Drawn out Problem with Leupold Scope - What should I do?

amassi

WKR
I love their slogan “the best warranty you’ll never have to use.” I’d love someone to sue them for lying. They don’t have the best warranty, it’s mediocre at best, and one of the worst (rangefinders) and the part about not needing it? That’s funny.
Consumers - this rangefinder is 731 days old and stopped working
Leupold- not our problem, but here's 5% of our online store

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Consumers - this rangefinder is 731 days old and stopped working
Leupold- not our problem, but here's 5% of our online store

💯

Go buy another POS that’ll last you 2.5 years. Our best warranty in the business only covers our scopes, that are equally as shitty, but most people don’t realize it, they just keep re-sighting them in every year.

Ucsdryder

WKR
But the glass, the glass
Let’s face it. They’re a less shit on version of vortex because they’re made in America.

They both have their issues, both dump a TON of money into sponsors that pimp their product, but vortex has a way better warranty, night and day better. For that reason I’ll take vortex every day over leupold.

amassi

WKR
Let’s face it. They’re a less shit on version of vortex because they’re made in America.

They both have their issues, both dump a TON of money into sponsors that pimp their product, but vortex has a way better warranty, night and day better. For that reason I’ll take vortex every day over leupold.
Both sponsor poachers and conveniently ignore that when they get caught and start posting hunts in Canada, Mexico, new Zealand and Africa for a year or so.

Interesting. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I’ve had to return every Vortex scope I’ve ever owned at least one. Apparently I’m a sucker because it took me 4 times to give up on them.

I own a safe full (at least 12) Leupold
Scopes and not a single one has had to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WJM1000

FNG
Hello all! I have a 4.5-14x50 30mm tube Scope from Leupold that has had an issue of adding 2-4MOA of right windage when I adjust the vertical turret.

For background, I used to work 2 doors down from Leupold HQ and brought this scope into them 4 times over the years, by hand, and every time they would bring it back out and say, "It checks out fine. we couldn't find anything"

This made me feel crazy over the years. So after a break with hunting because of work, I jumped back in and started working loads and shooting out to 1200yds and everything in between. With the assumption that everything was fine, I carried on until I went to the range one morning and had nearly zero wind and sure enough I was hitting in that 2-4MOA range, off target.

To give context to my urgency here, I randomly drew a great Utah Mule Deer tag after being diagnosed with cancer last year and I've been pushing my post-surgery recovery to even try and make this hunt happen.

All of that brought me to today. I went to the range and set up a "Tall Target Test". Got in early, plumbed the line, and checked it with a carpenter's level. The first 2 shots hit perfectly for my 200yd zero. I then cranked up 30 MOA and bingo, impact was 2MOA right. I then decided to double check and dialed 30MOA back to my zero and BOOM, 2.5MOA right and additionally 2.5MOA low from my original zero.

How would you handle this situation when I call them Monday? Because now It strongly leans towards the lines of..
1) You didn't back up your product
2) You basically called me a liar four times to my face.
3) I'm now in a position to hurry up prep for a rare Utah tag with time and energy I don't have.

Thanks for your input. Keeping an open mind.
One thing I'd try is, at the range string your plumb line at some distance, set your gun in your normal shooting position and hold steady on the plumb line and have a someone adjust the elevation in the up direction (the crosshairs should move down on the plumb line) and see if it tracks off to the left. If it does loosen the scope and adjust as needed until it tracks on the plumb line. It could be the scope or your normal hold is canted.

Long range only mark 5 review

I was wondering if that was the one. You know I’m no Leupold fan boy by any means. But as many mark 5’s as there are out there, I’d say that’s the only one I’ve heard of having any issue. And if by chance this has occurred with others, I’d say as many thousands that are out there, that’s extremely low. If you took 5000 Mark 5’s sold and 40 of them had issues, usually one hears about it. Could have 1500 S&B sold and if 15 had issues, it’s usually under the radar but would be considered a higher rate of issue. I don’t think Furmans 1 sample is a representation of how most Mark 5’s are.

amassi

WKR
I was wondering if that was the one. You know I’m no Leupold fan boy by any means. But as many mark 5’s as there are out there, I’d say that’s the only one I’ve heard of having any issue. And if by chance this has occurred with others, I’d say as many thousands that are out there, that’s extremely low. If you took 5000 Mark 5’s sold and 40 of them had issues, usually one hears about it. Could have 1500 S&B sold and if 15 had issues, it’s usually under the radar but would be considered a higher rate of issue. I don’t think Furmans 1 sample is a representation of how most Mark 5’s are.
I've had issues
Many people have had issues
We typically come to these threads and say we have had issues
Nobody listens and says well leupold sells x scopes...
I am a leupold fan boy, emotional fan boy with nostalgia and the whole 9. I tried so hard to get their scopes to work like they should for the price and they don't
The last mark 5 I warrantied they didn't repair it they tested a mil scope on an moa board and said it tracked to their spec. Then they sent my mil scope back with an moa elevation dial.
Something isn't right in Oregon, I've moved on and it's amazing

I've had issues
I am a leupold fan boy, emotional fan boy with nostalgia and the whole 9. I tried so hard to get their scopes to work like they should for the price and they don't
The last mark 5 I warrantied they didn't repair it they tested a mil scope on an moa board and said it tracked to their spec. Then they sent my mil scope back with an moa elevation dial.

