DIY Moose Hunt Price

Cyril

FNG
I think the thing that has made the prices rise more than anything is knowledge. The fact is 20 years ago not many people knew it was a possibility, it seemed like an unobtainable goal, some exotic experience intended for a lucky few. The internet, hunting forums, social media, YouTube has put these opportunities in everyone’s face and they know, “I can do that”.

The point is, for me personally, if I was born 20 years earlier, I may never have gone, because I wouldn’t have been exposed to the knowledge of the possibility. My father didn’t hunt and my grandfather who introduced me to it didn’t have those types of aspirations. He was content to listen to a pack of beagles howl on a crisp fall or winter morning or watch a group of geese set their wings in his hand made goose silo’s.

The internet is a blessing and a curse. There are so many things I never would have been able to do myself without it even in daily life, car repairs, plumbing, electrical work etc…you can always find a video on how to. But it definitely has factored into the inflation and demand for outdoor experiences and gear. It also causes a lot of social tension and anxiety for people, particularly children.

But yes, $20k for diy moose is not in my price range. It is not about if I can afford it, it is more about what I won’t be able to do after spending $20k on one moose hunt. With that money my wife and I could do one diy moose hunt in AK, one diy elk hunt in the lower 48 and spend a week in Paris on a relaxing vacation.

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
I think the thing that has made the prices rise more than anything is knowledge. The fact is 20 years ago not many people knew it was a possibility, it seemed like an unobtainable goal, some exotic experience intended for a luck few. The internet, hunting forums, social media, YouTube has put these opportunities in everyone’s face and they know, “I can do that”.

The point is, for me personally, if I was born 20 years earlier, I may never have gone, because I wouldn’t have been exposed to the knowledge of the possibility. My father didn’t hunt and my grandfather who introduced me to it didn’t have those types of aspirations. He was content to listen to a pack of beagles howl on a crisp fall or winter morning or watch a group of geese set their wings in his hand made goose silo’s.

The internet is a blessing and a curse. There are so many things I never would have been able to do myself without it even in daily life, car repairs, plumbing, electrical work etc…you can always find a video on how to. But it definitely has factored into the inflation and demand for outdoor experiences and gear. It also causes a lot of social tension and anxiety for people, particularly children.

But yes, $20k for diy moose is not in my price range. It is not about if I can afford it, it is more about what I won’t be able to do after spending $20k on one moose hunt. With that money my wife and I could do one diy moose hunt in AK, one diy elk hunt in the lower 48 and spend a week in Paris on a relapsing vacation.
You are 100% correct! When I was younger I didn't even know a DIY moose hunt was attainable & thought a guided hunt was out of reach. I started watching DIY moose hunts on youtube and thought to myself, "if these guys can do it, I can do it".

Let me rephrase that though - "I wish I was born 20 years earlier and know what I know now" ;)

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
i will say the best you can do for saving price is to become an alaskan resident but i doubt the flying out cost will be less in the future to come. luckily when you can find a plane that can fly you out here in the yukon it is way less but still some money ...

Gpw

FNG
I recently look into diy moose hunt in ak and was blown away with the cost. Ended up booking a hunt in Alberta for half the cost of Alaska. Definitely not a yukon moose but I’ll be fine with that.

Del Gue

FNG
Me and two buddies did a DIY moose hunt in Alaska five years ago. We were not successful due to the 50'' wide or 4 brow tine minimum. It was a great trip regardless. We ended up spending about $3,500 per person.

FAAFO

FNG
I’ve done 7 fly out moose hunts, all successful and total cost including tags, flights, fuel etc and total cost is around 28,000. Im gearing up for my 8th this fall and it’s looking to be about 2500 per person just for the flight. Add in travel and food and it’s going to be about 3500 a person. Prices are definitely up but what isn’t in life. I’m working on a beautiful Saturday for OT and today’s $$$ will pay for the offset in prices going up. Don’t wait. Go do your dream hunts. Prices will just go up!

Just booked a hunt for me and my wife in Sep. the transport flight in and out is 8k. Add $3500 if we fly out two moose. Raft rental is about 2k. $900 for airfare to Alaska. Plus tags.

At minimum it’s going to be about $6000 per person. Will be in a unit with antler restrictions but was assured we would have opportunities at legal bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
Fly out moose hunt $5000 door to door from Arizona. Add $2K if successful getting meat out of the field and back to Az

OP
Robinhood21
Fly out moose hunt $5000 door to door from Arizona. Add $2K if successful getting meat out of the field and back to Az
I agree that this can be done for a fraction of the price as both of my trips have been. Just thought it was wild that $16k-$20k for a DIY hunt was a thing. Perfect example of supply and demand.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
How about in Canada?
the diy hunts in canada are very tricky and many juridictions means you need to use the service of guide or outfitter if you re not a resident of the hunting juridiction.

in the Yukon this is the case and we have as well a special guiding opportunity where a resident can guide a friend non resident but canadian resident except for sheep,deer,elk, goat and grizzly: in the past you were able to do a moose/caribou combo but because few abused the system and were paid to do so it is now moose or caribou.
BC is offering the same kind of opportunities. i do think Alberta is doing the same as well.
since 2018 quebec is not offering anymore the DYI in the whole province but it was very tricky on the crown lands anyway even for resident ...
alaska offered in the post the opportunity for hunting for us for deer and black bear at least but has been removed a while ago.

i will say do hunt a DIY in alaska whike you can as you never know when the legislator can or will remove that opportunity for whatever reasons like hunting pressure or G/O political pressures.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done 7 fly out moose hunts, all successful and total cost including tags, flights, fuel etc and total cost is around 28,000. Im gearing up for my 8th this fall and it’s looking to be about 2500 per person just for the flight. Add in travel and food and it’s going to be about 3500 a person. Prices are definitely up but what isn’t in life. I’m working on a beautiful Saturday for OT and today’s $$$ will pay for the offset in prices going up. Don’t wait. Go do your dream hunts. Prices will just go up!
Where is this land lost in time?

AKDoc

WKR
...Perfect example of supply and demand.

Absolutely accurate, sir...also add the significant rises in fuel and labor costs, etc., as well as overall inflation over the years. In the past ten years my costs have nearly doubled.

That said, it is what it is, and I am happy to pay what I pay for the solitude of the remote experience...no regrets whatsoever and I don't look back at the money spent...just gratitude for the experiences, year after year.

Care to share your secret to keeping the cost down? I’m assuming a cheap transport to and from field? How far is your flight into the field? We are going out 300 miles. There are only 2 people I found (or that referred to me) out of 3 that fly out to this area.

Maybe if I spent more time I could have found a cheaper transporter. It was bad enough that I had to use two different transporters. Neither had the same dates to and from field so I had to book one in and a different out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk