DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

Tahoe1305

WKR
I would be super interested in information on hunting Axis deer. I have a buddy and also my girlfriend and I who have been talking about this for a couple years but don't really know where to start.
My info is getting 2+ years dated. There are some others I have passed info to in recent years that May have better data.

Logistics aren’t easy. Lots of deer though.

Someone else who has gone in last 12 months hopefully will pipe up and assist.

At least 4 guys that have chimed in on this thread have already gone this summer or are going in the next month, I’m in the latter camp. So there should be some first-hand info to share from across the group shortly.

Sconan

FNG
I got back about a month ago, there were deer around but not as many as I was expecting. Only hunted two days diy style and blanked on axis deer, I did get 2 mouflan sheep though. Dm me and we can set up a time to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applied for 2023 rifle lotto today. Was also digging around on the Lanai website, seems like they haven’t updated their private land hunting info since Dec 21, so all pricing documents and guidelines all specify calendar year 2022. Hopefully they update their stuff for 2023 in the next few months. The calendar that would show reservation for private land hunts also says last updated August 2021 — I’m gathering that the only way to get up to date info on the Lanai private land hunts for next year is to call the permit office and don’t rely on anything on this website. I’m gonna wait to make any moves on that til after the lotto drawing in December then make some plans from there. With the daily permit for private land, is there a bag limit? Only mention of it in their published rules is “Bag limits and special conditions shall be stated on the Company Hunting Permit or an attached specially prepared instruction sheet for specific hunts.”

Tahoe1305

WKR
Applied for 2023 rifle lotto today. Was also digging around on the Lanai website, seems like they haven’t updated their private land hunting info since Dec 21, so all pricing documents and guidelines all specify calendar year 2022. Hopefully they update their stuff for 2023 in the next few months. The calendar that would show reservation for private land hunts also says last updated August 2021 — I’m gathering that the only way to get up to date info on the Lanai private land hunts for next year is to call the permit office and don’t rely on anything on this website. I’m gonna wait to make any moves on that til after the lotto drawing in December then make some plans from there. With the daily permit for private land, is there a bag limit? Only mention of it in their published rules is “Bag limits and special conditions shall be stated on the Company Hunting Permit or an attached specially prepared instruction sheet for specific hunts.”
Again info is more dated then their website, but my last private land hunt was 2 female sex and one male. So you can shoot a buck or a ram and the a mix of two sheep/deer females per day.

Hi everyone,
This was a very informative thread to read and I appreciate all the contributors. I have a hunt scheduled for July 2022 on private land "rifle B". I am curious if anyone has hunted that area and could give me some guidance.
Did you wind up executing on this hunt plan?

Edit: Just noticed your post above, I'll shoot you a PM.

Last edited:
For guys that have been and know the terrain and vegetation, did you use or wish you had a bipod or shooting sticks?

Tahoe1305

WKR
My 2 cents is you can normally find a spot to brace your rifle out there. But a bipod is always a good idea. The grasses in some areas can get a bit tall so a longer bipod could be helpful. But again not required….just a nice option.

Sconan

FNG
Hey guys, i know most people use bob the butcher, and he is great. But if you want to process your own animals on lanai you can rent freezer space from Ronald Woolsey (808) 563-9730 he has a nice new walk in freezer and was able to freeze all our meat in a night. We took the frozen meat, packed it in coolers and made the coolers our checked bags on the flight back to CA. He has very reasonable prices and is a friendly and nice guy.

Rover31

FNG
I'm going to derail this thread potentially.
If so I can start another thread.
I am going to the big isle after the first of the year.
I would really like to take my bow and hunt pigs. One of my boys would like to go also.
Any hints on how to make that happen?

TahoeBlue

FNG
I got back about a month ago, there were deer around but not as many as I was expecting. Only hunted two days diy style and blanked on axis deer, I did get 2 mouflan sheep though. Dm me and we can set up a time to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi @Sconan, I’m putting a last minute trip together to hunt lanai. My friend from CO and I managed to convince our wife’s for a few days away from our Maui vacation to pop over to Lanai to hunt some axis. If you have any tips for putting together a axis or mouflan by rifle, would be greatly appreciated. Seems like a lot of info is out of date, since things are recovering from COVID. Unfortunately, I’m new to the forum so I can’t PM you. Thanks for your time.

