do you mix and match camo, or always wear a set?

sk1

WKR
i've been looking into new camo lately, and it seems sitka has the most complete set as far as various options.....i usually try to wear at least the pants and top as a set, and mix and match gloves/hats if necessary..

i really looked hard at the kuiu attack pants because everyone seems to love them, but i dont really like their lack of options for shirts and what not, and it would look pretty strange wearing oh say a mountain mimicry top with vilas camo bottoms. i also have been seriously considering trying core4element camo, but their tops are limited as well it seems...unless i find another brand of mountain mimicry camo for more options.

so lets hear it, do you guys mix it all up? or try to keep a set camo theme

JG358

WKR
Mix and match for me. Critters dont care what pattern your wearing or if your top maches you pants.

dotman

WKR
I used to but now I have moved to only drab solid colors. I like to use my expensive stuff for more then hunting and really am not a big camo fan.

Last edited:
OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i realize animals dont care if you mix and match, but at the same time i like it to be somewhat similar, a habit i might need to break in order to get the things i really want to wear.....thats why i wanted to see what everyone else does

sneek-ee

WKR
From your original post, about Kuiu not having "enough" options in shirts. They have the merino in 185 and 250, then the spindrift and guide and chugach if it rains. I dont know what they are missing for top options or something you'd want or need more than what they offer... 185 if its early season and hot. 250 over top if it starts to cool down or even wear it alone if 185 is not heavy enough. then throw the guide jacket over that or chugach.....

But with your question, its personal preference. I like kuiu and vias, but i aslo like ASAT camo. so sometimes i'll mix my first lite stuff and vias...

littlebuf

Banned
i wear MM sitka and black.MM seems to blend in with everything even in spring and summer and Jim shockey is always wearing black and looking oh so cool.so thats why i do

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will mix and match as to what feels lucky that day. New kuiu, some sitka and maybe some old school military cotton patterns and clothing...during archery season I wear it all...

BuckSnort

WKR
Camo is not as important to me as much as it used to be..Now I find myself more concerned about the material itself and what it's made out of.. As long as they are neutral natural colors I'm happy...

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
From your original post, about Kuiu not having "enough" options in shirts. They have the merino in 185 and 250, then the spindrift and guide and chugach if it rains. I dont know what they are missing for top options or something you'd want or need more than what they offer... 185 if its early season and hot. 250 over top if it starts to cool down or even wear it alone if 185 is not heavy enough. then throw the guide jacket over that or chugach.....

But with your question, its personal preference. I like kuiu and vias, but i aslo like ASAT camo. so sometimes i'll mix my first lite stuff and vias...

well maybe part of the problem is i might not be as educated as i need to be.....that 185 top sure looks awful hot to me for warm mid afternoons....im new to the idea of merino wool and have extremely lightweight synthetic tshirt / long sleeve shirt available as options before using more of a crew neck type zip shirt....that's why i had felt like some options were missing.....maybe i just need to pony up and get a 185 to find out if it will be too warm for me or not.....so i take it that is your base layer on colder days or the only layer on a warm one

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't care what camo I am wearing to be truthful. The two most important things to me are that it fits well and functions the way it is supposed to.

sneek-ee

WKR
sk1- i don't always wear the kuiu 185 top... but i'm saying you could. End of August, early Sept it does awesome. To tell you the truth, I don't love the little collars they put on the 185 shirts.. my favorite early season top is first lite's llano, because it doesn't have that little high neck collar. They also have a new short sleeve llano this year that will be awesome for early season!
As far as merino goes, try it. it's good stuff and works awesome. keeps ya relatively cool in early season. wicks moisture, helps with odor, and i think its super coumfy compared to some synthetics and any cotton. Like people have stated, dont worry so much about the camo.. there are a ton of companies that make good merino stuff. see what fits good and feels good for you!

B

bearguide

i think it is an advantage to wear different top and bottom. i believe it breaks up your pattern more than one camo type

cmeier117

WKR
I look so odd out their with my mix match camo that animals think, "There is no way that joker is a threat to me, he can't even match his pants and jacket!" And that is exactly what I want them to think. ;) But seriously I mix and match...

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks like im in the minority here. I like to match :) All kuiu this year for me, though i may throw in my sitka merino top from time to time. Not a big deal as far as camo goes i think, but i like to match

I match sometimes. When I deer hunt I never match, I'll wear max 4 and predator in a treestand. When elk hunting I sometimes match, most my gear is kuiu, I have a couple of sitka pieces and I have AP rain gear.

weaver

WKR
Mix and match. Last year i bought a lot of Russell for half price so MO Treestand is the main pattern i wear. I wear an Asat leafy suit sometimes when deer and turkey hunting.

mplane72

FNG
Mix and match. I buy what I can when it's on sale. I like quality stuff and getting the right price means not always getting the same camo. My wife also hates it when i dress the kids.