Do I need a soft shell?- Sitka Jetstream vs Simms Rogue

OP
E
I have a jetstream and I think I’ve used once. i don’t see a need for a softshell personally. A puffy and rain shell will be warmer and more effective most of the time
I agree for elk hunting, but I just can't get behind that the sheer for cost and use for things like pheasant deer and geese. I use my puffy a ton, but my rain gear is too expensive to go and bust brush or cattails with. I would hate to rip it, ruin the face and have to get another one for that kind of money

Maybe I'm crazy, well heck I know I am. If a guy only has 1 system I think you're right on the money.

Last edited:

Hondo

WKR
Thank you! Almost nobody has been able to compare them. I love that rogue hoody but I just don't have a way to compare it to the jetsream
The Jetstream also has a bit more stretch in the fabric it than the Rogue does giving it a lighter feel although the Jetstream is actually a few ounces heavier. I tend wear my Jetstream more in camp, in the truck, etc. than when hunting, but when the conditions are right I'm glad I have it.

OP
E
The Jetstream also has a bit more stretch in the fabric it than the Rogue does giving it a lighter feel although the Jetstream is actually a few ounces heavier. I tend wear my Jetstream more in camp, in the truck, etc. than when hunting, but when the conditions are right I'm glad I have it.
I think I have to get one. If I don't love it I'll sell it or gift it. I'm looking at a solid color one for some reason. I don't know why I do this to myself...

Love and hate them. Jack of all trades, master of none. Not quite waterproof enough to replace rain gear. Not warm enough for real insulation. Not cool enough to wear in higher temps.

when I am ounce counting on long hunts or hikes, i tend to favor rain gear + a puffy for warmth to weight. The exception is when I expect a lot of brush busting.

for shorter distance in temps from 30-60 I am usually wearing either a soft shell. My go tos from lightest to heaviest are a mountain jacket (need a hooded version please), jet stream and traverse hoodie. Yes. I am a Sitka whore. I also have a kuiu DCS that is my truck jacket (like the fit less than Sitka) and a first lite catalyst (doesn’t block wind)

its amazing how we can justify a 'need' for something like this. I for sure didn't need one. And I agonized over the $150 more than I have ever cared about $150 in my life. But it showed up from Eurooptic last night and the first thing I did was tell my wife to turn the A/C up so I could wear it around the house (jk, kinda).

I sized up and I am very happy I did

OP
E
Love and hate them. Jack of all trades, master of none. Not quite waterproof enough to replace rain gear. Not warm enough for real insulation. Not cool enough to wear in higher temps.

when I am ounce counting on long hunts or hikes, i tend to favor rain gear + a puffy for warmth to weight. The exception is when I expect a lot of brush busting.

for shorter distance in temps from 30-60 I am usually wearing either a soft shell. My go tos from lightest to heaviest are a mountain jacket (need a hooded version please), jet stream and traverse hoodie. Yes. I am a Sitka whore. I also have a kuiu DCS that is my truck jacket (like the fit less than Sitka) and a first lite catalyst (doesn’t block t

its amazing how we can justify a 'need' for something like this. I for sure didn't need one. And I agonized over the $150 more than I have ever cared about $150 in my life. But it showed up from Eurooptic last night and the first thing I did was tell my wife to turn the A/C up so I could wear it around the house (jk, kinda).

I sized up and I am very happy I did
What did you end up going with!?!

I'm the same way. Sweating about buying it, but I'll take her out to dinner and drop 90$ no problem....

What did you end up going with!?!

I'm the same way. Sweating about buying it, but I'll take her out to dinner and drop 90$ no problem....
If that is for me and I had to pick one jacket it would be the Sitka jet stream. I would size up so I could layer under it for cold weather use.

meddlecho

FNG
I'm torn to buy another. There are instances where it would come in handy for the weird days I have snow and 30 degree weather. Have a FL Catalyst, but that thing does not perform, was disappointed so it's basically an expensive sweater I wear around town. I'm between the Kuiu Axis Hybrid and the Stone Glacier M7. On the plus side I know I'd wear those casually too. I look around around for cheaper alternatives, but nothing really hits all the features I want.