Does the 6.5 PRC have enough ass?

Rob5589

WKR
Curious, how did you come up with 700 as your max? People always throw out a number and I'm truly curious how they come up with it.

A great way to know if you're capable is grab a 10" gong, hit the mountains, place it at various distances, and shoot from various positions. That should give you an idea of your max. Hitting a 12" gong at 800, static from prone, isn't the same as hunting.

This is the "cool' way of asking if a cartridge has enough "power".

Call it Ft Lbs, kinectic energy, ass, whatever you wish..

JL

I agree. My comment was about having enough ass as being new slang.

I’m 54 years old and have heard that all my life.

I understand the meaning of the saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ianpadron

WKR
I'd be more concerned about a fella who hasn't hunted in the mountains before thinking 700 yards is in his wheelhouse. No offense.

6.5 PRC has more than enough sauce to keep a myriad of excellent bullets going faster than 1600 FPS at that range. Shit, a 6.5 creedmoor does too.

Good on ya for realizing you don't need a 300 magnum of some variety to kill an elk, but 700 is a LOOOOONG way if you're not a pro at calling wind, which if you've never hunted in the mountains... you're not, and won't be for awhile.

I passed an elk at 750 yards this year with my 338 Lapua and then ended up shooting him at 75 yards. How far is your furthest shot at a target? Was it a first round impact? If you shoot an elk in the ass at 700 it isn't going to die, the same as if you shoot on at 100 in the ass. It isn't about having enough gun. I'd suggest getting a 22 lr trainer and shooting some NRL22 courses. When you start shooting along the lines of actually competing, then get a 223 and start practicing. When you master that, move up to a 308 or a 260 rem/6.5 creedmoor/6.5x47 lapua and learn how to shoot that. Then, when you have accomplished this, spent tens of thousands of dollars, and burned out a half a dozen barrels, you will know the answer to your question. Or, option 2, learn how to get close and shoot them under 300 yards or what your realistic ability is. You can buy a 6.5 prc and learn shooting, but it'll burn barrels, potentially create a flinch, and cost a lot more. Just cause you can spend the money on the tool doesn't mean that you can perform the job.

I think it has been implied in previous posts, but Long Range shooting is a perishable skill and needs to be maintained or built upon. Like @Formidilosus said it takes lots of practice, time, and experience to be proficient. Just because I could make a shot last year, doesn't mean that I can do it again this year. Just because I maybe could have made a shot last fall, doesn't mean I can do it again this spring after hibernating all winter. My previous post was a bit passive aggressive and I apologize, I didn't read the whole thread. I do think that under the correct scenarios, that Long Range Hunting can be ethical, but it is literally rocket science and many people think that just because they can get the equipment, they can kill animals at long range. In fact, I think that is a general though. Take out a rifle, sight it in once a year, and then go hunt. I'm not sure if you remember a few years ago, but Corey Jacobson missed an elk on a show with Newberg with a Sig Cross. His excuse "I just got the rifle and haven't shot it much" Do you think as a bow hunter he just shoots a few arrows a year? If you want to long range hunt, shoot a rifle more than the best bow hunter shoots their bow, and then do it again in the mountains, or follow @Formidilosus advice. It's pretty much spot on. Also, shooting some Hunter field matches or Field matches (Similar to PRS, but with 11lb rifles instead of 22lb rifles) and not shooting a belly match helped a ton. Learn from some of the best in those games. And, remember, it is Literally Rocket science.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
People should be proud of how close their shots are, not the other way around. This is the reason for a lot of the dissent felt on this thread. 6.5 PRC will do the job for 99% of realistic hunting scenarios. Get closer for the other 1%

Elk in the mountains… learn something about elk. Learn where they go soon as they hear the first rifle pop. Learn how to mentally stay in the game. That’ll punch more tags.

In 12 elk hunts I’ve passed 1 opportunity on a rag horn at 818. I just won’t shoot that far at game. I passed another few years back at 610 cause I hadn’t practiced enough that summer and it just didn’t feel right. Every other elk I’ve killed has been within 330 yard.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
@Jjustus16 good on you for taking in everyone’s feedback and using it to adjust your focus and goals. It was nothing to do with you personally. A fair number of people each year post asking what setup they need to shoot an elk or deer at XXX yardage. Many of them get upset and won’t listen when they are told to adjust their expectations and approach.

The vast majority of individuals on this forum truly care about the animals we hunt and want new hunters to do so as well. Your open mindedness is going to make you a better hunter and in less time.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted elk for over 40 years, killed more than 25 with numerous calibers. 6mm Rem, 7RM, .270 Win, 30-06, 300 WSM, .44 Mag, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, 338 WM and probably a few more that I can't remember. The longest shot was 140 yds with a 6.5 CM and the shortest was probably 15 yds with the 338 WM. Average shot distance is probably in the neighborhood of 40-50 yards. I hunt in timber because that is where I find the elk. We have had our elk camp in the same location since 1988 and with 3-4 guys hunting each year, we have killed 57 elk out of that camp. The longest shot anyone has taken was 435 yds and that was with an old Mauser 8x57 with anemic factory ammo and iron sights, one shot through the heart.

I have sat on the hillside looking across the canyon, probably 250-300 yds in a snowstorm and watched the snow through my binoculars. The falling snow changed directions probably 4 times due to the swirling wind in one pass looking across, looked like a drunk navigating the sidewalk at closing time.

Last fall in Wyoming we were on a cow hunt and I didn't have a tag, so I was kind of acting as a pseudo guide for a guy from MN that had hunted elk a couple times before. It snowed/rained all day the first day and visibility kind of sucked, but we did manage to see a real nice buck feeding on the ridge across the draw. We got into elk the next day but the wind was blowing pretty strong and Rick wasn't comfortable taking a 450 yd shot, well lets get closer. This time the elk were no longer around when we got there, pushed by other hunters. Later that morning we were still hunting through the relatively open lodgepole, quiet going, but could only see 75-80 yards for the most part and that was narrow slots through the trees. I was constantly watching for tan patches, we knew elk were there because they were bugling earlier. I spotted a tan spot, put up my binos, and saw elk hair, but it looked wrinkled. Turns out it was a 5 pt bull bedded about 40 yards in front of us. He finally saw us, stood and peed in his bed and took a couple steps. I kneeled down and was able to see the whole animal, Rick knelt beside me and watched the bull through his scope. Finally the bull had enough of us and walked off into the timber. Rick stood up and told me that made his hunt to be able to sneak up on a bedded bull. He didn't get an elk on that trip, but he had a successful hunt.

I had a cow tag in Utah in 2021. Third day of the hunt I had my partner who didn't have a tag work up the ridge from about a mile away. I was into elk right away, but they crossed over onto private back towards my partner. I worked farther up the ridge and then saw an elk above me, she fed out of sight so I crept closer. I was in the middle of a knee high patch of brush with no cover when all of a sudden I was surrounded by elk, pinned down, from about 40 yards away. I had to stand still and watch them out of the corner of my eye, while they either watched me or fed behind cover. After what seemed like 10 minutes one of the cows gave me a clear shot, so I took it. She went behind a tree and stood there for about 5 minutes. The tree was thick enough that when she walked back out the opposite direction, I wasn't comfortable shooting again until I was able to verify that she wasn't piled up behind the tree. I was able to take a few steps up hill and see that was indeed the cow that I shot that walked back out, so hit her again and she piled up. Had to go the top of the ridge to contact my partner, turns out he had been chasing elk all morning and wondering why I wasn't where he thought I should be, he was kind of pissed until I told him I already had my cow. Turns out the first shot was a little far back and she had exhaled because the bullet went through the diaphragm twice, once each side and clipping the liver in between.

Long way to say that elk hunting is addicting and it is very personal, its you against nature. You are in the animal's bedroom/backyard. You have to attain the skills to be able to get into their house undetected.

Last edited:

npm352

WKR
You'd be better at researching and figuring how to get closer to elk rather than the absolute maximum distance you can kill one.

I suggest dropping the pride on the shooting stuff and listening to what people are saying. Steel is different than fur. People get dialed in on steel and three "pings" later they act like they're Chris Kyle. It is different in the mountains with field positions and an animal with legs.

If you want to be a better hunter, put the energy and time into figuring out how to get close to animals.