!

If you can get that kind of experience with a one on one guide situation that would certainly be better than the mossbacks of the world. There are def good guides out there but like any other profession there are bad ones that are just in it for the blood and glory of finding the big one to post on their SM. Don’t know anything about this Russ guy but I hope he fits all your hopes.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
I haven't yet taken a mature forkie but hoping to do so this year -- maybe buoyed by the elk hunt success :)

poboy2214

FNG
I got stupid lucky (my best estimate: 1 in 500-1500 chance) and drew October 5th thru 17th Monroe unit any weapon (for me: rifle) Elk tag. The problem: this unit is too good for me. I am not an elk hunter -- I have taken black tail deer on the Washington Olympic Peninsula but haven't ever hunted elk before. Went I entered for this unit, it was very much with the intention of "building points" while I go elsewhere to practice and learn.

But now it looks like I got once-in-a-lifetime luck and need to make the most of it. I can probably do one scouting trip in the summer to see the unit in person but I won't be able to be there much just before the October season starts. My plan would be to drive down from Washington state, rent something local for the two weeks and then drive in + hike in, camp deeper in the unit for some of it. Trying my best. Should I get a guide instead of DIY-ing it?

Background: mid-life onset hunter, two seasons of blacktail deer, probably not a great shot (closest range only goes to 200 yards and while I get shots within deer-vital area in that range, that's under range conditions.. ), reasonably fit (and now with a ton of motivation to get in the best shape I have been at least since having kids), happy to hike a bunch, carry heavy loads, and busily reading up on how to hunt elk.
Fellow adult onset hunter here, I started roughly 7 years ago and due to family circumstances haven’t always been able to go and devote full seasons to it. I wish I would’ve bitten the bullet a few years ago and hired a good outfitter just to learn the basics and flatten the learning curve. You can watch all the YouTube videos in the world and there’s some good stuff in some of them, but there’s no substitute for in the field experience and being with someone who knows what they’re doing. If this is once a lifetime, I would definitely hire an outfitter. You may think you have it all planned out because of stuff you read but you’re going to get out there and the first time something goes off script you’ll realize how little you actually know. Either way, good luck and welcome to your new addiction!

Also, I don’t know much about the unit where you’re going but as a general rule from what I’ve seen you’re going to want to be comfortable shooting out to about 400 yards. Obviously you can get closer in a lot of circumstances, but it’s nice to have that confidence.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Fellow adult onset hunter here, I started roughly 7 years ago and due to family circumstances haven’t always been able to go and devote full seasons to it. I wish I would’ve bitten the bullet a few years ago and hired a good outfitter just to learn the basics and flatten the learning curve. You can watch all the YouTube videos in the world and there’s some good stuff in some of them, but there’s no substitute for in the field experience and being with someone who knows what they’re doing. If this is once a lifetime, I would definitely hire an outfitter. You may think you have it all planned out because of stuff you read but you’re going to get out there and the first time something goes off script you’ll realize how little you actually know. Either way, good luck and welcome to your new addiction!

Also, I don’t know much about the unit where you’re going but as a general rule from what I’ve seen you’re going to want to be comfortable shooting out to about 400 yards. Obviously you can get closer in a lot of circumstances, but it’s nice to have that confidence.
Yeah I read everything I could find and watched a ton of material before deer hunting and felt so prepared. I went into the field 15 full days first deer season and saw zero animals. But, after the season, in prep for next year, I reread everything and suddenly it all made sense. I wasn't able to understand, truly, what I was reading until being out in the field. The next season I actually managed to use some of what I had learned and got a deer the last day of the season.

That season I decided to reread some thinga mid season and I again got so much more out of them. Looking forward to this year October.

Tldr, being in the field is irreplaceable and hence I will splurge for a guide.

king402

FNG

Congrats! Lots of elk and this year should produce some decent bulls. I think you will have a great experience either way as you will see plenty of bulls. There will be a lot of other hunters on the mountain at the same time. You'll most likely kill a bigger bull using a local guide but if you choose to DIY you should still find great success. Good luck and keep us updated!