Dogs in the back country while hunting

Manosteel

WKR
How many of you hunt the back country with you dogs in tow? I see pics and the odd thread about dogs going into the mountain and the cool packs they wear to hold gear but how many of you are actually hunting when you have your dog with you? I just watched a video of Cody Robins (Live to Hunt and current archery mule deer record holder) go on a guided hunt for goats and his guide had a black lab with them while hunting.

This really peaked my interest since this year I may have to go solo into the mountains and my wife is not comfortable with that idea at all. I also remember when i was a kid my grandpa always taking his German Shepard cross with something, moose hunting and he would actual stalk on his belly with him not making a sound.

So who does and how did you do it, any special training?

Last edited:
ive never had my dog on a hunt but id love to, not sure about the legality in my libtard state. they mostly just come backpacking, scouting and getting in shape

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind the following applies in Alberta:

It is unlawful to be accompanied by a dog while hunting big game or allow a dog to pursue big game except when hunting cougar under the authority of a Cougar Licence, from December 1 to the last day of February (the winter season).

Attempts have been made to have this reversed but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you hunt the back country with you dogs in tow? I see pics and the odd thread about dogs going into the mountain and the cool packs they wear to hold gear but how many of you are actually hunting when you have your dog with you? I just watched a video of Cody Robins (Live to Hunt and current archery mule deer record holder) go on a guided hunt for goats and his guide had a black lab with them while hunting.

This really peaked my interest since this year I may have to go solo into the mountains and my wife is not comfortable with that idea at all. I also remember my grandpa always taking his German Shepard cross with something, moose hunting and he would actual stalk on his belly with us not making a sound.

So who does and how did you do it, any special training?

I was just thinking about this the other day, would like to learn about the subject too.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Keep in mind the following applies in Alberta:

Attempts have been made to have this reversed but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet.

That's what I thought, but that show with Cody looked pretty recent and I was pretty sure they were hunting Alberta but not 100%. That's to bad a well trained dog would be a good companion in the bush, not to use in the hunt, I think they would be a hindrance if not trained to stay put and quite, just to have around and deter bears. I still wonder how those people that can take them during hunting season did take them and do it without compromising the hunt.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Cody wouldn't have been able to hunt goats in Alberta, I think I saw that episode and it was BC where using dogs to pack is legal.

Have a look back over at AO, this topic about using dogs for packing in Alberta has been covered quite a few times in the past.

My Harem

FNG
I went on a sheep hunt up in the yukon a couple of years ago. My guide had a dog. It was one of the best experiences of my life. That dog was amazing. I have so many great experiences from that trip. When we started I was apprehensive about having "a pet" on the trip. I asked if the dog would chase stuff or start barking. He explained to me the dog was a working dog. It packed and provided protection as well as companionship. He told me not to worry about bears at night as the dog would have our back. If the dog took off in the middle of the night only worry if it quits barking. One night this came to be, I woke up to hearing the dog growling by my feet in our tent (guide was snoring). I sat up, loaded a round, put on the headlight. The dog had it hair up and was mildly growling. After what seemed like forever he turned around went back to his part of the tent and layed down and went back to sleep. I thought if the dog can sleep so should I. I did go back to sleep, never woke the guide. Next morning outside the tent 5' from my feet were grizzly tracks.

I am not nervous or scared of bears - just have a great respect. We saw over 16 different bears on a 12 day trip. This dog enabled me to sleep peacefully at night. there were no trees where we were at. and food was always by the tent. not a good combination

It also packed about 30 lbs of gear every day all day. When we got my sheep and had a 5 mile hike back to camp in the middle of the night it lead the way and packed out about a 45 lbs load of meat. Like crazy-dave says dogs can't be used to hunt in some circumstances. But when you can use a dog in a capacity like this you should. when I go on another sheep trip I will be looking forward to selecting a guide who uses dogs. It WILL be a mandatory requirement in my selection.

I have hunted sheep my self DIY here in alberta for years. You cannot hunt certain areas as a non resident with out the use of a guide. That was my first trip and It was awesome. Just like going out with one of my regular hunting buddies.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
That's a great story and sounds like a great hunt! I just read, not sure if its true, that Aberta is the only jurisdiction with mountain hunting where pack dogs are not permitted. That's to bad your story is the perfect example of why you would want a dog with you.

My Harem

FNG
Yeah - story or myth is that a sheep hunter had a trained sheep herding dog with him while hunting sheep here in AB. he had the dog herding sheep off the Cadomine mine to him in the open zone. They banned dogs in Alberta after that.

One idiot (polite term) ruins it for the whole.

wyodan

WKR
My dog goes on all my trips with me. He even packed out some of my deer for me! It's a lit of fun to have them along.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
It always has to be one dumb act, real or perceived, that has to ruin it for everyone! I detest that kind of knee jerk law making, but it always seems that how wildlife laws are past nowadays.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree with you Muledeer, about one thing: It doesn't bode well with us to see dogs chasing wildlife and acting like a dumb arse...but, that's the result of ownership, not the dog itself, IMO. Dogs behave like animals, or less so when their gardians are well behaved and responsible.

My dogs do what we ask of them, and we reward them with lots of personal attention, exercise, and adventure...and they behave like our human counterparts, sometimes better.

Dogs don't complain when it rains or snows for days...tent time is more enjoyable with dogs than stinky guys (gals excluded of course), and they sleep next to you and occasionally warn us of hairy critters that need special attention around camp.

It comes down to companionship and loyalty, and when you have a dog that exercises that energy in a positive way, and you harvest an animal, it's all the more enjoyable of an experience.

One year we were floating a wild river in Alaska and our female dog, Chachi, kept watching a shiny spot on a hillside about 2 miles away. Curious, we bino'd the area and found the shiny spot and wondered what it was...a wet rock, debris from a plane wreckage...who knew for sure. The next day we committed to hiking to the shiny spot.

It turned out to be a rocket that the University shot into the stratosphere to release gases and then study the Aurora Borelias in the northern pole. Also turns out that that the University offers cash reward for locating unfound rocket debris that return to the landscape and litter the environment. We got a check for $1200 for this one. We were impressed with our dog for paying closer attention to detail than we did on that trip, and it paid for half our expense for getting there.

just a thought!

View attachment 6531

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Take my mutt along on all trips in the woods and on the water. Like said previously, he doesn't complain about the long hikes in, heavy packouts, and the crappy weather in between.