Does anyone eat coyote regularly

I'm curious if there's anyone here that eats coyote regularly. I would not think so.

But if you do, how much do you eat every year and what's your favorite way to cook it?

I've never heard of anybody eating the smelly buggers. However, I'd never heard of people eating moutain lion either before today, so I could be missing out!

hobbes

WKR
Eating coyote?? Really?

Years ago, one of my teachers got the whole class to try jerky and asked us to guess what it was. While everyone was chewing away, I said "coyote" like I knew what I was talking about. I think half the class gagged and started spitting it out. :) It was goose.

I'm not eating coyote if I kill 100 of them.

OP
H
I know there's been threads about people trying, etc. And the reaction was if course the same!

I had never really thought about trying it before, when I went yote hunting occasionally, but haven't been in a long time. Next time I go, if I get one, I'll try it. I'll just make sure to cook it extremely well.

I was just wondering if there's anyone here that happens to eat em regularly. I'm not sure why a big game hunter that is avid enough to participate on rokslide actually would do such a thing, but there are certainly weirdos on here from time to time.

Erict

WKR
Never met anyone who's tried it.

Have skinned plenty of yotes. The smell/odor/scent of the meat is just plain unpleasant. Fox not much better. If it were more neutral I'd probably be willing to try brine/overnight soak and some good marinade. Survival food at best for me.🍟

packer58

WKR
I thought i caught a Steve Rienell episode where he tried cooking one over an open fire ...... I also thought he said he'd never do that again and he's pretty much got a cast iron gut ...... Iv'e skinned my fair share of coyotes over the years and tossed the carcasses, they will be there a long time before anything touches them if at all ....

I thought i caught a Steve Rienell episode where he tried cooking one over an open fire ...... I also thought he said he'd never do that again and he's pretty much got a cast iron gut ...... Iv'e skinned my fair share of coyotes over the years and tossed the carcasses, they will be there a long time before anything touches them if at all ....

I think I saw that one too. If I remember right he said he’d eat it if you slow cooked it and smothered it in barbecue sauce for pulled pork style sandwiches but other than that he’d had his fill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possum or buzzard buffet!

You're missing out on the cat. It's good meat. Never had coyote though.
If I ever see one of the wanderers that pass through this part of Iowa every so often, I will try to kill it and eat it. No regs. on mountain lions in IA.

That being said, we do have bobcat trapping season in IA. Anybody tried eating one of them?

hobbes

WKR
I've a buddy that runs lion hounds and he's eaten a lot of mountain lion. My understanding is it's a long the lines of pork. I'd be willing to try it, but I'm not trying coyote or wolf unless I'm starving. I've smelled way too many coyotes to even consider eating it.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
If I ever see one of the wanderers that pass through this part of Iowa every so often, I will try to kill it and eat it. No regs. on mountain lions in IA.

That being said, we do have bobcat trapping season in IA. Anybody tried eating one of them?
Yes, Bobcat back strap. It was good kinda like a pork, chicken cross type of taste.

I've read/heard nothing but good about Mountain lion meat.
In the old book "The Education of a bear hunter" (by Ralph Flowers, Winchester press 1975) the guy was a bear trapper for the forest service in Washington if I remember correctly, trapping hundreds of bear a year and the occasional lion. In the book every time he got a lion he was very excited. That book was a
"Can't put down" Read it in high school in the 80s, have wanted to try mountain lion ever since.

Last edited: