Do you regret getting your suppressor?

So you still have to wear hearing protection to prevent hearing loss with a can, correct? I just don’t see the point if I have to wear hearing protection either way. Just run a brake and use hearing protection. Save you some weight and barrel length.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If a person is hunting from a blind, off a machine (ATV/UTV, truck, boat, etc), or walking very short distances……then, yes, a suppressor is worth considering.
If the weight of a suppressor limits what you can do, you should probably hit the gym or get into a different hobby.

I mean seriously, most of them weigh less than a pound.

Sled

WKR
So you still have to wear hearing protection to prevent hearing loss with a can, correct? I just don’t see the point if I have to wear hearing protection either way. Just run a brake and use hearing protection. Save you some weight and barrel length.

You can wear ear protection and most do. It's still a loud noise but most are hearing safe and close to or under 130db. On a 22lr subs or pistol they're real quiet.

You can wear ear protection and most do. It's still a loud noise but most are hearing safe and close to or under 130db. On a 22lr subs or pistol they're real quiet.
From everything I have read they are not hearing safe, I think that is a popular misconception when it comes to suppressors on center fire rifles.

If the weight of a suppressor limits what you can do, you should probably hit the gym or get into a different hobby.

I mean seriously, most of them weigh less than a pound.
But guys will spend big money trying to get an ultralight rifle and shave ounces…same could be said about that as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
But guys will spend big money trying to get an ultralight rifle and shave ounces…same could be said about that as well.
Oh I agree completely. I think the gun is probably the most overthought piece of hunting equipment there is. I’ve never killed an animal that couldn’t be killed with a cheap rifle. All of the elk I ever shot for a 15+ year period was with a Remington 700 adl 270 that had the finish completely worn off of it and a fixed 4x Bushnell scope.

When I was younger, I worked in a bike shop, I’d see overweight guys come in all the time and want me to weigh bicycles for them the. They would scoff when a bike was 1/2 a pound more than another.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
From everything I have read they are not hearing safe, I think that is a popular misconception when it comes to suppressors on center fire rifles.
I think the duration of exposure matters. One shot at 130db is probably not bad, being exposed to 130db without hearing protection for hours like working in a factory would be worse.

Antares

WKR
I regret not buying a really high-end can. Definitely should have gone the buy once, cry once approach given the wait time and tax stamp cost.

I have a GEMTECH Tracker, but now I want a CGS or TBAC and it's tough to justify since the Tracker works fine and I have $800 sunk into it.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I regret not buying a really high-end can. Definitely should have gone the buy once, cry once approach given the wait time and tax stamp cost.

I have a GEMTECH Tracker, but now I want a CGS or TBAC and it's tough to justify since the Tracker works fine and I have $800 sunk into it.
I have been looking and leaning towards the CGS Hyperion K after reading really good things about it on here.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

That is incorrect. There are plenty of true hearing safe for infrequent noises (hunting), and a few totally hearing safe cans on the market for bolt guns. Most of what is “knowledge” about cans comes from the AR world. Port noise/port pop is a thing with them that makes them hard to be truly hearing safe. Nothing to do with bolt guns.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
That is incorrect. There are plenty of true hearing safe for infrequent noises (hunting), and a few totally hearing safe cans on the market for bolt guns. Most of what is “knowledge” about cans comes from the AR world. Port noise/port pop is a thing with them that makes them hard to be truly hearing safe. Nothing to do with bolt guns.
What would be some examples of safe ones for infrequent noises and examples of totally hearing safe ones?

Antares

WKR
Hey @Formidilosus, I know you like the CGS cans. Can you help me understand what the main benefits of going from a lower/mid-range (can like my Tracker) to a can like a Hyperion K? Is it mostly just weight and size? I know the Tracker isn't rated for more than 10 shots without cooling to ambient temp, but I don't really care about that. Thanks!

Have a tbac ultra 7 I use on a 22" 270 and 24" 300wm. Just took an elk with the 300 with a buddy standing beside me. One of his first reactions was how cool the shot was, he was prepared for a muzzle blast and ear ringing but there was nothing. The added length is a minor consideration in the woods but I didn't have any issues with it. It's feather light.

I'm proactive with earpro but before this hunt I put about 11 rounds through the 300 target shooting with absolutely no ear ringing or fatigue of any kind. My guess is they are hearing safe but I'd still plan on wearing earpro.

Do your research, buy the best can for your situation the first time. I have a DA sandman S I should get any time now for my AR rifles. Can't wait to see how that compares to the ultra.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What would be some examples of safe ones for infrequent noises and examples of totally hearing safe ones?

Hyperion K (infrequent), Hyperion for some rifles (real hearing safe). It’s all relative though, you should be wearing ear pro when shooting at the range or when shooting more than a few shots hunting. Suppressors just make it where when hunting, ear pro isn’t necessary.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hey @Formidilosus, I know you like the CGS cans. Can you help me understand what the main benefits of going from a lower/mid-range (can like my Tracker) to a can like a Hyperion K? Is it mostly just weight and size? I know the Tracker isn't rated for more than 10 shots without cooling to ambient temp, but I don't really care about that. Thanks!

They’re probably a bit quieter, and light/shorter for example. Also tend to be more durable. However, I’d take two decent cans over one great can.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
They’re probably a bit quieter, and light/shorter for example. Also tend to be more durable. However, I’d take two decent cans over one great can.
I kinda gather that the Hyperions are a “great”can. What would be some “decent” cans?

Never owned one. I am waiting until they just make them legal and then I will buy on from Amazon prime.....lol