Dog pee on ac unit

Will_m

WKR
This is both a warning and a question. First, don’t let dogs pee on your ac.

Second, has anybody had to replace a condenser coil? They are telling me it can’t be repaired and I’ll either have to replace the coil or just get a whole new unit. Supposedly they are going to get me some quotes on both.

2016 Goodman. Original owner didn’t register warranty so that’s out.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'd just get a new condenser. When those fins are gone your condenser looses ability to reject heat. Pee, vegetables gases and other things erode aluminum fins. I've replaced many evap coils in walk-ins from various off gassing from vegetables and other products.
At our last house I poured a concrete pad, built a fence around the condenser with a gate and then used plastic and rock for the ground around the concrete. It keeps kids/animals out as well as keeping weeds/grass from growing around it.

gabenzeke

WKR
We replaced a condenser coil a couple years ago. I think it cost us 1300 bucks if I remember correctly. AC unit was less than 8 years old at the time, but there was some debate as to whether our builder told us he registered for a warranty. Pretty sure he said he did, but either way it wasn't registered so that came out of my pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
Happened to me last year and unfortunately our condenser was 20 years old, so 16k later we had a whole new system inside and out because of the regs with the coolant.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Replace the entire condensing uint, By the time you get done with replacing just the coil and the labor cost, you will be into 2/3rd the cost of new unit. That was always the guide line we used when recommending repair vs replacement. I worked A/C for 38 years.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Replace the entire condensing uint, By the time you get done with replacing just the coil and the labor cost, you will be into 2/3rd the cost of new unit. That was always the guide line we used when recommending repair vs replacement. I worked A/C for 38 years.
This makes me feel a little better. That’s what I ended up doing but I felt like they were taking me for a run with that.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You did the right thing. Now put a wire fence around unit so dogs can't close enough to piss on.

*zap*

WKR
train that dog, my terrier pissed on a tent I had set up....twice. It took 2x to get the message across because he is a thick headed/hard terrier.