Do majority of people sell there guns when they upgrade/replace with a new one?

SloppyJ

WKR
I have no problem selling or trading pistols. I regret selling my colt new agent and that's the only one out of about 20. No other reason than it was unique but not very practical. Only one I don't plan on selling is my Wilson EDC X9 and my colt snubnose 38 from my grandpa.

I feel the same way about ARs as I do pistols. I have a few SBRs I can't sell easily so I'll keep those.

All other rifles, I've never sold one. I could use some room in my safe and I have a couple that don't mean much that I'd sell but I have a harder time with it. I'm much more deeply connected to these for some reason. Hunting rifles have a soul it seems. They've seen things and certain memories are rekindled briefly when you pull them out of the safe. That's pretty special to me.

I have a handful of shotguns and all but one came from my family before me. The only one that I bought was to take when I wasn't comfortable hunting with my others or wanted to shoot 3s or 3.5s.

So after typing this out, it seems I value the guns that are attached to memories. Whether that be from hunting or from a loved one. I find it very unique that an inanimate object can spark such vivid and profound feelings that are beyond any sort of monetary value.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
started to wonder the other day if that much money tied up is wasteful

Kinda went through this a few years ago. It truly can't be defined as wasteful, because guns don't depreciate much or any if stored properly and will always have intrinsic value. A lot of them even gain value... I traded a $400 AR upper and a hundred bucks for a '94 Trapper AE a few years ago. Not even Nancy beats that rate of return.

elkguide

WKR
When I was younger and had less discretionary income, I bought, sold, traded, bartered to get the newest, latest, greatest thing that I just had to have. Looking back, I made some foolish and regrettable moves. Up until I had that terrible boating accident, I had a lot of really great weapons and if it wasn't for the boating accident, I would still have them.

Nope.
I never want to be that guy who says, "Man, I wish I still had that one."

I did give away an old 12ga once though...to a buddy on my bowling team about 40 years ago. He wanted something for home protection.

Unless it has sentimental or other intrinsic value, if it hasn’t been shot in a year I usually sell it.

As another poster mentioned, no need for clutter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hausser

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I end up keeping them and that is starting to be a problem. I sold 2 rifles in the last 15 years. I hate selling rifles and that’s probably why I had 3 each 300 PRC’s but sold one last year.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have a constant group of about 10 guns that won't get sold ever. They were given to me or I'm just that connected to them. Now the other ones come and go regularly. At 1 time I had over 100 guns when I was young, single and had plenty of free monies to blow. Now with kids and big boy bills I buy guns and sell guns whenever I get tired of them and want something else. My kids are going to have a headache when I die and start going through my hunting and shooting stuff. 😂

TxxAgg

WKR
I can only think of 3 guns I wish I'd kept. I tried counting all the guns I've sold and lost count around 40.

I am a minimalist at heart.

nobody

WKR
I only trade/sell what I’m not using or what doesn’t fit a use case. My thought is I’d rather have fewer firearms that are all of very high quality with solid optics and that fit me well than a higher number of guns that don’t fit me great or that never get used because I don’t love them. The exception to that rule is gifts or firsts of any kind, like my first shotgun that I got from my dad when I turned 12. It’s been relegated to “extra” status since getting a semi-auto for Christmas from my wife and now won’t get shot as much, but I won’t get rid of it.

I have no issue getting rid of them if they don’t fit a niche or get used/shot on a regular basis otherwise. Leaves more fundage for ammo. I also have pared down my cartridge load out to fewer total cartridges, makes it simpler to stock up on both ammo as well as reloading components.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like having guns around that sit and I don’t see myself using again. I sell those guns to help fund new ones.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I can only think of 3 guns I wish I'd kept. I tried counting all the guns I've sold and lost count around 40.

I am a minimalist at heart.
My wife and I were driving to the beach one day last year and I stopped on the way and traded guns with a nice fella. My wife asked me how many I'd sold and traded. Over the next few hours she had a list of over 150 and I stopped trying to remember. 😂 I've only got about 8 guns I can think of I wish I had kept.

Rich M

WKR
I am stuck with selling my FiL's guns that no-one wants. Anyway - some folks never sell guns, I only want 2-3. No desire to have 50 guns and 50,000 rounds of ammo.

elkguide

WKR
I am stuck with selling my FiL's guns that no-one wants. Anyway - some folks never sell guns, I only want 2-3. No desire to have 50 guns and 50,000 rounds of ammo.

Since I lost all of mine in a boating accident, I would be glad to help you lift the "burden" of having too many guns and too much ammo around!

taskswap

WKR
I have a rifle I no longer used prepped and ready to sell, with ammo, and can't bring myself to post the listing. I tell myself I'm being lazy but I think I may just be one of those "never sell" guys.

I ditch em. I don’t have the time/energy/money to have 20 different rifles and calibers. I have 3 or 4 good shooters and if I want something new, will sell to upgrade. I’ve got a buddy who always talks about wanting a badass custom gun but says he can’t afford it. Also has probably 15 rifles he never shoots collecting dust that would easily fund said custom.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Just thinking, does trading an old, cheap, beat up muzzleloader for a tanned beaver hide count as selling a gun? The gun didn't really work very well either.