Draw weight

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
image.png

ckleeves

WKR
While elk hunting I not only bugle but also wallow and urinate all over myself- Herd bulls fear losing their harem to me even after they have identified me as human.....

reedjj

FNG
I am shooting 60 right now, 4 months out of shoulder surgery from an injury while in the Marine Corps. Working my way back to 70, I really like the flatter trajectory of my bow at 70.

sk1

WKR
I don't know how people do it or how you work up to it, again what everyone else said you just have to go with what is comfortable for you....I shoot 74 lbs 30" draw....I have considered lowering it, but I can pull it back fine from any position and I can creep it as slow as humanly possible if i want to, so I keep it there...If I was back in north dakota tree stand hunting in 30 to -30 degrees I may consider lowering it, gotta consider everything is harder to do when you're frozen solid!

The more you practice the more your draw weight stands to increase. At 50 arrows A DAY, you should be well on your way.. With that said, if you are sore the next day, don't shoot as many arrows each day. Muscle Memory, that's what it is all about.

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a homemade longbow made from leaf springs and steel cable, Shoots rebarb for a small diameter arrow. Chuck Norris came over the other day to shoot and had to quit after he tried to draw it. Daniel

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I only shoot at 60 lbs. But at that weight even my little T-Rex arms can work with that. :D

SlimJim,

You know how a deers front legs are just held in place by ligaments and such, well the human shoulder is the same way. So, even if you can "handle" say 70# now, if 60# is easier on your shoulder, then go with the 60# instead. As you get older your body will start to rebel against the abuse we give it when we are younger, so help your shoulder last longer by shooting what you need for good arrow flight and good penetration rather than the maximum your body will do.

Larry "has shoulder problems now in his 50's" Schwartz

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Larry, point well taken. I'm 42 years old and I know joints are going to start going out in the next decade or so. I am going to stick with the 60lbs until technology will let me use 50 lbs. with the same speeds and kinetic energy. Hurry up technology!

Beastmode

WKR
This thread is seriously a crack up. On the topic of DW I shoot 60lbs. I can pull back 70 but why? Ive never heard anyone say, "If I only would have been shooting a 70lb bow that animal would have been dead." I can comfortably shoot a 60 lb bow all day long and not have a sore shoulder. A properly tuned bow with the right arrow and broadhead selection for that bow will consistantly kill animanls when you hit them in the right spot whether its 50, 60 70 + pounds, hell I know an older guy that shoots 40lbs due to a bad shoulder and still kills deer.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This thread is seriously a crack up. On the topic of DW I shoot 60lbs. I can pull back 70 but why? Ive never heard anyone say, "If I only would have been shooting a 70lb bow that animal would have been dead." I can comfortably shoot a 60 lb bow all day long and not have a sore shoulder. A properly tuned bow with the right arrow and broadhead selection for that bow will consistantly kill animanls when you hit them in the right spot whether its 50, 60 70 + pounds, hell I know an older guy that shoots 40lbs due to a bad shoulder and still kills deer.[/QUOTE

Why wouldn't you shoot the highest poundage you can control/shoot accurately? and I've heard multiple people say they wished they had been shooting higher poundage after a miss/wounded animal.

I see nothing wrong with shooting 50, 60 70 or whatever you feel comfortable with, but saying there's no benefit to heavier poundage (if you can control it and within reason), is far from accurate.... I'd prefer getting hit by Lance Armstrong over Randy Couture any day of the week.

Beastmode

WKR
Why wouldn't you shoot the highest poundage you can control/shoot accurately? and I've heard multiple people say they wished they had been shooting higher poundage after a miss/wounded animal.

I see nothing wrong with shooting 50, 60 70 or whatever you feel comfortable with, but saying there's no benefit to heavier poundage (if you can control it and within reason), is far from accurate.... I'd prefer getting hit by Lance Armstrong over Randy Couture any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Im not saying don't shoot a higher poundage bow, if you can shoot a 90lb bow accurately and consistently that is great. I shoot a 60lb bow because I can draw it without struggling in almost any position,(sitting, kneeling, steep sidehill, laying down etc...) and get to a comfortable shooting postion while at full draw and be accurate. I see too many people at different shoots and at the local club that say hey can shoot a 70lb or 80lb bow and you watch them draw while making a noise similar to a rutting buck. LOL While at full draw they are rushing the shot because it is a little too much to hold back for them. If someone is making a noise like that when they draw on flat ground at the range i sure as hell don't want them to be shooting at an animal in a hunting situation. No one should think that they need to shoot a higher DW or they won't kill animals. Unless you are going for huge game.

The main thing is being confident with what they shoot and practice practice practice. I don't really understand how a higher poundage bow would prevent a miss? I could see a little better trajectory but thats where being confident and accurate with whatever bow you are using comes in to play. A gut shot deer with a 60 lb bow is still a gut shot deer with a 80lb bow.

B

bearguide

rebecca shot two brown bears at 54 lbs and 25 inch draw, it is about shot placement