DIY Trekking Pole Strengthening

So, I'm on a quest for a super sturdy trekking pole. My question is whether I can reinforce it at the joints to decrease the chance of it snapping on a rugged descent. Maybe something I could strap or tape on. I would like to keep the ability to break it down, at least one of the joints.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you actually snapped a joint before to merit reinforcing them? If so were they a quality pole in the first place? The main damage to poles happens when you get them stuck and keep going forward which either bends aluminum poles or blows up carbon ones but that is typically mid span of the pole section.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
This may or may not help but I used to guide mountaineering on the cascade volcanoes where everyone used and often abused trekking poles on a daily basis. From what i observed the most reliably strong poles were actual downhill ski poles. They weighed about the same and I never saw one fold except for broken baskets occasionally. The next most durable were the the two piece black diamond poles with the flick lock. The three piece flick locks by BD and other quality brands did ok too but they still broke occasionally. I saw a twist lock pole or an off brand pole die almost every trip, I carried a small hose clamp to crank onto them when the lock would fail. I'm not sure what you could do to strengthen joints but I've seen splints made of the sticks or tent stakes before. good luck

Snyd

WKR
I'll second the Black Diamond 2 piece poles with flick locks. Mine have survived 9 sheep hunts and are on the 9th downhill ski season.