Do you have experience with a sled for hauling out game?

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I have a middle of November elk tag in Colorado in a unit that very well could get some snow. Peak elevations are in the 13,000 feet in the unit. I am wanting to get feedback from people that have used some sort of sled to haul out meat. This unit is new to me so I can't exactly describe the vegetation or terrain but I am pretty confident that I will be hauling the meat down hill. Obviously there will be ups and downs for the literal folks but overall I expect to be loosing elevation. I would plan to just pack out the elk if there isn't snow but if there is a layer of snow what can you tell me about the use of either one of these two types of sleds?

1. Do you mainly just use it for a flat surface or down hill? How is it pulling up a hill compared to carrying it out in the snow?
2. How well do they actually work? I see pictures of guys with whole elk.
3. When going down hill can you basically guide it down the mountain from behind?
4. Any issues with either of these options braking or giving out on a single pack out over mostly snow?
5. Any good suggestions on how to use them? It appears some guys tie directly to the sled and others to the meat in the sled.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

1729191264343.png

1729191120328.png

Kenn

WKR
I've used sleds and they help a lot but those roll up plastic ones are garbage unless you happen to shoot your elk on a football field. The first little hump will roll the sled and you'll have to right it, then tie the elk back on. My grandson and I pulled out a quartered big bull on a heavy duty sled last year, but it was only about 200 yards and downhill. The slightest incline was extremely difficult.

Edit: This was on dry ground - no snow or ice.

Last edited:
OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I've used sleds and they help a lot but those roll up plastic ones are garbage unless you happen to shoot your elk on a football field. The first little hump will roll the sled and you'll have to right it, then tie the elk back on. My grandson and I pulled out a quartered big bull on a heavy duty sled last year, but it was only about 200 yards and downhill. The slightest incline was extremely difficult.
Thanks! Good to know the incline might not be much of an option. If you are going further maybe load your packs and put them in the sled and when you get to an incline put the pack on? You think that would be a valid option?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I agree. The flat roll up versions don't work very well. I use a plastic kids sled similar to the second one you posted and it works very well. I keep one at my place in MO to haul out whitetail carcasses, either whole or halved.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not a sled guy, but all through high school we had a number of sleds of all shapes and sizes we’d pull behind snow machines for fun in all kinds of terrain. The bigger the sled, the easier it pulls on flat ground, and the better it tracks. A flat bottomed sled like the roll up ones, will always drag you straight down hill, if you wanted to go that way or not - they don’t track straight at all and might as well be a saucer sled. Often in big open areas going straight down gets you in the willows/brush and creek bottoms, not where you normally want to be. In the trees no sled is worth the hassle.

Rigid sleds are not quiet.

I’ve tried to think of any place I’ve ever hunted in the snow where a sled would have been nice and there have been a few open faces, but those are also the easiest to walk down. Late season cow tag areas around Jackson have some flat benches that always hold a lot of elk and are rather open - a lot of guys grab a few buddies and drag them to the road - wouldn’t surprise me if a number of sleds are used every year, but I haven’t seen it.

Maybe it’s the lack of snow, or too many rocks, trees, ups and downs, but I can’t recall actually seeing a sled in use anywhere in Wyoming during a hunting season.

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a sled guy, but all through high school we had a number of sleds of all shapes and sizes we’d pull behind snow machines for fun in all kinds of terrain. The bigger the sled, the easier it pulls on flat ground, and the better it tracks. A flat bottomed sled like the roll up ones, will always drag you straight down hill, if you wanted to go that way or not - they don’t track straight at all and might as well be a saucer sled. Often in big open areas going straight down gets you in the willows/brush and creek bottoms, not where you normally want to be. In the trees no sled is worth the hassle.

Rigid sleds are not quiet.

I’ve tried to think of any place I’ve ever hunted in the snow where a sled would have been nice and there have been a few open faces, but those are also the easiest to walk down. Late season cow tag areas around Jackson have some flat benches that always hold a lot of elk and are rather open - a lot of guys grab a few buddies and drag them to the road - wouldn’t surprise me if a number of sleds are used every year, but I haven’t seen it.

