Do you hunt to fill the freezer?

Sharppse

FNG
Hunt because I love to hunt. Meat is a bonus, but in today's word it will be hunt to fill frezers to eat

hunterjmj

WKR
Definitely hunt for the meat except for mule deer. I hunt mule deer for a week every year because I like to hunt them for the challenge and it's just fun. Antelope, cow elk and antlerless deer we hunt for the meat. It's all fun but the meat is important. Our family can put away 2 elk, a deer and an antelope each year so it's definitely needed.

Rich M

WKR
I think most of us say yes. Well what happens when you do fill the freezer. Is your season over? Or do you buy another one? What happens when you have enough meat for your family? I guess what I’m asking…do you ever stop hunting because you’ve killed too many critters?
Yes.

Wife decided she liked organic cow meat over venison and I have limited room in our freezers. So pretty much hunt for 1 deer as opposed to putting 200#+ of meat up for the year. No elk around here.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
still tons of people not answering the question that OP asked.

"I think most of us say yes. Well what happens when you do fill the freezer. Is your season over? Or do you buy another one? What happens when you have enough meat for your family? I guess what I’m asking…do you ever stop hunting because you’ve killed too much shit?"

svivian

WKR
I hunt to fill the freezer and once thats full i start filling my moms freezer. She is 70 now and enjoys eating it and not having to pay for meat is huge when you are on a fixed income. Also there are no guarantees you'll fill it the next year so i think its ok to have a little excess from time to time.

With my family of six, my four kids can eat as much or more than me, and I have a healthy appetite. Three freezers, ideally a nice sized bull moose and a cow/forkie moose would be perfect for the whole year. We pressure-can any left over by the next hunting season and its usually less than a flat of quart jars if there is any to can at all. Yes, we stop shooting shit if the freezers are full. I love to hunt and I love racks but I wouldn't feel right about letting another one of my family members smoke a big ol' bull I know is going to just be given away or freezer-burn in my possession.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt for the fun and the meat so when the freezer is full I get really selective on what I shoot and then fill my parents freezer. If I am out freezer space between me and my parents I'll only shoot a monster and then I'll donate the meat to hunters for the hungry. I've never had to do this but I wouldn't quit hunting.

2gawddsm

FNG
I do now that I have kids and one loves to eat anything he can get his hands on. Prior to kids I was trophy hunting only.

SBR Sarge

FNG
Yes, to fill the freezer. But also…

…because I love the hunt and, yes, the final culmination of the kill.

…because I like venison from my own property over store bought meat from God only knows where, raised with God only knows hormones, in God awful conditions.

still tons of people not answering the question that OP asked.

"I think most of us say yes. Well what happens when you do fill the freezer. Is your season over? Or do you buy another one? What happens when you have enough meat for your family? I guess what I’m asking…do you ever stop hunting because you’ve killed too much shit?"
I quit pulling the trigger, but still go camp and scout because you only get so many fall's. I have two elk tags this year, and just put one cow in the freezer. I still have a good bit of 2021 elk in the freezer. I live alone, and share elk with my elderly parents. My deer tag is looking like it will go unfilled. My second elk tag is almost a guarantee since I have many years of experience in the unit. However, right now I will let this tag go unfilled because I do not need the meat, and will be tight on freezer space. I paid $400 for this second tag but that does not make me want to kill more than I need for the year. I'm not into donating meat either. I would rather have that elk on the landscape. Just my 2 cents.

…because I like venison from my own property over store bought meat from God only knows where, raised with God only knows hormones, in God awful conditions.
It's OK to prefer venison, but no need to put down the agriculture industry. The US has the safest, most humane, and most efficient animal protein industry in the world. It's a privilege to have access to that industry. If you have questions, just ask. I can tell you exactly how that meat was produced.

seww

WKR
I saw that WWE woman wrestler or whatever respond back at PETA saying that it was because of them she started hunting :) PETA went undercover and exposed the terror at some ranches and how the animals were treated so she preferred hunting. So kudos to PETA.

My goal with hunting is to fill the freezer. I love game meat but I also love being in the outdoors. I'm not a good hunter, I have no patience. But I liked to hike and if an animal presents the opportunity, I'm more than willing to take it.

Bodough

FNG
I think most of us say yes. Well what happens when you do fill the freezer. Is your season over? Or do you buy another one? What happens when you have enough meat for your family? I guess what I’m asking…do you ever stop hunting because you’ve killed too much shit?
You can always take a season off to help others fill tags, if I have too much meat that’s what I would do. Also donate meat to less fortunate

I plan on being unsuccessful. It helps that we raise cattle so there's always a beef for the freezer. My wife loves elk but i'm not a good enough elk hunter to make that happen. If the freezer got to the point of being full, I would buy another freezer before I would stop hunting.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Hunting hyper wary, public land whitetails with long seasons makes it hard
to kill more than I can use.
The most I've killed in one season is 4, and that was all eaten by the next season.
The limit now is down to 3 bucks so no worries of having too much venison.
Muzzleloader season starts in a few weeks!!!

go_deep

WKR
We shut it down as soon as we have enough meat for the freezer to make it to next year.

Dalton138

FNG
I think most of us say yes. Well what happens when you do fill the freezer. Is your season over? Or do you buy another one? What happens when you have enough meat for your family? I guess what I’m asking…do you ever stop hunting because you’ve killed too much shit?
I've never had that issue as I'm brand new to all of this, but I personally would probably keep hunting and give the meat to my mom or a couple of my friends.