DIY Kodiak-USFW cabin rentals?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m in the planning phase of a DIY Kodiak trip. Has anyone stayed in one of the Fish and Wildlife cabins and based out from there? Wondering if that’s worth it or would you be better off just getting dropped off and tent camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
We stayed in a couple different USFW cabins for 16 days on Kupreanof Island about 9 years ago. DIY for silvers, cutthroat and bear. Great cabins with fairly easy access. We flew into Kodiak and contacted an outfitter in Petersburg to drop us off and pick us up. What are you looking to do?

My buddies have. dont have to bring as much gear and you got hard sides around you, but there will be people there when you pull up for your stay and there will be people right behind you when you leave. Might have to travel further to get into less pressured areas.

Another issue could arise if bush flights get back up. Your pilot might be backed up and a pilot from another company might drop off people who have the cabin so now there is 2 groups hoping to use the cabin. Happened to my buddies but luckily they were all able to stay in the cabin together for one night.

OXN939

WKR
As stated above, the areas around the cabins get a lot of pressure and game adapts to that just like anywhere else. They're a fun stay for sure, but wouldn't be my first choice for a really serious hunt.