Maybe it’s the lack of snow, or too many rocks, trees, ups and downs, but I can’t recall actually seeing a sled in use anywhere in Wyoming during a hunting season.
I haven't done much of the late season mountain hunting. It is good to hear the perspective of somebody specially speaking to this type of terrain with snow. What I do know from my little experience is that snow can make it significantly harder to carry out an elk.

TheViking

WKR
I've used a kids sled before, it works pretty good. In mountaineous terrain you're always on a hill, so you need to either drag it uphill, or prevent it from hauling ass downhill/sidehill. Going over logs/deadfall sucks, you need to pick it up (which is akward), or go around. They have their pros and cons like everything.

TaperPin

WKR
I haven't done much of the late season mountain hunting. It is good to hear the perspective of somebody specially speaking to this type of terrain with snow. What I do know from my little experience is that snow can make it significantly harder to carry out an elk
I hope you try it. One of the best late season pieces of equipment are a pair of crampons. SMC is out of business, but they were the go-to brand for medium duty hinged crampons that fit normal hiking boots well. It cuts way down on the effort required to go up or down steep snowy slopes and with less slipping it’s safer. They also work great on slimy mud slopes that are had to walk up.

The main downside is weight - a couple pounds is a couple pounds. You also will have a hard time being bored hunting with a partner who doesn’t have them and is on the struggle bus.

The biggest danger, which is only a problem if you push onto super steep slopes, is you can walk up stuff so steep that if you slip, you’ll rush down the slope at high speed until a rock or tree catches you.

I’ve been hunting timberline after an early heavy snow when everyone else was headed down - even the outfitter nearby was taking his people out - literally had the mountain to myself. I couldn’t have done it, or packed the elk out without the crampons.IMG_0042.jpeg

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you try it. One of the best late season pieces of equipment are a pair of crampons. SMC is out of business, but they were the go-to brand for medium duty hinged crampons that fit normal hiking boots well. It cuts way down on the effort required to go up or down steep snowy slopes and with less slipping it’s safer. They also work great on slimy mud slopes that are had to walk up.

The main downside is weight - a couple pounds is a couple pounds. You also will have a hard time being bored hunting with a partner who doesn’t have them and is on the struggle bus.

The biggest danger, which is only a problem if you push onto super steep slopes, is you can walk up stuff so steep that if you slip, you’ll rush down the slope at high speed until a rock or tree catches you.

I’ve been hunting timberline after an early heavy snow when everyone else was headed down - even the outfitter nearby was taking his people out - literally had the mountain to myself. I couldn’t have done it, or packed the elk out without the crampons.View attachment 778415
I bought a pair like these. They better than nothing or the more aggressive spikes really worth it?

1729198147063.png

I bought a pair like these. They better than nothing or the more aggressive spikes really worth it?

View attachment 778418
Different tools.

Crampons are four wheel drive with v-bar chains.

Microspikes are AWD with cables.

The microspikes are pretty useless in very deep snow, but they work great on ice or frozen soil.

Crampons are beefier, heavier, and are pretty much unstoppable in most conditions.

fishslap

WKR
The rolled up sleds work well IMO. I shot a cow down in a basin and packed the meat up to the rim in a few trips then sledded out the whole quartered animal a few miles downhill or flat. I like how the flexible sled moved over logs and bumps. I pull a rigid jet sled all winter ice fishing including some hike in areas and I’m not sure it would be better but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it under the right conditions. The runners and front can build up snow also. They might be less tippy for the wider versions but not the smallest that I run. If there is a fair amount of incline or obstacles, I’d pack on my back. I’ve used game carts on old closed roads also.
IMG_8135.jpegIMG_8137.jpegIMG_8125.jpeg

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
The rolled up sleds work well IMO. I shot a cow down in a basin and packed the meat up to the rim in a few trips then sledded out the whole quartered animal a few miles downhill or flat. I like how the flexible sled moved over logs and bumps. I pull a rigid jet sled all winter ice fishing including some hike in areas and I’m not sure it would be better but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it under the right conditions. The runners and front can build up snow also. They might be less tippy for the wider versions but not the smallest that I run. If there is a fair amount of incline or obstacles, I’d pack on my back. I’ve used game carts on old closed roads also.
View attachment 778452View attachment 778453View attachment 778454
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like uphill and down timber aren’t the ideal situation. Could be handy to have either one of these in the truck and if the terrain allows it could make for a much easier pack.