Do I need more clothing items? Sept CO Elk hunt

TheHammer

WKR
Sitka core LW hoodie is a piece of gear I’ve come to not be able to hunt without… I didn’t like my evo jacket. Tried it one morning, put it back in my pack. Haven’t worn since.

OP
N
Raingear is a frustrating need. Don't want to drop $200ea on a set that I might not use at all or maybe for just a few hours. But having it is necessary. I had used a pair of Cabela's space rain pants, but they are excessively loud when walking. I found a solid olive drab color on clearance from REI earlier in the year that I picked up. Looks quality, wears good. And I'm only $100 in on the set. I figure if I'm only gonna wear it in a rain storm, the solid dark color won't hurt me much. PS: In a different climate such as Alaska or pacific northwest rainforest, I'd approach Raingear a little more seriously.

Chilly in the morning, I only put on a beanie or thicker gloves if I was riding an ATV pre sunrise. Quick to shed it when hiking. Same for a thicker jacket or puffy. Unless there is an extreme forecast, it'll stay at the truck when dayhunting. Lots of Socks. Bring 1 1/2 times as many pair of socks as you expect to use.

My go to daily setup this year:
Bottom: Kuiu attack Pants with 3/4 zipoff merino baselayer

Top: Lightweight Merino Baselayer, Pelaton 200 Hoodie, Kuiu Guide All Season Jacket

Gaiters are First-Lite.
Merino baselayers are a mix of Cabela's Instinct and some Kuiu oulet
Thin Gloves, Thinner Beanie, Raingear, and Maybe a lightweight Cabelas Puffy Vest in my pack.
Hey Okiechasingelk, thanks for your reply. I totally agree.. I found some FL rain pants on sale but from what i read FL anything but baselayers aren't what they are cracked up to be... I've got some cheap cycling rain pants i carry with me so far. Im sure those are equivalent if not a bit nicer than the frogg toggs which seem disposable based on the amazon reviews i flipped through.

Jethro

WKR
thanks for your reply jethro, are all your tshirts camo?
I may have 1 camo, but most all solid. Synthetic or cotton. I'm not a warm weather merino guy. Muted colors, nothing bright.

I'm one that likes to split my pattern. I'll do solid up top, camo on bottom or vice versa. Even mix up patterns with my hat. I don't like a man size blob all in 1 pattern. I fully realize that clothing color doesn't really matter, but that's one of my superstitions.

I think you would be fine with what you have.

I like to have a neck gaiter. It's an underrated thermo-regulating piece, in my opinion.

My typical layering from the top down:

Fleece beanie/ball cap
Neck gaiter fleece or buff
First lite short sleeve
First lite hooded kiln or Kuiu peloton 200
Kryptek Valhalla if it's hot
First lite merino boxers
Kuiu attack/Sitka ascent pants
Merino over the calf socks.
Light gloves

Rain gear is Kuiu Yukon
Puffy is either Kuiu Kenai or Kryptek Ghar

You don't need very much stuff and most of it is weather dependent.

Throw an extra pair of socks in your pack.

Gaiters are a daily decision for me.

I own a softshell vest, it lives in my closet. No need to take it.

OP
N
Sitka core LW hoodie is a piece of gear I’ve come to not be able to hunt without… I didn’t like my evo jacket. Tried it one morning, put it back in my pack. Haven’t worn since.
thanks for your feedback TheHammer, that worries me a bit, what don't you like about the Evo jacket?
I may have 1 camo, but most all solid. Synthetic or cotton. I'm not a warm weather merino guy. Muted colors, nothing bright.

I'm one that likes to split my pattern. I'll do solid up top, camo on bottom or vice versa. Even mix up patterns with my hat. I don't like a man size blob all in 1 pattern. I fully realize that clothing color doesn't really matter, but that's one of my superstitions.
fair enough. I get what you are saying. It “feels good” to have a complete 3 layer outfit in the same camo color, but like you said I don’t think it matters much, scent and sound will get ya first before sight I’m assuming. I’ll add a few more of my favorite athletic breathable shirts to my packing list.

Jethro

WKR
thanks for your feedback TheHammer, that worries me a bit, what don't you like about the Evo jacket?

fair enough. I get what you are saying. It “feels good” to have a complete 3 layer outfit in the same camo color, but like you said I don’t think it matters much, scent and sound will get ya first before sight I’m assuming. I’ll add a few more of my favorite athletic breathable shirts to my packing list.
Yeah throw a couple tees in the pile. Especially truck camping. Its nice to have especially when leaving camp for an evening hunt. Sun can make it quite warm.

imo, you have too much clothing.

rolling into season 4 in CO with the same stuff

merino beanie - only for sleeping
ball cap
lightweight (120) merino hoodie
mid weight merino hoodie
puffy jacket
rain jacket
uninsulated sitka pants
gaiters

merino boxer briefs and socks, ideally a fresh pair per day

merino long sleeve shirt - only worn for sleeping

i used to bring along a softshell jacket, but after 2 seasons of not wearing it I've stopped packing it.