I'm going to derail this thread potentially.
If so I can start another thread.
I am going to the big isle after the first of the year.
I would really like to take my bow and hunt pigs. One of my boys would like to go also.
Any hints on how to make that happen?
I’d start with the Hawaii DLNR website, there are maps and regulations specific to each island there. If no opportunities there on public might have to just do some
Google searching for guided private land stuff.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Hi @Sconan, I’m putting a last minute trip together to hunt lanai. My friend from CO and I managed to convince our wife’s for a few days away from our Maui vacation to pop over to Lanai to hunt some axis. If you have any tips for putting together a axis or mouflan by rifle, would be greatly appreciated. Seems like a lot of info is out of date, since things are recovering from COVID. Unfortunately, I’m new to the forum so I can’t PM you. Thanks for your time.
Your going to have to hunt guided private land on Lanai at this point, which means you might as well stay on Maui and do the same without the additional traveling expense and hassle.

It’s not a private hunt in that sense. Half the island is private owned and you can hunt certain areas of it for each method of take. If you look at that link and explore a bit you can see the maps layout for the island. The price is per person. PM me if you like and I’ll send you my cell and can provide more assistance.
Hey tahoe. I'm heading over to hawaii towards the end of Nov. and am interested in someone taking my wife and I on a DIY axis deer hunt. PM or email me if you're interested in making a few bucks for what you already know.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Hey tahoe. I'm heading over to hawaii towards the end of Nov. and am interested in someone taking my wife and I on a DIY axis deer hunt. PM or email me if you're interested in making a few bucks for what you already know.
Sorry buddy I moved away a few years back. Colorado boy now!

Get logistics squared away (hardest part) and book a few days with the ranch (unguided) and you’ll find some animals for a reasonable price. Details how to schedule the private land and even some contacts for logistics I think I’ve seen in these threads.

TahoeBlue

FNG
Planning an unguided Lanai hunt on private in July. Karen said the available units are B & C. Does anyone have experience hunting these units or a strong preference of one over the other? Tips/good areas would be greatly appreciated!

Planning an unguided Lanai hunt on private in July. Karen said the available units are B & C. Does anyone have experience hunting these units or a strong preference of one over the other? Tips/good areas would be greatly appreciated!
A5C4FBB9-CBDF-4E81-9888-E65F057BBC2A.jpegI haven’t hunted rifle units but I prefer Archery 1 and from what I have seen on the south side I would think either would be good. Unless you are trophy hunting and are comfortable out to 300 you can surely limit out daily with a rifle.

TahoeBlue,
I have hunted Lanai 4 times in the last year. 3 of them on the private side. The entire island is crawling with deer and sheep. Plan to start your day down low and hunt uphill and up wind. Move slow and glass ALOT. Deer tend to stay low and sheep up high in the more rocky and grassy areas. Move slow, be prepared to shoot 400 yards and you will have success. The true trophy class animals tend to stay in the guided section, but I have seen some nice bucks outside that area and harvested a full curl ram on the state hunt. I have taken deer and sheep on every trip to Lanai.

I’ll be huntin state land for the youth hunt with my son and the first week of state rifle in March. Then bow and gun on private in May. I reserved B and C for my rifle days. Not sure where I’ll go for archery just yet.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
View attachment 497488I haven’t hunted rifle units but I prefer Archery 1 and from what I have seen on the south side I would think either would be good. Unless you are trophy hunting and are comfortable out to 300 you can surely limit out daily with a rifle.

Is the fencing up yet in archery area "1"? Heard it had started, but have not seen any confirmation.

JNDEER

WKR
TahoeBlue,
I have hunted Lanai 4 times in the last month. 3 of them on the private side. The entire island is crawling with deer and sheep. Plan to start your day down low and hunt uphill and up wind. Move slow and glass ALOT. Deer tend to stay low and sheep up high in the more rocky and grassy areas. Move slow, be prepared to shoot 400 yards and you will have success. The true trophy class animals tend to stay in the guided section, but I have seen some nice bucks outside that area and harvested a full curl ram on the state hunt. I have taken deer and sheep on every trip to Lanai.

I’ll be huntin state land for the youth hunt with my son and the first week of state rifle in March. Then bow and gun on private in May. I reserved B and C for my rifle days. Not sure where I’ll go for archery just yet.

Good stuff PD!

What island you on? 4 times in a month!!- you got some family for sure cause house/truck for that many trips is a mainland elk hunt - lol.