Does Dialing Take Too Long?

You might be making incorrect assumptions about me.
no prolly not, I'm sure you're a killer, just maybe we have had different experiences, my province lets us chase prairies to mountain tops so we get the majority gamut of big game, speed goats to billy goats, it's probably the differences in our target species getting in the way here

Im so lost in this thread now.

That being said, the coulee deer in Alberta aren’t special or unique. Nor is the method of shooting at deer on the run because a hunter came charging in and blew them out.

I’ve also witnessed this many times, but it seems I’ve seen more misses or injured deer than successful hits using this “hold on fur or maybe above fur, or maybe just start letting shots ring out cause I’ll always find another deer if I miss” technique.

I do love hunting the southern coulees. Primarily in 102 and 108 myself, but I’ve never lost a deer or other game because I didn’t have time to dial.
yup there's a blend of you can't kill it if you don't shoot at it, chances you have to take for the time you have, and you can't get better if you don't practice, coyotes is a really good one for that, the game you're pursing in country your pursuing, it's endless and personal, I don't off fur shoot on big game, but I'm pretty quick to get shots off in mpbr, if I'm under them they are gone, there are many who are far more in tune than that and can see better to 400 before needing to break out the computer, I definitely will keep shooting at running coyotes if the first one is off fur though...how else to get better?

do you zero 100 and walk around at that? I'm set up for mpbr and lose opportunities all the time, running deer aren't just because of hunter blowing them out, especially during the rut, I've never heard of many people in our part of the world walking around with 100 yard zeros...only this forum

So you believe in sighters then?
answered above, on coyotes, empty the magazine if you can, on deer, hold assuming mpbr and if that doesn't work it's over, for many they do that better than me including over fur holds without needing rangefinders or extra time to correct calculate...all visual/spatial wiring, we have more of that than we know, we just don't all learn it much

I have only started dialing in t ha last couple of years. I have not missed an opportunity. Last year my wife had a situation where we spooked an elk and it ran to 300yds. It stopped but in the time it took to range and dial and get set up it started moving again. I cannot say it was the dialing that cost us the time but it was part of the equation.

That said, this thread is way to stinky.

Hunters are flat wrong if they hold on fur at extended range and empty the magazine on an unwounded game animal. Or do as you say Stinky and hold on fur when there's no time to be sure about the distance. That's the bravado bs that puts all hunters in a bad light bragging about it on a forum in the public eye. If a hunter is so desperate for meat in the freezer or bragging rights with his buddies, go bowling with them, then go to the grocery store and use money there instead of for ammo, time off of work and equipment.

Could see your point in response to what I said about MPBR earlier, not impressed at this point.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
well after some further thought on this matter, in fact after thinking about it before I got in bed and then perspectiving some more while I was in bed and then while I was trying to get to sleep, and then having a dream about it I think I need to elucidate everyone on some more of the technical particulars that I know y'all have neglected to take into consideration because everyone else is fiddling with their fancy "ffp" illuminated and 20 power scopes when they could instead be focusing on the real deal that is involved with stacking bodies of animals and filling very large, and multiple, freezers (or for those way up north, putting the extras on the porch since it can be cold enough in some spots to not even need a freezer, except in the summer but by then I would have eaten everything anyway because I have a pretty big appetite and I need lots of calories so that I can hunt and post).

MPBR was originally tied to two non-killing pursuits, the first being a bull riding circuit "the masters of professional bull riding" and the second was the pabst blue ribbon served south of the border but then those two companies got into a sorta pissin match and there were some disputes over possible trademarks and product confusion and stuff. anyway both ended and MPBR was born and as we know it and have all agreed in this thread is the way to go, sometimes modified by expanding to HF MPBR (hold fur MPBR) but I digress too much sometimes too and it all depends on your desire to kill vs watching or shooting paper or steel or other forms of inert material that are allowed in competitions or at your range or on your land if you are fortunate enough to own or have access through a friend or relative to enough land that you can shoot at 150 or 250 or other sub 450 or 600 yard (or meters for the more sophisticated) distances without having to worry about a backstop or a new neighborhood with mcmansions that are sitting on 1/4 acre or smaller lots.

long distance hunting is really a misnomer and like the gal on dr phil who wanted to catch me out because everything starts short distance or could be short distance depending on the scenario and your manliness (or womanliness for those of the fairer sex who also like to get into the backcountry and stack whitetails and muleys and moose and elk and coyotes) because are you not going to shoot a 400" elk if he pops up at 25 yards because you have your heart set on shooting one at 651 meters since that's your new longest gong from the competition you just won because your friend goaded you into PRS because he (or she) questioned your capabilities? And other animals are smaller than elk and the same as shooting an elk at distance so if you are shooting chipmunks off your porch with a bb gun are you dialing or holding FMPBR on those critters?

well after some further thought on this matter, in fact after thinking about it before I got in bed and then perspectiving some more while I was in bed and then while I was trying to get to sleep, and then having a dream about it I think I need to elucidate everyone on some more of the technical particulars that I know y'all have neglected to take into consideration because everyone else is fiddling with their fancy "ffp" illuminated and 20 power scopes when they could instead be focusing on the real deal that is involved with stacking bodies of animals and filling very large, and multiple, freezers (or for those way up north, putting the extras on the porch since it can be cold enough in some spots to not even need a freezer, except in the summer but by then I would have eaten everything anyway because I have a pretty big appetite and I need lots of calories so that I can hunt and post).

MPBR was originally tied to two non-killing pursuits, the first being a bull riding circuit "the masters of professional bull riding" and the second was the pabst blue ribbon served south of the border but then those two companies got into a sorta pissin match and there were some disputes over possible trademarks and product confusion and stuff. anyway both ended and MPBR was born and as we know it and have all agreed in this thread is the way to go, sometimes modified by expanding to HF MPBR (hold fur MPBR) but I digress too much sometimes too and it all depends on your desire to kill vs watching or shooting paper or steel or other forms of inert material that are allowed in competitions or at your range or on your land if you are fortunate enough to own or have access through a friend or relative to enough land that you can shoot at 150 or 250 or other sub 450 or 600 yard (or meters for the more sophisticated) distances without having to worry about a backstop or a new neighborhood with mcmansions that are sitting on 1/4 acre or smaller lots.

long distance hunting is really a misnomer and like the gal on dr phil who wanted to catch me out because everything starts short distance or could be short distance depending on the scenario and your manliness (or womanliness for those of the fairer sex who also like to get into the backcountry and stack whitetails and muleys and moose and elk and coyotes) because are you not going to shoot a 400" elk if he pops up at 25 yards because you have your heart set on shooting one at 651 meters since that's your new longest gong from the competition you just won because your friend goaded you into PRS because he (or she) questioned your capabilities? And other animals are smaller than elk and the same as shooting an elk at distance so if you are shooting chipmunks off your porch with a bb gun are you dialing or holding FMPBR on those critters?
So what your saying is I should hunt while riding a Buffalo with an open sight 30-30 mpbr of 300ish while wearing a hard hat that holds a pair of PBRs and hold for hair or on hair or off hair based on a gut feeling?
Its not drinking and hunting is sipping and cruising.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you'd be taller. Kidding. Looks like you're aging just like me...like milk. ;)

But yeah, mule deer, especially rutting bucks, are about as easy and forgiving as it gets. I've got a whole pile of them with a bow and understand them fluently, been photographing them since I was about 12 and understand them intimately. You act like you belong and don't care and you can dang near walk right into the herd, hard to explain but anyway. Whitetails don't walk away. Haven't noticed elk walk away much either. As soon as whitetails they pin you down the clock is ticking very fast, and I mean fast, usually you must spot them before you and just you getting over the pack or settled into sticks is all time you'll get, if they spot you first it's flags and goodbye immediately. They don't walk, you get a few seconds of them processing at best, think coyote, and you get the idea. A lot of whitetails are shot non-stationary, as often the only way to fill a tag.

Helluva deer, strong backs! 190? He'd fit right in with a bunch of mine. ;)

You coulda walked him down another fifty and spudded him with an iron sighted 30-30. Joking, but I might be right lol.
That's my dad in the photo with his buck. Not sure what your "joke" about my height is getting at. Pretty sure height has nothing to do with my question. The question that you still haven't answered, by the way....

My post was just an example of a specific scenario from this year. I didn't say mule deer, whitetails, elk, etc., were exactly the same. That said, elk and whitetails aren't hard to kill without spooking. Maybe our tactics are just different. I'll post another example below from a few years back.

I'm sure you have a house full of 190" deer.... shooting at spooked deer running away is a great way to judge them and kill mature bucks.......

Here's one of those crazy, spooky whitetails. He wouldn't even stand up when I whistled at him, so I decided to just shoot him in the back of the neck at 393 yards. We crawled a long way to get into that position without him knowing.

Macintosh

WKR
If you have such a hang up with speed because you cant shoot a whitetail inside 300 yards—or even 200 yards—without rushing the shot except for a rare situation, you need to learn how to be sneakier. This is coming from a whitetail hunter. The problem sounds like it’s the hunter, not the tool they use.

(Also, Im betting this is where we get a slew of grip and grins to deflect the point)

amassi

WKR
If we can buy a teenager a pair of swaros we can start a thread to crowd fund for stinky coyote to come shoot a nrl hunter match so he can kick everyone’s ass.
I dint think his model 99 in 250 savage will make power factor

Lawnboi

WKR
How quickly shots come to fruition largely depends on where your hunting. I have plenty of shots that happen quickly at 200-250 that I simply hold for because at that range it’s precise enough for me.

I also know my dope for the most part out to 400 without looking at my card. Not hard to do when you shoot enough.

I’d bet a persons time to take a shot is directly related to where and how they hunt.