Do I need a soft shell?- Sitka Jetstream vs Simms Rogue

Hey guys,
I have realized I might be a gear whore... specifically for clothing. It's a problem, but you guys help scratch the itch and have a variety of experience so I figured I'd ask.

Sitka Jetstream is on sale.
Do I need one?

Here's what I do most-
Spring turkey, September elk (probably don't need it for this)
Fall goose,
Archery Deer
Pheasants
A little rifle deer hunting with my wife and father in law.

I have a Simms rogue hoodie that is a bit of a soft shell. Its not warm. Its lightly water resistant and its pretty wind resistant, I have a hooded simms rogue vest that is the old style (had the sleeves removed and it fits wY better now.) That is a better wind barrier than anything else I own besides my rain gear. Since it's a hooded vest I usually run it over a hoody, and I love that vest.

Do I need a jetsream? Will it fill the need for any of the above hunting? What is the best use case for the jetstream? Help me understand better- when do you wear yours?

People really seem to love the Jetstream, but having never touched it I don't know how warm it is in relation to the simms Rogue that I currently own. Anybody got experience to compare then?

Thanks a ton guys. In training this week for work so I'm going over what I have and need for this fall.

rideold

WKR
I have an old 90% jacket and pants get up. Solid gear and I'm a huge believer in the soft shell especially for warmer weather, light precip and shoulder seasons. I use the pants every hunt but the jacket gets shunted to backup once later seasons start in favor of an insulating layer and a hard shell.

Beckjhong

WKR
Totally dependent on you and where you hunt.

Me, I run way hot and hunt in WY. Most of the time I’m in a baselayer +/- wind shift. A fleece lined soft shell would be too much for me. But a lightweight soft shell/wind resistant layer is legit.

OP
E
Totally dependent on you and where you hunt.

Me, I run way hot and hunt in WY. Most of the time I’m in a baselayer +/- wind shift. A fleece lined soft shell would be too much for me. But a lightweight soft shell/wind resistant layer is legit.
I'm not so much thinking of it for elk, but it would probably be in the truck. I'm thinking deer in a stand, pheasants in late November, turkeys, etc.

Thoughts?

Beckjhong

WKR
Everybody’s temp setting is different. If it’s windy, no/light precip and you’re static, could be decent. Or could be better off with heavier insulation and a wind blocker. Or rain layer.

OP
E
Everybody’s temp setting is different. If it’s windy, no/light precip and you’re static, could be decent. Or could be better off with heavier insulation and a wind blocker. Or rain layer.
How warm is the jetstream as a standalone?

OP
E
I'm glad you asked the question. I'll 80% of the way there in buying one myself.
It's so tough because I really want one! But do I need it?
I don't know! I have a Simms rogue hoodie which is basically a soft shell and a really cheap soft shell from Gander back in the day that is not warm at all, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it for what I do. So many guys love them, but man If I can buy another more useful piece....

rideold

WKR
Softshell warmth varies quite a bit. My 90% is pretty perfect but I have a Timberline my dad gave me that is pretty thin. The Jetstream my wife's cousin has looks a bit warmer than the Timberline but I haven't worn it. The hood on the Timberline is worthless. Too small to fit over anything and too thin to do much. I'd thought I would buy a Jetstream at some point to replace my 90% but it just keeps going and shows little wear! I wear the Timberline to walk the dog.

Kurts86

WKR
I run the jetstream a lot when I’m day hunting. It’s reasonably forgiving in a multitude of conditions and perfect in few to none. It’s not going on a backpack hunt due to the warmth to weight ratio and packed volume but it lets me be sloppier on layering up and down.

I run cold and I like it while moving in cold weather or during moderate output situations like still hunting. Its at its best when it’s spitting rain or snow but not dumping. It’s not particularly warm when stationary and it’s a fair bit colder in a treestand than say the Sitka stratus. It’s quieter than most down jackets so I use it during colder early turkey season hunts or later antelope hunts.

I really like the durability and pocket setup on the jetstream. I definitely like the forearm pocket for diaphragm calls.

Ultimately it’s a very good softshell jacket. Whether or not that’s your thing is personal. It’s an attractive piece of gear now that they are just over $200.

OP
E
I run the jetstream a lot when I’m day hunting. It’s reasonably forgiving in a multitude of conditions and perfect in few to none. It’s not going on a backpack hunt due to the warmth to weight ratio and packed volume but it lets me be sloppier on layering up and down.

I run cold and I like it while moving in cold weather or during moderate output situations like still hunting. Its at its best when it’s spitting rain or snow but not dumping. It’s not particularly warm when stationary and it’s a fair bit colder in a treestand than say the Sitka stratus. It’s quieter than most down jackets so I use it during colder early turkey season hunts or later antelope hunts.

I really like the durability and pocket setup on the jetstream. I definitely like the forearm pocket for diaphragm calls.

Ultimately it’s a very good softshell jacket. Whether or not that’s your thing is personal. It’s an attractive piece of gear now that they are just over $200.
I found one on sale for 140 which is why I'm even considering. For 200$ I think I could pass. For this price, man I don't know. I know my simms rogue does a decent job with wind and light precip, but is not warm at all. I did not understand that about soft shells at first so I froze my tail off in just that and a baselayer the first October hunt with it.

If you weren't worried about weight- IE treestand or pheasant hunting etc... would you run one?

Yup, I have and I would upland hunting where I'd be beating brush. Normally I wear a Carhartt vest with whatever shirt and take my beating to the arms. The softshell would give some light rain and wind performance over that setup. Suppose I'd also wear it flyfishing/floating where I didn't need much insulation and the chance of rain didn't dictate bringing a rain jacket.

Pretty slim use cases. Myself, I'd save the $, but I can be a cheap bastard sometimes.

OP
E
Yup, I have and I would upland hunting where I'd be beating brush. Normally I wear a Carhartt vest with whatever shirt and take my beating to the arms. The softshell would give some light rain and wind performance over that setup. Suppose I'd also wear it flyfishing/floating where I didn't need much insulation and the chance of rain didn't dictate bringing a rain jacket.

Pretty slim use cases. Myself, I'd save the $, but I can be a cheap bastard sometimes.
Since I have a Simms rogue, maybe I'll hold off. I really want one and I don't know why.... I don't need another piece of gear collecting dust. However, if it's something I will use... boy that sale price is nice

Hondo

WKR
The Simms Rogue hoody is a great piece, but the Jetstream has many advantages over it for hunting. It is quieter, far more windproof, and has pit zips to dump heat when needed. Not saying you "need" it in your kit, but the pricing on it right now is certainly tempting.

OP
E
The Simms Rogue hoody is a great piece, but the Jetstream has many advantages over it for hunting. It is quieter, far more windproof, and has pit zips to dump heat when needed. Not saying you "need" it in your kit, but the pricing on it right now is certainly tempting.
Thank you! Almost nobody has been able to compare them. I love that rogue hoody but I just don't have a way to compare it to the jetsream