Do Hunters Effect Antler Genetics

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Any actual studies (or opinions)? I'm a bit torn between these two schools of thought....
On the one hand, hunters are killing the bucks with the largest antlers. Example would be an average hunter comes across a couple of 3-year old bucks, one having a 3-point frame and the other having a larger 4-point frame. Almost all will shoot the larger 3-year old deer. When the rut comes along the older bucks that survive will breed multiple does. I've heard people say that you can't shoot the genetics out of a herd because the does contribute 50%. But... if that mature 3-point is breeding 5-10 does a season he is a much larger contributor to the herd. Multiply this scenario thousands of times per hunting season, and a generation every year and one would think antler genetics would be on a decreasing trend.

On the other hand, I've read studies that the health of the buck (in the womb, as a fawn, and during the antler growing season) is a larger contributor to antler size than genetics. If this is the case, then I would lean towards the notion that hunters are not affecting antler genetics to a large degree.

Bugger

FNG
Individual deer definitely can transfer interesting antler characteristics, but I’m not aware of anywhere in the country where an irregular configuration is more popular than a standard frame. The standard “typical” as defined by B&C seems to be the strongest genetic trait and all others are recessive and will pass with time or would take hundreds/thousands of years to become more popular for an evolutionary reason or lucky chance. A lot of people forget that the big buck already fathered a bunch of fawns, and a lot of young deer breeding does are passing the same genetics they would in 5 years as a 200” monster.

High fence selective breeding is its own thing entirely though.

EdP

WKR
High fence selective breeding is its own thing entirely though.
Yes, and this is done because of hunters and the desire to shoot deer with big antlers. The breeders breed deer with freakish antlers for this reason alone. To me, the problem is that we can never selectively breed for a single characteristic, genetics just doesn't work that way. With one trait that is selected for comes other traits that are often not desired. Hip dysplasia in dogs is an example as is susceptibility of Rottweilers and Dobermans to cancer. As yet I don't think we know what other traits deer will exhibit when selectively bred for antler growth.

Braaap

WKR
Check out the Rokcast episode Robby did with Kevin Monteith. They go into this a bit, great episode.

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0

Marble

WKR
The few things that affect antler growth, coming from biologists that I have listened to remover the last year, are the mothers' health during pregnancy, weight of fawn/Calf at birth and available habitat.

Genetics seem to play a role, but not as large as I thought.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Also listen to the Rokcast (and GoHunt podcast, though not as good 😉) with Brock McMillan from BYU. He mentions in the podcast that the average antler size of the vast majority of mature deer will never break 165-170” or something like that (if I understood him right). Even with good habitat, mom’s health at birth, etc. Those 200” deer are truly bucking (pun intended) the trend of the average and truly are rare, statistically an anomaly. I think he said it’s less than 1% will ever achieve this size. He also mentioned the idea of “letting them grow another year” will likely only cause a buck to grow maybe 5” more, until they hit 5-6 years old, and then they will stop or regress. So shooting a 3 year old deer vs a 5 year old deer will at most mean the difference of 5-10” (on average). Again, I’m going off memory so please forgive me if this information is incorrect or poorly worded.

He mentioned that there is so much interbreeding between the herd that it’s hard for genetic prevalence to take place. So I would say genetics don’t have much to do with it and “luck” has more to do with it than anything else.

Last edited: