Do you hunt to fill the freezer?

Broomd

WKR
Interesting take on things.
I'd imagine that if they can legally acquire the tags then it shouldn't be much of an issue? If all the meat sits in a freezer for a decade and potentially spoils I can see how it would be a waste but if they have the capacity to process and store all of the meat properly, what's the difference between that and someone in a southern state shooting huge numbers of deer and pigs?
Not having a go. Genuinely curious.
My wife and I bought half a side of beef a year or two ago and it's amazing how quick you can go through that amount of meat when you are cooking for lots of friends/family and giving a heap away as gifts. A gift of wild game is appreciated by everyone we know and that is another reason that sees us killing a huge number of animals.
I get that and appreciate your take on it.
When I think of the buddy hunt, the husband and wife moose kills it isn't a problem with me. Hey they drew buddy tags, it happens. But both of them killing cow elk just seems wrong--not legally of course--just ethically.
I see guys with families to feed out there elk hunting trying to put meat in the freezer and then there is that couple with two cow elk, potential calving stock, frozen way with two big bull moose--all in the same season.

Just seems greedy-assed to me, just my opinion.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I *fish* to fill the freezer. Can't have enough salmon or halibut, because there's always family and neighbors that can eat more. I have a 21 cu.ft freezer dedicated just for fish. If it gets full, boxes go to family. They don't have access to wild fish like I do. This year I'm about 30-50 salmon short of being able to spread much to my family and it sucks. I mistimed two fishing trips to the salmon run, caught 6 when I was hoping for dozens.

I hunt for time in the wilderness and red meat for my household. Last year the two of us ate 1.5 caribou and a blacktail deer. The year before we ate most of a young moose. I wouldn't kill more than that.

So, yes, I stop hunting big game when I have enough meat.

We hunt birds to work with dogs. Every bird hunt is calorie negative :ROFLMAO:, it takes more lbs of fish/caribou to fuel a bird hunt than we get back in bird meat.

DeBear

FNG
Obviously the meat is one reason, but for me it’s about enjoying nature and time with friends

Mosby

WKR
With the current prices of groceries, I am meat hunting this year. I plan on getting at least 2 deer and a boat load of birds to fill our freezer.

I buy more freezers. LOL! Currently have 3 chests in the garage...one with moose, one with elk and one with bison.

Today is elk taco Sunday.

elktaco.gif

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt to fill mine and anyone else's freezer.... why my state let's anyone shoot 11 does is beyond me. But whatever, ill get practice in.

We're doing an elk Sunday roast tonight with yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes and gravy. Friday night was back straps, baked potato and salad. Tomorrow is tacos. Trying to eat it as fast as we kill it can be a lot of fun and very healthy.

I hunt because I love being in the outdoors and the meat is awesome! I also have enough family/friends that I can share meat with to never worry about having too much.

drra

FNG
I was taking advantage of the liberal deer hunting tags in SD to fill my smoker (as well as my frezzer) until I was diagnosed with hemachromatosis. Still take advantage of every harvest to make some very tasty meat treats - the meat trray is a big hit over the holidays.

For me, I guess it’s a little bit of both, but my main concern is filling the freezer and continuing to feed my family wild fish and game. We have been fortunate enough to have been able to raise both our kids off of fish and game (oldest is now 19 and our youngest will be 15 next month), and I wouldn’t have it any other way. We’ve never killed any really big trophies, but we’ve always been able to keep our freezers well stocked, and on occasion we’ve also been able to helped out our friends and neighbors. I really enjoy hunting and fishing and bringing my kids up to also enjoy it, but raising my family off wild fish and game is for sure the bigger accomplishment IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I hunt because I love it. The meat is definitely a bonus.

Wild game is the majority of the meat we eat. If I have meat left at the beginning of hunting season I usually pressure can it.

Heath423

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mind helping people who at least work hard. In my experience the guys with boats and tools at their disposal who don’t do shit are the first ones to ask for moose meat.
Not that type of family/people. I talking about close family friends who work hard, raising their kids properly by loving and serving others as they can, but do not hunt. Myself and the kids grandfather are try taking the boys when we can to expose them to hunting in which they are interested.

Kinda, I hunt because I love to hunt. The meat is a nice added benefit. I always kill a few does not just for the meat, but because I enjoy hunting them.

Once the freezer is well stocked I normally focus on bucks.

Foxsoup

FNG
Filling the freezer is the goal each year, but being out in nature is the reason I hunt.

If my freezer is over stocked prior to hunting season I’ll make a bunch of jerky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. It’s just a by product and we enjoy the meat. I hunt for the adventure, challenge and just the fact it’s in my DNA. But if it was only for the food I’d buy a half or whole beef. Because it’s cheaper when you factor everything in.

Azone

WKR
Freezer filling is at the top of the list. Something about eating something you stalked, killed and processed on your own has always been satisfying since I was a kid. Eating meat that has been gifted just never hits the same for me.

Wadziwab

FNG
that must be a "fun" problem to have. I really only get out for 1 week a year and 3 of us here at home to eat. So success just means buying less stuff from the store for the year. Maybe when the son gets big enough to hunt we could truly fill the freezer. Though if that happens shouldn't be too hard to convince the wife to get a bigger freezer.