Does broadhead length affect dynamic spine of an arrow?

vaeVictis

FNG
Question for you archery nerds: does the length of a broadhead (or field point) affect the dynamic spine of the arrow? For example, a 2" SEVER is significantly longer than a QAD Exodus or a Fieldpoint. Since the overall length of the entire arrow is now different, would this tune differently? Or is it only the carbon to carbon length that matters because that is what is flexing.

MattB

WKR
Question for you archery nerds: does the length of a broadhead (or field point) affect the dynamic spine of the arrow? For example, a 2" SEVER is significantly longer than a QAD Exodus or a Fieldpoint. Since the overall length of the entire arrow is now different, would this tune differently? Or is it only the carbon to carbon length that matters because that is what is flexing.
Yes

Zac

WKR
Gillingham talks about this alot. That's why he use to use those Bear match points. The whole point of blade over shaft technology with the Exodus was to combat that issue.

Beendare

WKR
Mighty mouse and Matt are correct.

I’ve really seen it with trad bows…where exact spine is critical to bareshaft and BH tuning. The additional length made BHs shoot weak.

Compound wise in my experience,
we never want to be underspined …but over spined tunes well and makes for a more durable hunt arrow- a win win…so I’ve always shot a spine size over in a compound and any extra length of the BH doesn’t affect BH tune.

Rob5589

WKR
No, that wasn’t the question. Broadhead length affects dynamic spine.
I was referring to his question whether it would affect tune. I've never seen it personally, was just curious of you had.

Rob5589

WKR
Due to the BH being a wing on the front of the arrow more so than change of center of mass.
I can see that. Although I find when properly tuned, true spinning arrow with bh, no need to make any changes. I did find when using some large bladed heads many years ago that they would drop a bit faster needing some sight adjustment. That was really beyond 50+ which I didn't do.

MattB

WKR
I was referring to his question whether it would affect tune. I've never seen it personally, was just curious of you had.
I have not personally, but I also shoot shafts on the stiffer side (as well as drop-aways and a release) so I have some leeway.