DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

My info is officially nearly 12 months stale (moved about then) but PM me happy to chat
Hey @Tahoe1305
Anyway I could ask you some questions too. I’ve been researching the public draw hunt pretty hard. I tried to send you a PM but it won’t let me. I’ve been a member for a while but I just read I don’t usually post (I guess that’s what I get).

Tahoe1305

WKR
Hey @Tahoe1305
Anyway I could ask you some questions too. I’ve been researching the public draw hunt pretty hard. I tried to send you a PM but it won’t let me. I’ve been a member for a while but I just read I don’t usually post (I guess that’s what I get).
Sure thing PM sent.
Link below for the greater team on this years public hunt. Definitely limited but it’s open as of now.

Anyone looking for info on hunting here in Hawaii PM me. I have been stationed here on Oahu for the past 10 years and will gladly help you. It took me some time to get all the info I have and would like to help out other where I can.

That’s a great offer, plan on me hitting you up in the not too distant future. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone looking for info on hunting here in Hawaii PM me. I have been stationed here on Oahu for the past 10 years and will gladly help you. It took me some time to get all the info I have and would like to help out other where I can.

Amazing offer. Planning a trip to HI with the wife for a 10 yr anniversary. As much as I want to turn it into a hunting trip, not sure I can actually pull it off.

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
I will be heading to Maui next year for Axis and hogs. I have family on the island that have a 500acre macadamia nut farm. If it weren’t for this it wouldn’t be with it for me . Family tells me it’s almost all private and the public spots aren’t worth the time. Iam not sure about the other islands , hopefully someone chimes in with some good intel on one of the other islands. Good luck to you

I will be heading to Maui next year for Axis and hogs. I have family on the island that have a 500acre macadamia nut farm. If it weren’t for this it wouldn’t be with it for me . Family tells me it’s almost all private and the public spots aren’t worth the time. Iam not sure about the other islands , hopefully someone chimes in with some good intel on one of the other islands. Good luck to you

I can’t speak to the axis or hog hunting, but there’s excellent Spanish goat hunting on Maui.

From last month.
0c31f9c6b7a3499db9e1186f1d957bfd.jpg

JLMUELZ

FNG
Amazing offer. Planning a trip to HI with the wife for a 10 yr anniversary. As much as I want to turn it into a hunting trip, not sure I can actually pull it off.

What island you looking at?

HoneyDew

WKR
I can’t speak to the axis or hog hunting, but there’s excellent Spanish goat hunting on Maui.

From last month.
0c31f9c6b7a3499db9e1186f1d957bfd.jpg

Spanish goat on Maui is on my list. Were you hunting? Did you go public or private land?

. Family tells me it’s almost all private and the public spots aren’t worth the time.
that is correct most of the public land on maui is pretty poor and all of the deer is private. Molokai same deal. Lanai has the state hunt but they drastically cut the tags and lining up housing/transport logistics are a huge hassle. @ak300saum there was a guy who recently passed away that had a couple houses and lots vehicles that was rented out so maybe that was who you were trying to contact. they are no longer available so inventory has shrunk. A lot of other short term properties that were rented out to hunters were rented out to long term tenants because there was no state hunts for a whole year.

Last edited:
I was researching Axis hunts for a while, but stopped once Covid hit. I wanted to take a trip with my brother for a long time, but we live on opposite ends of the country and drawing tags at the same time hasn’t happened. I’m thinking the private land Lanai hunts sound the best - fewer people is key to me and it sounds like you just plan in advance and get tags. Obviously, there are all the logistical challenges once you get there....thanks for the info on that stuff. Still have to figure all of that out.

One question I never asked was about success rates. Are there significantly different success rates on the public side vs the private? What are the general odds of success? I know many factors go into this, but just looking for any idea.

JNDEER

WKR
I was researching Axis hunts for a while, but stopped once Covid hit. I wanted to take a trip with my brother for a long time, but we live on opposite ends of the country and drawing tags at the same time hasn’t happened. I’m thinking the private land Lanai hunts sound the best - fewer people is key to me and it sounds like you just plan in advance and get tags. Obviously, there are all the logistical challenges once you get there....thanks for the info on that stuff. Still have to figure all of that out.

One question I never asked was about success rates. Are there significantly different success rates on the public side vs the private? What are the general odds of success? I know many factors go into this, but just looking for any idea.

I am no expert- but this is my take.

The island is full of deer. The "private" side archery area gets hunted EVERYDAY of the year.. yes, EVERYDAY.. can you still find and kill a deer in this archery area- yes, but give yourself time to do it.

The private side rifle hunts. If you are a competent hunter there is no reason why you both cannot kill at minimum one deer (you can kill 3) during your one day rifle hunt.

Private side has no - tags - you pay to play with a HI hunting license
(all private side info was pre-covid. I am unsure on how they will proceed)

Never hunted the "state" side but you would need to draw tags for this hunt.

Logistics are another story. Can be done, but it will also be costly.

if you don't care about killing a buck- there are guides on Molokai that do doe only "meat" hunts on the cheap and is a far better option, IMO, if you just want to kill an axis.

Having done both- i will confirm that the axis on Molokai taste as good as the axis on Lanai. Best meat in all 50!

Tahoe1305

WKR
I helped jluigi with some info on archery private land (unguided) on Lanai and he went a few weeks back. He may chime in with his latest first hand opinion.

we chatted a bit after his hunt and he was able to get on some decent deer without a vehicle even just huffing it out of town.

I would say the opportunity on private vs public on Lanai is about equal if you have enough days to figure out the movement patterns, work a few different spots, and get a bit lucky.

I think for archery private is the way to go because it is so cheap. For rifle paying the $$ for private, if you can afford it, being able to go year around will result in a good hunt. I’d book at least three days if traveling from the states (vs being from islands).

it’s hard to put odds. But I’d say if you just want a deer on the ground and you hunted hard with a rifle for 3 days it would be near certain. If you wanted a trophy buck maybe 30% for the same.

archery I would say a full week would get you meat and a full week going after a trophy would probably be close to 30% still. These are pretty subjective.

Hard part is they travel in massive herds. The Picts are a small zoomed in section of a larger group of probably 80-100 moving together. Tuff to get a arrow at a buck with that many sensors.

there are A LOT of deer on that island.

Attachments

• 1FAEE5EF-D05C-48F2-BCB7-BF535BA94A95.jpeg
    1FAEE5EF-D05C-48F2-BCB7-BF535BA94A95.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • A308B8E8-49B8-4067-9246-14F9160C8C45.jpeg
    A308B8E8-49B8-4067-9246-14F9160C8C45.jpeg
    898.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
archery its very low on both. the public land state hunt the deer aren't as conditioned, but there's a lot of hunters pushing them all around so you have to hunt the pressure as much as the deer. usually around 10% for the week. private side is pounded by residents all year and i think even more difficult. even pounded harder this year because lots of ppl weren't working for a while. you'll see deer but killing them is a whole other deal as there are very alert herds esp on private. the amount of wind you have makes a huge difference in your hunt too.

an3290

FNG
I helped jluigi with some info on archery private land (unguided) on Lanai and he went a few weeks back. He may chime in with his latest first hand opinion.

we chatted a bit after his hunt and he was able to get on some decent deer without a vehicle even just huffing it out of town.

I would say the opportunity on private vs public on Lanai is about equal if you have enough days to figure out the movement patterns, work a few different spots, and get a bit lucky.

I think for archery private is the way to go because it is so cheap. For rifle paying the $$ for private, if you can afford it, being able to go year around will result in a good hunt. I’d book at least three days if traveling from the states (vs being from islands).

it’s hard to put odds. But I’d say if you just want a deer on the ground and you hunted hard with a rifle for 3 days it would be near certain. If you wanted a trophy buck maybe 30% for the same.

archery I would say a full week would get you meat and a full week going after a trophy would probably be close to 30% still. These are pretty subjective.

Hard part is they travel in massive herds. The Picts are a small zoomed in section of a larger group of probably 80-100 moving together. Tuff to get a arrow at a buck with that many sensors.

there are A LOT of deer on that island.
Would love to chat! I head to Lanai in 3 weeks for the nonresident archery hunt.

JLMUELZ

FNG

I have hunted the private rifle once and killed my biggest Axis buck (right at 30 inches) within five minutes of shooting light. Have done the private bow a couple times with little success.

Haven't hunted private the last several years and have only gone on the state hunt with pretty good success. With a rifle your success rate should be very high on either private or public. There is an insane amount of deer on that island.

jluigi

FNG
Would love to chat! I head to Lanai in 3 weeks for the nonresident archery hunt.
Hi I replied to the other forum talking about my experience and I cant figure out how to send you guys PMs...sorry. If you guys want to chat please send me a PM and I will reply with my number. Sorry I am struggling over here but this was my girlfriend and I's first bow hunting experience and it was amazing. We were unsuccessful but I would love to help in any way I can to make sure others have a great time as well.