Dollars per ounce

WKR
When I was buying a pack, I ended up spending about $215 for a 117oz system (used Dana Designs K2 frame with used Exo K2 bag) that is comfortable and has all the features I wanted. All the while I was eyeing an Exo K3 for $600 that would have done the same job for me at 80oz. I guess my ratio was around $10/oz at the time.

KingGus

WKR
Where I save my ounces is in multi-use gear. I've used my poncho for rain cover, as a ground sheet, and as a tarp when field dressing. My walking stick has a V-style rifle rest on top that I use as a monopod. My Havalon Talon has "bushcraft" and saw blade attachments so I don't carry a separate saw. My BotPot carries water during the day, is my cook pot for dinner, and my heat source in my sleeping bag. Etc. I spend more on multi-use items.
Do you run out of water much just using the BotPot for a bottle?

taskswap

WKR
Do you run out of water much just using the BotPot for a bottle?
When it's colder and I use less water, one full BotPot is enough for a day for me (34oz) but I typically carry 64oz just to be safe. On most of those trips I have a filter to resupply just like any other water setup. If it's hot or I need more margin I just bring extra bottles in lightweight SmartWater or similar bottles.

The BotPot doesn't really replace the need for water storage/capacity. It's more about replacing the need for a cooking pot. Most pots have crappy lids - you'd never carry anything liquid in them, and my last pot (a 900mL Toaks) had such a loosely fitting lid that I had to keep a rubber band on it when packed so things like my gas cylinder inside didn't fall out.

That was 4.4oz, and the Bot Pot is 5.2. But since this replaces a 1.2oz-empty-weight Smart Water bottle, I'm still 0.4oz lighter, and have a pot that now has three functions: water carry, cooking, and night-time heat in my sleeping bag. Since it has a wide mouth it's also easy to use with a Steripen or "emergency" uses like melting snow or ice chunks if there's a cold snap and I can't filter running water.

Doing the math, with the Bot Pot about twice the price of the Toaks pot, I guess that was one of my more expensive items at $100+ per ounce saved. But that's why this isn't apples-to-apples. That pot has several uses that fit my needs and hunting style. YMMV.

KingGus

WKR
When it's colder and I use less water, one full BotPot is enough for a day for me (34oz) but I typically carry 64oz just to be safe. On most of those trips I have a filter to resupply just like any other water setup. If it's hot or I need more margin I just bring extra bottles in lightweight SmartWater or similar bottles.

The BotPot doesn't really replace the need for water storage/capacity. It's more about replacing the need for a cooking pot. Most pots have crappy lids - you'd never carry anything liquid in them, and my last pot (a 900mL Toaks) had such a loosely fitting lid that I had to keep a rubber band on it when packed so things like my gas cylinder inside didn't fall out.

That was 4.4oz, and the Bot Pot is 5.2. But since this replaces a 1.2oz-empty-weight Smart Water bottle, I'm still 0.4oz lighter, and have a pot that now has three functions: water carry, cooking, and night-time heat in my sleeping bag.
I like your style! Counting 0.1 of oz's

taskswap

WKR
I like your style! Counting 0.1 of oz's
It might seem a little silly to some. But it adds up for sure. I dropped 10lbs of pack weight and 8lbs of beer-belly weight and it made a huge difference on my range and energy while I'm hunting...

CMF

WKR
It's definitely a complex equation. I think features, total cost, total weight savings(am I saving 10oz or 0.5oz), durability, etc all come into play. I guess $10/oz is around borderline for me. I haven't yet upgraded my $30 amazon trekking poles, 19.4 oz, to $100 S&S poles, 12.6oz., the difference which comes out to about $10.3/oz. Considering this one upgrade will save me 6.8 oz. It will probably happen eventually, either this year or next. I don't even look at small things like headlights anymore, since I'm more interested in the other features.

pirogue

WKR
An ounce, in some regards is worth more, and has different implications, depending on the subject matter. For example, my older, Marmot Helium sleeping bag has 900 Ct goose down. It’s lighter and compresses more than todays 800 Ct goose down for the same temperature rated bag. I’d pay more for that, again. Bulk can be as important as weight.