Do I Need Nicer Glass?

c00p

FNG
I am going on my first elk hunt in late October - early November in Colorado. I have a pair of Vortex Crossfire HD binoculars and plan on using them as my main glassing tool. I know they are on the cheaper end but are mainly used for Eastern whitetail and turkey hunting, and are fine for those uses and ranges. My question is, should I spend money on getting new/nicer binoculars? Am I going to notice a difference it being my first hunt? Would that money be better spent on nicer binoculars or a spotting scope to accompany the binos I already own?

If I bought new binoculars, I was looking at something like the Maven C.1s. I have not looked much into spotting scopes, but I also have a Nightforce NX8 4-32 that I can utilize for glassing as well. Like I said this is my first backcountry hunt, so all advice in regards to glassing capabilities/needs/equipment is welcome. Thanks

Marble

WKR
The difference between what you have and the Mavens will be huge. But I would wait and see how much you like Elk hunting. If you love it, there will be other gear you'll want to buy.

Adding a quality tripod to any bino helps. Just a thought.

On rocks like podcast the other day, there was a guy who rents out equipment for western hunting. Go search the Rokcast podcasts and give a listen. Seemed like reasonable rates.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
DO NOT glass with your scope. WTF?!

That said. I own both Maven C1s and Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks are trash and since your Crossfire is below that, well... The Mavens are amazing for the price. You will notice a huge difference glassing into shaded areas and at dawn and dusk.

You do not need a spotter for elk. Buy a tripod for your binos.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of 30yr old Leupolds that still work fine for me. Go with your Crossfires unless you want better glass. Yes, you will see the difference and you will even notice it in the timber hunting whitetail and turkey especially at dawn and dusk. Whatever you do as said above NEVER glass with your scope!!!

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
Just my .02, but quality boots that do what you need them to will probably be a better investment just starting out. That was my first big upgrade on gear, and I have never regretted it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a line in the Geronimo movie with Wes Studi when he tells the cavalry officer You Have Good Glass and takes them🤙 Quality glass will basically last forever if taken care of. As a youngster I spent too much upgrading and then upgrading. Bought some Leupolds 30 yrs ago still have them and then bought Leica Geovids 20 yrs ago. That was a game changer and the clarity🤙 IF going to hunt country where Quality Glass can make a Big difference yearly I would look to buy what the budget can handle. Otherwise keep what you have and IMO opinion spotters are overrated for most of us and that money can be used much better elsewhere ie 10x binos👍

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
The difference between what you have and the Mavens will be huge. But I would wait and see how much you like Elk hunting. If you love it, there will be other gear you'll want to buy.

Adding a quality tripod to any bino helps. Just a thought.

On rocks like podcast the other day, there was a guy who rents out equipment for western hunting. Go search the Rokcast podcasts and give a listen. Seemed like reasonable rates.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I plan on using the Wiser Precision Quick Stix + Third Leg for this trip. Still deciding on which pan head, mainly debating weight/price.

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
DO NOT glass with your scope. WTF?!

That said. I own both Maven C1s and Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks are trash and since your Crossfire is below that, well... The Mavens are amazing for the price. You will notice a huge difference glassing into shaded areas and at dawn and dusk.

You do not need a spotter for elk. Buy a tripod for your binos.
If my bino glass is such bad quality and I don’t end up buying a nicer pair, why would my scope not be an alternative?

I used my Crossfire HD 12x50s on my first antelope hunt in WY a couple years ago. Got me a decent tripod and they worked just fine. I never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
Just my .02, but quality boots that do what you need them to will probably be a better investment just starting out. That was my first big upgrade on gear, and I have never regretted it.
Yeah I’ve bought nice Salewas, a new Exo pack, Zenbivy, etc. Just haven’t shown any love to my glass.

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
You don't glass with your rifle scope.

Get better binos, at least 10x or 12x, and put them in a good harness. You'll likely be using your binoculars a lot.
Why is it such a bad idea to glass with a rifle scope? Genuinely curious.

Why is it such a bad idea to glass with a rifle scope? Genuinely curious.
Because your rifle should only be pointed at something that your willing to kill. Never know what's going to walk out of the woods. Lots of other hunters tromping around buddy. Rifle only comes out once you confirm something with your binos.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
Why on earth would you point a rifle at something you are not prepared to destroy? Are you serious? Are you trolling?
I didn’t know what youre reasoning was for being so against using a rifle to glass. Quality, safety, or some other unknown reason. That’s why I’m asking these questions.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am going on my first elk hunt in late October - early November in Colorado. I have a pair of Vortex Crossfire HD binoculars and plan on using them as my main glassing tool. I know they are on the cheaper end but are mainly used for Eastern whitetail and turkey hunting, and are fine for those uses and ranges. My question is, should I spend money on getting new/nicer binoculars? Am I going to notice a difference it being my first hunt? Would that money be better spent on nicer binoculars or a spotting scope to accompany the binos I already own?

If I bought new binoculars, I was looking at something like the Maven C.1s. I have not looked much into spotting scopes, but I also have a Nightforce NX8 4-32 that I can utilize for glassing as well. Like I said this is my first backcountry hunt, so all advice in regards to glassing capabilities/needs/equipment is welcome. Thanks
you do not say if your current binos are 10x42 or something g else. That matters when determining what you may optimally need.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t know what youre reasoning was for being so against using a rifle to glass. Quality, safety, or some other unknown reason. That’s why I’m asking these questions.
trolling obviously.

Imagine you're walking along a wooded trail. You come around a corner and notice a dude in camo pointing a rifle at you. How would you feel?

As for binos, use the best you can beg, borrow, or steal (preferably the first two). Next to footwear and strong legs and lungs, quality binos are the finest tool you have against animals.