TheHammer

WKR
To each their own. But for me, the sleeves were too tight, it doesn’t stretch much. So I had to go up a size. Which then was too loose on my lower torso. I’m not a fan of baggy gear. Even with a base layer, it did not breathe well and I got pretty hot in it, it’s very noisy. The jet stream is a must have, can regulate temps and breathe better with that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
thanks 5MilesBack,
appreciate your reply. Would you mind sharing what merino bottoms you prefer?
I like Minus 33 because I can get them in a Tall. I use the lightest weight merino I can find because I only wear them for sweat control. I can't stand sweat just sitting on my skin. The merino wicks it right up. And I sweat a LOT when I'm elk hunting. Mostly because I'm always on the move.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you know of any budget or value rain gear?
Keep an eye on Ebay for a "Walls 10x" camo rain jacket in your size. They don't make them anymore, but they pop up on Ebay every now and then. I have a couple of them and while I rarely use them during elk season, when I do they work great. Should be able to find them for $30-$40. I bought a youth one a few years ago for my daughter and she loved that thing. But she outgrew it and now keeps asking me to find her an adult size, but I haven't found any adult smalls or mediums for that matter.

FWIW, don't worry about camo. Most of my stuff is solids. Ive had elk at 5 to 10 yards, never knew I was there. THey catch movement. Camo is not needed. That said, if you find stuff cheap that is camo, go for it!! :)

OP
N

OP
N
I think you would be fine with what you have.

I like to have a neck gaiter. It's an underrated thermo-regulating piece, in my opinion.

My typical layering from the top down:

Fleece beanie/ball cap
Neck gaiter fleece or buff
First lite short sleeve
First lite hooded kiln or Kuiu peloton 200
Kryptek Valhalla if it's hot
First lite merino boxers
Kuiu attack/Sitka ascent pants
Merino over the calf socks.
Light gloves

Rain gear is Kuiu Yukon
Puffy is either Kuiu Kenai or Kryptek Ghar

You don't need very much stuff and most of it is weather dependent.

Throw an extra pair of socks in your pack.

Gaiters are a daily decision for me.

I own a softshell vest, it lives in my closet. No need to take it.
thanks for the reply LongWayRound (u see that documentary style film with Ewan McGregor? one of my favorites). Glad to hear about the softshell vest, something i was considering. I won't now.

Jaquomo

WKR
Yes, yes you do need more. As much as you can afford, of as many different items as you can find on sale on Camofire and everywhere else. Then you store different stuff in different tubs for species/seasons, and convince your wife that the spare bedroom with the big walk-in closet is actually the "Cabelas Room" where all of your gear and clothes are stored.

I have four pairs of gaiters, maybe 15 pairs of boots, and enough other hunting clothes to outfit a platoon of guys who are 6'3" and 190-200 lbs. I give a lot away if it fits, especially to younger hunters (I was a Cabelas field tester and also had some sponsors, so that contributed to my problem). But I'm definitely a chronic, unapologetic clothes and gear junkie, and let's not even talk about fishing...

OP
N
Keep an eye on Ebay for a "Walls 10x" camo rain jacket in your size. They don't make them anymore, but they pop up on Ebay every now and then. I have a couple of them and while I rarely use them during elk season, when I do they work great. Should be able to find them for $30-$40. I bought a youth one a few years ago for my daughter and she loved that thing. But she outgrew it and now keeps asking me to find her an adult size, but I haven't found any adult smalls or mediums for that matter.
welp found some what look to be lightly used if at all 10x rain gear pants on ebay. the pattern isn't the best but i assume this will be "just get back to camp dry" type of clothing or just hang out until the storm passes.
$35 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/204705872768 i can go hunt in Hawaii now ha. thx for the tip.

do you recommend washing them or try to limit wash cycles? any tips?

OP
N
Yes, yes you do need more. As much as you can afford, of as many different items as you can find on sale on Camofire and everywhere else. Then you store different stuff in different tubs for species/seasons, and convince your wife that the spare bedroom with the big walk-in closet is actually the "Cabelas Room" where all of your gear and clothes are stored.

I have four pairs of gaiters, maybe 15 pairs of boots, and enough other hunting clothes to outfit a platoon of guys who are 6'3" and 190-200 lbs. I give a lot away if it fits, especially to younger hunters (I was a Cabelas field tester and also had some sponsors, so that contributed to my problem). But I'm definitely a chronic, unapologetic clothes and gear junkie, and let's not even talk about fishing...
haha thats funny. that 6'3" 195 fits just right hahaha.. What's your go to big game september setup?

OP
N
imo, you have too much clothing.

rolling into season 4 in CO with the same stuff

merino beanie - only for sleeping
ball cap
lightweight (120) merino hoodie
mid weight merino hoodie
puffy jacket
rain jacket
uninsulated sitka pants
gaiters

merino boxer briefs and socks, ideally a fresh pair per day

merino long sleeve shirt - only worn for sleeping

i used to bring along a softshell jacket, but after 2 seasons of not wearing it I've stopped packing it.
Hey ResearchingStuff thanks for your reply. That makes me feel better. What did you mean by season 4? Ur fourth archery season?