No I totally agree. I was just making a statement that it happens more so with more volume. I am a NF fanboy and here I am sending in my second NF. First being an ATACR and now a new NX8 literally right out of the box.

I get it.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I've had issues

I'm in the same boat. As far as the emails I have going back and forth with them... my final report is going to be very telling.

Stand by for impact, gents

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
No I totally agree. I was just making a statement that it happens more so with more volume. I am a NF fanboy and here I am sending in my second NF. First being an ATACR and now a new NX8 literally right out of the box.

I get it.

What are the two issues?

(And I’ve had several MK5’s have zero retention problems).

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Posting to subscribe. Looking forward to the report.

I'm in the same boat. As far as the emails I have going back and forth with them... my final report is going to be very telling.

Stand by for impact, gents

What are the two issues?

(And I’ve had several MK5’s have zero retention problems).

The first was an ATACR (C545). Had erratic POI at 100 yards. Spent a few weeks trying to resolve. Took gun back to builder here in Montana (well known) and went through everything. Swapped optic for NF competition. All fine. Shot great for a week of Rock Chucks. Defiance action with integrated rail so no base issue.
Put NF rings and my ATACR back on. Same issue. Just all over at 100 yards. Reached out to NF and was told to send optic AND rings in. Said they had issues with ring tolerances previously. :NOTE. (There was visible signs of slippage in the rings at 20 inch pounds. We torqued rings to 24 inch pounds and tried again. This time, rings held scope but POI still changing.)
After a few weeks , NF sent optic back with new set of rings. Set rings to 24 and same thing. Again, NF said to return optic. 4-5 weeks later ATACR returned and note said (elevation turret replaced). It’s been excellent ever since.

Second is just recently. Received an NX8 I had sent too me from Scheels in Billings MT. Quite literally out of the box the elevation turret almost wouldn’t turn. Called Scheels to see if someone had the optic out of the box previously. Was informed its never been. Called NF and went over a few. They said to return the optic. I just sent back to Scheels instead. NF thought possibly a burr in the turret assembly.
These are the only two hiccups I’ve ever had with NF and that’s out of all the NXS/ATACR/NX8’s I’ve owned or own. These rest have been perfect.

Ironically, last year , I sent in a Mark 5HD for a parallax issue. They returned a new optic. And as interesting as this is and I find it very coincidental that I come across your test, because for no reason whatsoever, that returned Mark 5 had some issue with bouncing left and right where I was constantly adjusting the windage turret by 6-7 MOA. Sent optic in. Received new one and sold it. S&B EXOS sitting on it now without any issues. So out of the 4 Mark 5s I’ve had, 2 of them essentially didn’t work.
Thoroughly enjoy reading the testing you do.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The first was an ATACR (C545). Had erratic POI at 100 yards. Spent a few weeks trying to resolve. Took gun back to builder here in Montana (well known) and went through everything. Swapped optic for NF competition. All fine. Shot great for a week of Rock Chucks. Defiance action with integrated rail so no base issue.
Put NF rings and my ATACR back on. Same issue. Just all over at 100 yards. Reached out to NF and was told to send optic AND rings in. Said they had issues with ring tolerances previously. :NOTE. (There was visible signs of slippage in the rings at 20 inch pounds. We torqued rings to 24 inch pounds and tried again. This time, rings held scope but POI still changing.)
After a few weeks , NF sent optic back with new set of rings. Set rings to 24 and same thing. Again, NF said to return optic. 4-5 weeks later ATACR returned and note said (elevation turret replaced). It’s been excellent ever since.

Thank you.

Second is just recently. Received an NX8 I had sent too me from Scheels in Billings MT.

What model NX8? I’ve had a couple that had tight zero stops/turrets and had to use a pair of pliers to break free when new, worked fine after that. Having said that, while still relatively few issues, I have seen more issues with the 2.5-20x NX8 than all other NF’s combined.

Thank you.

What model NX8? I’ve had a couple that had tight zero stops/turrets and had to use a pair of pliers to break free when new, worked fine after that. Having said that, while still relatively few issues, I have seen more issues with the 2.5-20x NX8 than all other NF’s combined.

Yup. It was the 2.5-20 NX8. It was pretty tight and I actually could move it, about one MOA and then I got a little nervous and stopped. Maybe I should have worked at it a bit after reading your comment. May not have needed to return.