Drawn out Problem with Leupold Scope - What should I do?

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all! I have a 4.5-14x50 30mm tube Scope from Leupold that has had an issue of adding 2-4MOA of right windage when I adjust the vertical turret.

For background, I used to work 2 doors down from Leupold HQ and brought this scope into them 4 times over the years, by hand, and every time they would bring it back out and say, "It checks out fine. we couldn't find anything"

This made me feel crazy over the years. So after a break with hunting because of work, I jumped back in and started working loads and shooting out to 1200yds and everything in between. With the assumption that everything was fine, I carried on until I went to the range one morning and had nearly zero wind and sure enough I was hitting in that 2-4MOA range, off target.

To give context to my urgency here, I randomly drew a great Utah Mule Deer tag after being diagnosed with cancer last year and I've been pushing my post-surgery recovery to even try and make this hunt happen.

All of that brought me to today. I went to the range and set up a "Tall Target Test". Got in early, plumbed the line, and checked it with a carpenter's level. The first 2 shots hit perfectly for my 200yd zero. I then cranked up 30 MOA and bingo, impact was 2MOA right. I then decided to double check and dialed 30MOA back to my zero and BOOM, 2.5MOA right and additionally 2.5MOA low from my original zero.

How would you handle this situation when I call them Monday? Because now It strongly leans towards the lines of..
1) You didn't back up your product
2) You basically called me a liar four times to my face.
3) I'm now in a position to hurry up prep for a rare Utah tag with time and energy I don't have.

Thanks for your input. Keeping an open mind.

Last edited:
OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Aiming at the orange. Initial hits above the orange which was the original 200yd Zero. After Dialing the 30MOA up and 30MOA back, the bottom right group is what resulted.

Attachments

• 2022-07-23 10.19.35.jpg
    2022-07-23 10.19.35.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 93

Ucsdryder

WKR
Your comment on the podcast made me laugh. I listened to leupold on the back country podcast. It was an infomercial and I was pretty disappointed in Joseph. Let’s just say he didn’t ask any hard hitting questions even admitting he’s had issues with leupold products.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Your comment on the podcast made me laugh. I listened to leupold on the back country podcast. It was an infomercial and I was pretty disappointed in Joseph. Let’s just say he didn’t ask any hard hitting questions even admitting he’s had issues with leupold products.
Comment on a podcast? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
If I was in your position and had the funds, I'd ditch that scope and get something else. Even if there's a cure, it would always be in the back of my head that there could be a problem that would happen on a once in a lifetime shot.
100% with you on this. I have ~$1700 into this scope and all of the accessories. Drank the Kool-aide hard of wanting to support a company that's doing good things for the sport...it's been disappointing.

JFK

WKR
Buy a different scope. Lack of confidence in your gear is as bad or worse than a scope that doesn’t track. I put a Nightforce on a rifle last year, and that’s the one I like shooting the most now days.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
All scopes can fail... But Lupy's have been the worst for me. Ask for a new one and sale it. Lots of guys will line up to buy it because it's "Made in America."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
This thread is why if I was going to buy a scope that I needed to rely on returning to zero it sitka be a leopold. And I'm a big user of their products. I have no first hand experience dialing with a leopold, but have had many report similar problems.

I've liked everything else about their products and their service when I've had an issue.

To the OP, I would return and ask for a new one and sell it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

100% with you on this. I have ~$1700 into this scope and all of the accessories. Drank the Kool-aide hard of wanting to support a company that's doing good things for the sport...it's been disappointing.
You seem like a dedicated long range shooter.

Pretty sure you knew the answer to this problem the first time they said it was fine. I’m sure the scope will be fine for someone not dialing drops.

On the bright side you get to go shopping! I’m sure you already know which scopes have proven to track consistently.

I wouldn't call. Send them an email with a description and pictures of what you did, the serial number, your return shipping address, the service history of the scope, and the timeline for your hunt.

Ask for a label at their expense to evaluate the scope for replacement. They might replace it, they might not, but at least you're making clear to them that this is a recurring issue that they've repeatedly said is fine but is not. You're also putting everything in an email that can be forwarded on to their management for review, rather than asking a customer service agent to fix your problem immediately in a phone call.

amassi

WKR
I just watched a Mark5 review and they lost zero in the tests on that scope. That would be the one I wouldn't expect to happen in their line of options.... Wonderful
It's time to consider a different brand

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Update - Leupold has offered to consider replacing the scope when it arrives at their HQ.

I want to be fair to their efforts and not bash them in any way. I do respect what they do for the Hunting and Shooting sports outside of their business.

To give some background, it seems that they’ve gone through considerable changes internally over the time I’ve had this issue.

I’ll keep this thread updated on the progress moving forward.

JFK

WKR
Let us know how it goes. If they could get some stuff worked out with their scopes they would be hands down the best option for hunting. Their scopes are compact, lightweight and are very clear. All other things being equal, I’ll always give my money to an American company.

Update - Leupold has offered to consider replacing the scope when it arrives at their HQ.

I want to be fair to their efforts and not bash them in any way. I do respect what they do for the Hunting and Shooting sports outside of their business.

To give some background, it seems that they’ve gone through considerable changes internally over the time I’ve had this issue.

They may replace it but idk what they say they haven't made any improvements that actually make there scopes reliable to dial.

Buy a Nightforce

Ucsdryder

WKR

I love their slogan “the best warranty you’ll never have to use.” I’d love someone to sue them for lying. They don’t have the best warranty, it’s mediocre at best, and one of the worst (rangefinders) and the part about not needing it? That’s funny.