Do you hit your dog ?

TheGDog

WKR
I have two young, well-behaved children who are polite, kind and respectful, all without EVER having to get physical. Imagine that.
Yes.. I can imagine that. We have ALL experienced quite an array of different personality types in this life, Yes? So stands to reason some folks might just happen to be born a little more headstrong than others, that's all.

I’d have just laughed in her pretentious face. People are so soft and opinionated it’s ridiculous. Took our Brittany to a dog park once against my better judgement cause my wife thought it would be fun. We left after 5 minutes as it was crawling with these types.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the dog. My current dog is so obsessed with food that there has never been a need to touch him. Trained him early with food and that's all that was needed.

TheGDog

WKR
Wait until they’re older and start to feel the need to do as they please. Have fun brother you’re in for a ride!
My boy is 15yo now and has started to occasionally show 'tude at me, in very subtle ways. So I've been QUICK to check him on that sh!t. 'Cause bump that Papa don't Play!

If you are consistent and strict in what you don't allow... well... what I think a lot of parents forget is.... it won't be long before they will be grown and become significantly stronger than you NOW are. So it's IMPERATIVE that you get that mental control and respect locked in there STRONG now, while you can.

Also it's a great for them because it shows and models for them how you don't allow people to disrespect you. And more importantly the follow up discussions afterward as to WHY it's soo important that they learn how to control and moderate their outward displays of displeasure. You think some Boss or Professor or a Cop is gonna put up with that mess?

J_Cali209

FNG
It definitely depends on the dog. Some respond well to a good old fashioned beating and some need to be handled like the sensitive people in 2023. Its up to a trainer to determine if its good or bad to hit their dog. If your dog has a positive response to physical punishment, and you get the desired behavior, then it is totally ok assuming you are using common sense and being as clear as possible when communicating the desired behavior to your dog.

I train cow dogs and upland bird dogs. Currently, my best cow dog is very "skiddish" and hitting him would be useless. My Brittany that I have been hunting over for the past 2 years is a different story. He needs to be whipped every once in a while to stay focused. Doesnt matter how hard I hit him, he is always ready to work and be a friend.

Disclaimer: My Brittany is a very good dog and rarely, if ever gets hit. But when I was training him physical punishment is what he responded to best. Different tactics for different dogs

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Never have to hit my lab. Just yelling or looking at him gets his attentio. Although once he starts chasing a rabbit I just have to wait until he’s done😊

Wellsdw

WKR
Sometimes but rarely because timing everything, and more described as a
Pop, light strike loud noise. But don’t consider it as a “method”. Also depends on dog a Breed. My malinois is trained on balanced system trust, reward, verbal corrections, physical correction (pinch, e-collar) and praise.

However, some alpha males, usually ones in tact, will decide to “go for the title”. My 140lb Great Pyrenees decided he was ready for the title and you can bet your ass things got physical, real physical. That was not a training moment that a dominance thing. Hasn’t been hit since. Hasn’t challenged me. Warning though this can be extremely dangerous

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpeg
    IMG_1522.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 40
  • fc07fdcd-18d7-45b8-8448-b0900125961e.jpeg
    fc07fdcd-18d7-45b8-8448-b0900125961e.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 40
yes.. Generally a stern talking to will get him to do what I want but he occasionally gets a swat with the leash.

My dog is very very hard headed ... and very smart

Weldor

WKR
I have Greyhounds, They are smart. Don't respond well to harsh training. I go easy and consistant seems to work for them. And boy they sure can run a coyote.

MattB

WKR
I was cruising around downtown Calgary the other night and had to stop at a red light. Across the street from me was a 30ish guy and his dog. He was using the red light as an opportunity to train his dog to sit. I waited for the light to turn green, walked across the street, and passed him just as he asked his dog to “sit” for the 13th time without raising his voice or giving any form of physical correction. Had to laugh as he didn’t realize that, after the second time the dog ignored him, that the dog was training him.

bmrfish

WKR
Short answer is no. That is not the relationship I want with my friends. Better ways to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdzoller

WKR
Sometimes but rarely because timing everything, and more described as a
Pop, light strike loud noise. But don’t consider it as a “method”. Also depends on dog a Breed. My malinois is trained on balanced system trust, reward, verbal corrections, physical correction (pinch, e-collar) and praise.

However, some alpha males, usually ones in tact, will decide to “go for the title”. My 140lb Great Pyrenees decided he was ready for the title and you can bet your ass things got physical, real physical. That was not a training moment that a dominance thing. Hasn’t been hit since. Hasn’t challenged me. Warning though this can be extremely dangerous
About two months ago my American Bulldog pup got into it with a neighbor’s wandering Kangal pup on my front porch. Came outside to see what was happening and saw my dog with the intruders head in his mouth, giving him a good shaking. The neighbor dog got free and ran for dear life. Problem was that my dog got a little big for himself afterwards and he decided to “go for the title lol”. Definitely not a training issue but a reality of male animals doing male animal things. We are best friends though and it didn’t take long for him to figure things out.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I hit him a couple times a year, with the golf cart. You'd think he would stop trying to bite the tires and cut in front of me, but whatever...Maybe he just wants to die... who am I to judge.

S.Clancy

WKR
I think it all depends on the dog and knowing them well.

Wild dogs (wolves, coyotes, whatever) certainly use physical methods when training pups, I don't see why a human can't.

EvanG17

FNG
I put a small whooping on my dog when needed. Same with the kids asses. I don't need a bunch of confused genders and people walking around my house. I run a tight ship all the way around. Judge if you want to

Only when I have owned intact male stud dogs - they will dominance challenge you and that is a genuine fight and you better win. Problem is you need to win without injuring them but win enough to where they think twice about challenging you again.

My Lab is 120pds now - neutered earlier this year because of a tumor but when he was intact his weight was a very muscular 95 pds and that is a powerful dog.