Do Hunters Effect Antler Genetics

WRO

WKR
Absolutely, I know of a few ranches that were overhunted and every 4 point died for generations. They now have bad forked horn and 3 point genetics and good 4 points are hard to find.

S.Clancy

WKR
Data has shown in both whitetail and mule deer that "antler genetics" are primarily related to in vitro and maternal condition. Kevin Monteith has a great study on whitetail in South Dakota. Whether you want to believe it or not, genetics play little role.

WRO

WKR
Data has shown in both whitetail and mule deer that "antler genetics" are primarily related to in vitro and maternal condition. Kevin Monteith has a great study on whitetail in South Dakota. Whether you want to believe it or not, genetics play little role.

Huh, that doesn’t match generations of observations in the field.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
It feels to me like Shooting the bigger young deer has to have an impact but bet it is less than we think. Habitat for great animal health both buck and doe health likely a bigger factor.
Also in humans at least the body condition good or bad of both mom and dad at time of conception plays a role in the characteristics expressed by the offspring[our kids]. So even though our genes dont change our health and environment can influence offsping traits.

AHayes111

FNG
However, places like S.E. MT there has to be something going on with the amount of pressure and everyone killing any 4x4 no matter size. There are copy and paste 3x3 and 3x4s all over that country but traditionally was not like that. I'd say a big swing to that prevalence in the last 10-15years
I am not willing to say that all the 4x4s have been shot out of SE MT. I will say with SE MT terrain, MT's long rut season and plentiful doe tags, hunters can afford to be very selective with the bucks they want to shoot. The 4x4s are shot at a young age and the bucks that only have three points or less live longer. This is why we seeing more and more threes and big two points.

AHayes111

FNG
I often see the same antler traits recurring in the same places. The best example of this is on two winter ranges less than five miles apart. In one of the winter ranges 6 of the top ten bucks grew brow tines of better than five inches. On the other winter range 5 of the best ten had no brow tines and none of the bucks had a brow tine longer than three inches.

EdP

WKR
This is an interesting study but it doesn't appear to be relevant to the OP's question because it is looking at two different populations. The question of hunter effects on antler genetics, or the expression of those genetics, only applies to the population being hunted.

The Book Cliffs in Utah went to a 4x4 or better hunt in the 1990s before closing down for several years. Now there are an abundance of 2x3 mature deer running around.

WRO

WKR
Generations of observations used to believe disease was caused by bad spirits until Louis Pasteur provided evidence for the Germ Theory of Disease.

You can believe whatever you want, doesn't mean you're right.

I see you don’t even know how to interpret the study you posted, it has nothing to do with total point count, just overall antler size and body size based off winter conditions. They’re not mutually exclusive items.

Go get another booster shot.

Last edited: